Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2021, 11:17 AM   #1

Need a water pump on/off solution.

When traveling in our class C I’ve been keeping the water pump in the off position because my outdoor kitchen faucet was turned on one time when something in that compartment shifted. I have everything secured as best as possible, (luckily I found it at a fuel stop and it was barely running and did not fill they grey tank), but I guess anything in RVing is possible even when you take proper measures.

The issue of having it in the off position is when I’m driving, and DW uses the bathroom, she will yell, “hey the pump is off I can’t flush or use the sink”, (she forgot to turn it on on her way to the back AGAIN!). My thought is to either run a wire with a lighted switch from the bathroom, directly to the pump which is directly below and to the side of my bathroom. She, or anyone using would have to click it on then off when done. My other choice would be to use a wireless remote system I found on Amazon connect that to the pump. This would not require anything other than connecting to the pump.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082DBHGKT...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I have 2, 3way switches already, one at the main panel snd the other in the outdoor shower compartment. I know there must be a relay somewhere, that I could jump our, but I can’t seem to locate it in my 2019 Redhawk 25R.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:41 PM   #2

I ran a separate wire to my bathroom for that exact reason. We have a separate entrance from the outside to the bathroom but the only pump switch was by the front door. Now you can enter from the outside, power the pump, flush and then shut the pump down. I did separate pilot light right next to the door so it "should" remind everyone to shut the pump!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:43 PM   #3

Why I leave my wife at home

Dog never forgets.... Bushes don't care
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:13 PM   #4

Interestingly enough, I purchased these for a similar purpose. I am replacing my outdoor shower box (which is about 8" away from the pump, and the pump is next to the toilet in the bathroom vanity). I found that the new outdoor shower box didn't have a cutout for the rectangular switch for the water pump which is in the current shower box. These only need a circular hole otherwise I would have re-used the switch I already have, as it is easier for me to drill a good hole vs cutting out a rectangular hole.

In any case, you could get this or a similar switch and parallel the switch wires that are in the shower box (hopefully it is close). I didn't see a relay, but will take a closer look, as it appeared the wires from the outdoor shower box switch went directly to the pump wiring, (one of the wires to the + pump, one wire to the 12v+ power, and the last wire to the ground for the switch light).
Attached Thumbnails
RV-LightCapture.jpg  
Old 03-16-2021, 04:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
Why I leave my wife at home

Dog never forgets.... Bushes don't care
If you only knew how long I just giggled!
Old 03-16-2021, 05:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Interestingly enough, I purchased these for a similar purpose. I am replacing my outdoor shower box (which is about 8" away from the pump, and the pump is next to the toilet in the bathroom vanity). I found that the new outdoor shower box didn't have a cutout for the rectangular switch for the water pump which is in the current shower box. These only need a circular hole otherwise I would have re-used the switch I already have, as it is easier for me to drill a good hole vs cutting out a rectangular hole.

In any case, you could get this or a similar switch and parallel the switch wires that are in the shower box (hopefully it is close). I didn't see a relay, but will take a closer look, as it appeared the wires from the outdoor shower box switch went directly to the pump wiring, (one of the wires to the + pump, one wire to the 12v+ power, and the last wire to the ground for the switch light).

Thanks Craig. Yes, I’ve seen those switches. What I would really love is a momentary switch on a timer that you push and latches for 60 seconds and goes back to open circuit . Having a hard time finding one.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Thanks Craig. Yes, I’ve seen those switches. What I would really love is a momentary switch on a timer that you push and latches for 60 seconds and goes back to open circuit . Having a hard time finding one.
You need a momentary switch and one of these. You can purchase a relay harness to plug this into to make things easier.

https://www.delcity.net/store/Time-D...04415.h_804416
Old 03-16-2021, 06:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
You need a momentary switch and one of these. You can purchase a relay harness to plug this into to make things easier.

https://www.delcity.net/store/Time-D...04415.h_804416
Thanks Craig, perfect. Jayco just sent me this schematic. It doesn’t make sense to me. I thought these were 3 way switches? No travel wire. So must be a relay somewhere. If I use the relay you suggested, you think there will be any issues?
Attached Thumbnails
67C02C72-4E14-4D91-A8F4-314FEBB5CD91.jpg  
Old 03-17-2021, 08:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks Craig, perfect. Jayco just sent me this schematic. It doesn’t make sense to me. I thought these were 3 way switches? No travel wire. So must be a relay somewhere. If I use the relay you suggested, you think there will be any issues?
The relay I shared is a "delay on break" relay, which would give you the timer aspect you were asking about. I don't think there is a relay already in use normally and not needed if you don't want the time delay aspect. The switches are just common spst switches with a light in them. ~CA
Old 03-17-2021, 02:43 PM   #10

You could add a water pressure accumulator to your system. It would give enough reserve to flush and lightly wash hands. Also it gets rid of the annoying pump surge. https://www.amazon.com/Seaflo-Accumu...6013869&sr=8-4
Swill4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swill4wd View Post
You could add a water pressure accumulator to your system. It would give enough reserve to flush and lightly wash hands. Also it gets rid of the annoying pump surge. https://www.amazon.com/Seaflo-Accumu...6013869&sr=8-4
That’s a great idea! Thanks Swill4wd, I’ll look in to it.

So correct me if I’m wrong, it stores water under pressure, has a bladder that creates the pressure? I know the high-end rigs have them.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:30 PM   #12

Quote:
That’s a great idea! Thanks Swill4wd, I’ll look in to it.

So correct me if I’m wrong, it stores water under pressure, has a bladder that creates the pressure? I know the high-end rigs have them.
I installed one on my trailer along with the "silencer kit" (just flexible hoses that go between the pump and the PEX piping). ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. Stopped the hammering and cycling of the pump, and quieted it down nicely. In that rig, it was under the kitchen sink, and after the upgrades, I could just barely hear it sitting on the couch across from the kitchen sink.

Did the same thing in my Greyhawk, and it worked pretty well, but I need to get in there and adjust; it's still too loud for my taste. It lives right under where DW sleeps. Doesn't seem to bother her, but it bothers me.

The accumulator will hold a bit of water, probably enough for one flush, maybe. That's for the "standard" ones. But you could also get a bigger one if you wanted. But then you might have some fitment issues. In my camper, the little compartment where the pump lives is pretty tight (which is why I need to get in there and make an adjustment; it's still banging on something in there).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:09 PM   #13

Yep, just a little bladder tank, about the size of a 2 liter bottle. I believe you charge it with air to about 30? psi. They come in many configurations, male or female threads etc.

Unfortunately my pump is behind my water valve panel, can only find it by braille. I guess I`ll start taking out screws.......
Swill4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:21 AM   #14

An accumulator doesn't need to be near the pump. Anywhere on a cold water line after the pump would work.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:10 AM   #15

How well do these bladders empty out if you blow your lines out for winterization ? I travel north for the holidays and only do pink in my drains and holding tanks.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:32 AM   #16

Hi Johnny-- I wonder if you might mitigate your issue from another angle- I am sure you can find a aerator with a positive on off button, like a shower head has, then if the main valve came on from a bump, it would still not cause a problem.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Hi Johnny-- I wonder if you might mitigate your issue from another angle- I am sure you can find a aerator with a positive on off button, like a shower head has, then if the main valve came on from a bump, it would still not cause a problem.
Thanks Randy, but I’m not quite sure what you mean about an aerator with on/off Button. Can you elaborate on this a little more, or perhaps show me a part?

John
Old 03-18-2021, 08:04 AM   #18

Hi Johnny- I did a quick Google search, this is for a shower but depicts what they look like... I assume? they make them for sinks, but this is small enough, it could work for a sink application??
https://www.build.com/delta-52652-pk...17?uid=1907341
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Hi Johnny- I did a quick Google search, this is for a shower but depicts what they look like... I assume? they make them for sinks, but this is small enough, it could work for a sink application??
https://www.build.com/delta-52652-pk...17?uid=1907341
I understand now, but I’m wanting to be able to keep my water pump off while driving and have the option of turning it on from the bathroom, where I don’t have a switch. So this would help with the outdoor kitchen faucet, I’m still concerned about a leak or anything else that can and will happen. I also want to conserve power when boondocking by keeping everything off that I can. I’m considering installing an Accumulator Tank Like others have recommended. It will solve surging problems as well as supplying a little water when pump is off. I’m still researching and excepting advice at this point.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:16 AM   #20

Quote:
How well do these bladders empty out if you blow your lines out for winterization ? I travel north for the holidays and only do pink in my drains and holding tanks.
Mount it vertically with the connections down, and there should be no issues.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote