Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2020, 02:33 PM   #1

My new (not so new...) Radio

Just thought I would share the radio details as to what I purchased and installed, albeit ~4 years ago (:>) seeing how many of us are unhappy with the factory radio. The radio that I am sharing pics of here and that I installed a few years back uses an older version of the Android software, however the newer versions of similar android 10” radios have the newer android software. I haven’t had any issues though even with the older android version, I will say it is not superfast at changing from one app to another, but quick enough, only 5~10 seconds.

What makes this radio unique for me is its size and capabilities. This radio is huge at 10” diagonal which is the size of many handheld tablets. Fortunately, our E450 based Class C’s have plenty of dash space to accommodate the large footprint. The large screen makes it great to see it while driving down the highway for sure.

Regarding the capabilities, because this is android based, you can install all the same apps that you can install on an android phone (at least all I installed which is many). In addition, I can use my Iphone in car-play mode on this radio for making phone calls and other car-play apps.

The apps I like most which makes the entire radio more useful for me are: Google Maps (nice and easy to see), Myradar which uses the built-in GPS to update the current location and prevents me from unknowingly driving into a storm, ODB Fusion, which shows you a dashboard plethora of data (Including a transmission temp gauge), and the hands-free phone (it can use a sim card but I use carplay to leverage my current phone plan). It also has inputs for cameras such as my backup camera which I wired the camera to be on anytime the key is on, this allows for me to view my toad while going down the highway by simply choosing the camera app, however my rear camera has audio which kills the radio whenever I turn on the camera view (I plan to investigate my options one of these days). It is good to hear the audio at times such as backing into a campground spot where you can hear your assistant’s directions if that is important to you.

Pros: Large Display and many apps to choose from. Great audio as well because it has a built-in equalizer to fine tune the audio sound.

Cons: You better know a lot about wiring something like this (or hire someone to install it) as the instructions are not great and there are a lot of wires including a gps antenna and a wifi antenna (which was included although the original wifi antenna didn’t work so I purchased a different one that was stronger anyway). The install required a lot of effort including removing the trim panel and overall, it is definitely not a plug and play radio.

Was it worth all the effort I used to install it? Absolutely, hands down the best radio I have ever owned in particular for our Class C RV’s due to all the apps it can run. I highly recommend a 10” Android based radio if any of you need to replace your oem radio, but to emphasize this point and to be very clear, I have the skills and ability to install these and it was definitely the most challenging radio install I have ever done so keep that in mind. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6953.jpg   IMG_6963.jpg   IMG_6966.jpg   IMG_6969.jpg   IMG_6977.jpg  

Old 12-18-2020, 08:30 PM   #2

How does it get the OBDII / Canbus data to display engine metrics? Where does it connect?

thanks!
Old 12-18-2020, 09:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
How does it get the OBDII / Canbus data to display engine metrics? Where does it connect?

thanks!
I am using a bluetooth ODBII adapter that plugs into the ODBII port under the dash. It can use bluetooth or a wifi ODBII adapter, I chose the bluetooth in order to keep the wifi available for other apps such as google maps. You can get a similar dashboard just by using an android or iphone if you like, I was using my ipad for a while before this primarily for the transmission temperature gauge. ~CA
Old 12-18-2020, 10:24 PM   #4

This is the one I have but there are others similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Kitbest-Bluet...omotive&sr=1-1
Old 12-19-2020, 11:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
This is the one I have but there are others similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Kitbest-Bluet...omotive&sr=1-1

Thanks!

yep I have that ELM327 clone and a couple of others!
Good to know!!!

I don't recall seeing the PID for transmission temperature.
Did you find an online source for most of the Ford PIDs?
Old 12-19-2020, 11:33 AM   #6

Hi pconroy,

When I first installed the radio, (actually before then when I was using my phone for the odb apps), I, like yourself couldn't find a PID for the Ford Transmission temperature and was looking at two apps, torque pro and forscan which are both similar as well as online websites for the pid to no avail.

I don't remember where, but I found out that the "ODB Fusion" app supports the Ford Transmission Temp natively, where when you choose to add a new gauge and look at the list of choices, the list shows the transmission temp in a friendly name, in other words, I didn't have to enter the PID for it as it was already in the software (seems like there were two for the trans temp but only one worked). I will check and see if it also lists that pid and if so share that with you.

The trans temp was one of the most important gauges for me so I didn't go back and see if I could lookup that pid and add it to either of the other apps. I have 3 odb apps in the radio, but only use the ODB Fusion app which does list the trans temp. I want to say that I thought the ForScan app also had the transmission temp listed as well, I will let you know. In any case, I settled on using ODB Fusion which has it by default along with a lot of others pids and options such as a trip minder... and more things than I will ever use. ~CA
Old 12-21-2020, 07:20 PM   #7

I checked my settings this weekend, I am using the OdbFusion app with the "Ford" add-on installed and in the list of items to set a gauge up is an option for the transmission temperature. The app does not show me what the PID is however.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:27 PM   #8

ok - thanks! I appreciate you looking for it.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:17 PM   #9

For those who might like to check into the OBDII apps which will work on not just this radio but also with most smartphones and tablets, as well as our Ford Class C's. I just realized that I kept calling it ODB Fusion instead of OBD (II), so the software I use for these additional gauges is OBD Fusion (not odb) however there are similar OBDII software gauges, but none of the other OBD apps I tried had an option for the transmission temperature which was most important for me. ~CA
Old 12-23-2020, 09:00 PM   #10

I've got a few ODBII readers, one's USB based serial. I supposed I could "sniff" for the PID but that would involve a lot more mental effort than I can muster these days.

Tags
radio, rear camera, transmission temp gauge