Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #1

Mysterious water leak

It's a 2017 Melbourne 24M.
At least twice, a cup or so of water has pooled in the bathroom on the floor to the right of the toilet.
This does not happen every time we are out.
There seems to be no consistent pattern for the water leak. We have dry camped, hooked up at RV parks, etc. We never know when the leak will occur.
Any thoughts?
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:28 AM   #2

It might be a low spot in the floor, and the water is just gathering there.

I had a leak like that under my bathroom sink, I could not find it. I finally took a little toilet paper (TP), and a bit of scotch tape, and placed a few sheets strategically where I thought the water might be coming from. Eventually I was able to track it down to a poor black sewer pipe glue job. It took a few months to find it.

The TP when it gets wet, wrinkles, and stays deformed. From there you can keep working your way back to the source.

Just an fyi, I had brought it into the dealership for some other warranty work, an they could not replicate it. But once I tracked it down, and showed them photos, it was quickly fixed.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #3

Jagiven: Great strategy............I will do that.............!.............
Old 05-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #4

A couple member mention there flush handle was the cause.Rebuild kit was available. Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
A couple member mention there flush handle was the cause.Rebuild kit was available. Thanks
There have been some threads in the last week or so about the Thetford toilet foot pedal leaking. Search for those threads. Possible cause of your puddle to the right of the toilet.

Also, I had a similar puddle to right of the toilet that I determined came from our shower. The caulking on our glass shower enclosure doesn't stay sealed and using the shower would cause water to drip under the glass panel, onto the floor and to the toilet if the toilet side was slightly lower on level than the shower side.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #6

When our 2017 had a leak in that area and sometimes it would leak thru floor and drip on ground. I taped a piece of toilet paper on the connection behind toilet and discovered it was loose so I tightened by putting one hand on each side of fitting and it stopped.
Ne sure to post where your leak source was so others can fix theirs
bm9201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #7

Is it a Thetford aqua magic 2?, if so replace with a dometic 310 or 320 and like magic the problems go away. Serious that toilet has issues with needing rebuild kits after rebuild kits then it leaks or wont hold water then one night or when your gone it fills the black tank and then it floods your camper.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleback View Post
Is it a Thetford aqua magic 2?, if so replace with a dometic 310 or 320 and like magic the problems go away. Serious that toilet has issues with needing rebuild kits after rebuild kits then it leaks or wont hold water then one night or when your gone it fills the black tank and then it floods your camper.
Using the pump and fresh water tank would have detected this pretty quickly as the pump would have been cycling on and off continuously. Pump works as a leak detection system, if you get my drift.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #9

I have had this problem on our 08 Eagle HT fiver. Usually happens when we set up after towing the trailer. Found out that the water line that supplies the toilet is exposed in the front storage compartment. The supply line gets bumped around, causing the flush valve at the back of the toilet to unseat just a bit. Just reach around the back of the toilet and re-seat the valve, and the leak stops.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #10

The only place I can easily access is directly behind the toilet bowl, just above the hole in the floor..........And I just wrapped a few pieces of toilet paper around that joint.
We removed 2-3 screws from a small panel on the lower left wall behind the toilet, but we could not actually pull the panel out cuz the toilet bowl kind of jams it in......We did remove a panel on the lower right behind the toilet bowl, which exposed the black pipe that runs up and into the wall to the right and also exposed a one-inch diameter hole in the wall through which several wires run..........
As for access to the water control unit on the outside of the coach, nothing is easily accessible from there...........
I worry about taking the RV to Camping World, at least at this point, for fear that will not be able to find the leak (which is intermittent) and thus will remove all sorts of things and then not reinstall it correctly...........
For now, I will patiently try to toilet paper trick and will monitor other water usage--such as does this happen when we shower, or not; when we flush, or not, etc...........
Old 05-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #11

Good luck to you, I'm sure with the toilet paper and patience you'll find your leak.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote