Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2023, 02:58 PM   #1

My solution for Jayco’s extension cord

After much thought I finally fixed that PITA shore power cable! I got tired of pulling the shore power cable through the hole in the bottom of the compartment than trying to roll it up and shove it in the cubby hole of a compartment.

I cut and installed a RV Smart Plug it fits perfectly in the compartment, it’s hidden, out of sight and weather proof.

Before installation with plate removed

Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	88293
ihunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:00 PM   #2

After sorry forgot to take pics during installation

Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	88294
Old 05-30-2023, 03:06 PM   #3

Don’t know why pic keeps changing to sideways

Attachment 88299
Attached Thumbnails
image0.jpg  
Old 05-30-2023, 03:47 PM   #4

SMART choice! I installed a Smart Plug in my trailer over a year ago. So much better than the old style and completely waterproof. It's well worth the money!

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 04:40 PM   #5

What is the purpose of pulling the cable down through the hole? I've never used it, just pulled the cable through the door and left the door ajar. Am I missing something?
Hilltopper9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper9 View Post
What is the purpose of pulling the cable down through the hole? I've never used it, just pulled the cable through the door and left the door ajar. Am I missing something?
Critter access.....
Old 05-30-2023, 05:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Banging in the wind.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:26 PM   #8

Yep critters, banging and water getting in also way much easier storing the cable.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:48 PM   #9

This is on my year 2 list. This is a great approach as it vastly improves the experience yet no drilling into the side of the camper.

Can’t justify it as a priority given the many other immediate upgrades but it’s a solid approach.
jasonthegreyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthegreyhawk View Post
This is on my year 2 list. This is a great approach as it vastly improves the experience yet no drilling into the side of the camper.
There is only a cut out to do which is the plate. What I’ve done was using the rubber gasket outlined the hole and cut it about a 1/8” larger so the receiver can fit into it. Also, the electrical housing add a couple of bolts and large washers to reinforce to the back wall. Not hard to do just a 20 mins extra to do the this task.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:06 AM   #11

Quote:
I've never used it, just pulled the cable through the door and left the door ajar.
X2
Old 05-31-2023, 09:24 AM   #12

Nice job.

Since I always bring a 30A extension cord with me, I put the female end of the extension through the bottom opening of that compartment and plug it into the RV 30A plug. The extension cord is then plugged into the post at the RV site.

This way, I won't have to pull the RV cable through that bottom opening to set up camp and having to try rolling it back up when packing up to leave. All I need to do is unroll and roll up a separate extension cord.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
Nice job.

Since I always bring a 30A extension cord with me, I put the female end of the extension through the bottom opening of that compartment and plug it into the RV 30A plug. The extension cord is then plugged into the post at the RV site.

This way, I won't have to pull the RV cable through that bottom opening to set up camp and having to try rolling it back up when packing up to leave. All I need to do is unroll and roll up a separate extension cord.
Thanks

Another great idea!
Old 05-31-2023, 02:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post

That's not a problem provided you are using the proper gauge size of wire that can handle the load. The longer the cord the more voltage drop that can occur, as well as a higher resistance to current flow, which generates heat and reduces the power to whatever you are operating at the time. Don't go cheap when buying extensions..

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:50 AM   #15

Alternative to OP project:

I also decided to change the PITA hardwired connection the first time I retrieved the shore cable back through the access hole and then cram it in the available space. My before picture shows part of the reason, all the debris and mud that gets picked up by the cable and ends up in the storage compartment. Instead of removing the cable entirely, I cut it at a convenient length so that I could still make the connection without the need to get on my hands and knees to reach into the back of the compartment. Mating NEMA L5-30 twist-lock connectors were installed on the cable ends (these are the same connectors used in the marine environment for many years, and will mate with a variety of accessories).

Key got'chas are:
  • Make sure to install the male end (L5-30P) on the cable that remains connected to the RV, and the female end (L5-30R) on the end of your modified extension cable. You DON'T want a cable with male connectors at both ends as this is a safety hazard.
  • Don't remove too much of the outer jacket - you will want the end of the jacket to end up within the closed part of the connector for correct strain relief.
  • This is a DYI project without factory overmolded connectors, so they are not waterproof; that shouldn't be a problem as long as the connection is always kept within the compartment and you don't drag the modified extension cable through the water and mud.
Hope this helps someone...
Attached Thumbnails
SPResize_Before.jpg   SPResize_ConnectorsPair.jpg   SPResize_L5-20R_Assembled.jpg   SPResize_After.jpg   SPResize_Connected.jpg  

2018 Greyhawk 29MV
dc_mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_mystic View Post
Alternative to OP project:

I also decided to change the PITA hardwired connection the first time I retrieved the shore cable back through the access hole and then cram it in the available space. My before picture shows part of the reason, all the debris and mud that gets picked up by the cable …..
Hope this helps someone...
Another good option!