Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #1

NC Quick Pass Transponder - EZ Pass

I am new to the concept of tolls, coming from a Western state rural area. We are taking a family trip from Washington State to New York, then South to various Eastern states before ending up in Branson MO, and finally back to our home in Washington.

I read the threads here and on other sites, but the various accounts seem to sometimes disagree. So I called and talked to the folks in NC Quick Pass (seems to be the most reasonably priced system), but want to match that info up with your experience here.

1. The lady said I would have one account, but register both my Greyhawk and my Jeep. She said I would receive a transponder ($7.49) and an EZ Pass card (?).
2. She said while towing the jeep, I would put the transponder in my front windshield of the motorhome(she wasn't concerned about the overhang on the Class C) or on the dash.
3. She suggested not having the EZ Pass card in the MH or the jeep as I may get double charged (she even suggested just tossing it).
4. She said when the MH was parked, I could just move the transponder from the MH to the jeep.

Does this agree with the collective wisdom of this group that actually lives in the states with EZ Pass???
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #2

Not sure about NC, but I traveled, IL, IN, OH, PA, NY, WV, FL on the toll roads with only the moveable transponder in the MH and never had an issue. The toll scanners also count axles and that is how you are charged. Same applies with a trailer or FW. And yes just put it in the TOAD if we were traveling around and back on toll roads.

Just remember if your going to FL that the EZ PASS is NOT accepted on the FL Turnpike only the other toll roads.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Not sure about NC, but I traveled, IL, IN, OH, PA, NY, WV, FL on the toll roads with only the moveable transponder in the MH and never had an issue. The toll scanners also count axles and that is how you are charged. Same applies with a trailer or FW. And yes just put it in the TOAD if we were traveling around and back on toll roads.

Just remember if your going to FL that the EZ PASS is NOT accepted on the FL Turnpike only the other toll roads.
Awesome...thanks
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #4

I have three on my window.

Denver area only
Florida and Georgia
out east, Virginia, Maryland, New York State

Not sure if any of them are usable anywhere else, this is just where I got them to use. None of them apply to the other areas.

All promise to refund the deposit I have in them if I cancel or surrender them.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Not sure if any of them are usable anywhere else, this is just where I got them to use. None of them apply to the other areas.
Just drive through any toll lane marked 'E-ZPass', and you will be good to go with your account in good standing. Current E-ZPass States: Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia and West Virginia.

And now FL except the Turnpike.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #6

Check this one out. It does them all including the Florida Turnpike: https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass-xtra/
Old 04-12-2019, 06:49 PM   #7

I don't know about the rest of you with Class C's like our 29MV, but our EZPass transponder from NY does not work most of the time when placed either on the windshield or is sitting on the dash. It became so frustrating (especially in the lanes that are not manned and have a gate that raises) that I took the transponder and used several heavy rubber-bands to secure it to a yard stick which DW holds out the passenger side window as we approach the toll booth. It looks silly, but it hasn't failed us yet. If any of you have any suggestions for a better option, please let me know.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #8

I tried the pass in the windshield, it did not work. Illinois offers a license plate mounted pass, I ordered it and it worked in most places , but not all. I then mounted the license plate pass on the grill. In the photo you can see it above the ford emblem. It's been there for almost 2 years now, and it has worked at every place that accepts it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3471.jpg  
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #9

Well, you can always use Aviation Grade Velcro and mount it on your bug deflector!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote