Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2021, 12:01 PM   #1

Need advice on Hitch mounted Cargo Rack for scooter

We have a 2017 Melbourne 24L. The hitch is rated for Max Gross of 500lbs. We are about to purchase a Vespa Vespa scooter with a dry weight of ~350lbs. any advice on a hitch-mounted platform w/ramp? in general? thanks

Ken
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:01 PM   #2

You might consider having the hitch reinforced. That 500 lbs. may not include the force involved when going over bumps and ruts in the road. Especially if you intend to ride it onto the rack.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:24 PM   #3
Site Team

And you'll have a rack that weighs roughly 80 to 100 lbs, on top of the Vespa's weight.

There's the option of a M/C/scooter specific carrier.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hit...e_Carrier.aspx

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:00 PM   #4

the idea of reinforcing the hitch sounds like it might be a good idea in any case. the trailer carrier also sounds good if it reduces the extra length of the rig. sounds like I need to chat with the trailer folks to see if the aluminum rack at 400lb capacity would withstand the weight of the scooter as well as a driver for mount/dismount.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:59 PM   #5

Keep in mind the 500# hitch rating is right there at the hitch. When you have a carrier like you are talking about extended further away from the receiver the downward force is much more and is also more of a twisting action. For example, if you can lift a 10lb weight up close to you, try holding it out at arms length, this same action will take place on your hitch as the weight will be a few feet away from the hitch and that distance will be leverage that is working against you. The hitch still may be strong enough but for safety's sake and to protect your scooter and RV, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the hitch reinforced or perhaps replaced with one that is rated for more weight if you can find one. ~CA
Old 02-22-2021, 11:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Keep in mind the 500# hitch rating is right there at the hitch. When you have a carrier like you are talking about extended further away from the receiver the downward force is much more and is also more of a twisting action. For example, if you can lift a 10lb weight up close to you, try holding it out at arms length, this same action will take place on your hitch as the weight will be a few feet away from the hitch and that distance will be leverage that is working against you. The hitch still may be strong enough but for safety's sake and to protect your scooter and RV, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the hitch reinforced or perhaps replaced with one that is rated for more weight if you can find one. ~CA
I am all about overbuilding, designed, over-specced, and built my own home from the footings to the roofing! I have found replacement hitches class III and IV that would bump up the TW to 600lbs or more. having trouble finding someone who has actually done this, talked with Jayco, my dealer so far-no joy. would also like to know the impact on my available weight capacity.

sorry for some of the questions as I am new to "motorized" camping world although have been PU truck camper guy for 30 years.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post
any advice on a hitch-mounted platform w/ramp?
I use a Joe Hauler single carrier on a Greyhawk 30X

Joe Hauler Motorcycle Carriers and Accessories

for a 230 lb. scoot for getting around once you get to the campsite. Joe Hauler can do custom carriers, but I don't think they'll reinforce or re-build your bumper to handle more weight. Need a custom frame shop for that.
ljh684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljh684 View Post
I use a Joe Hauler single carrier on a Greyhawk 30X

for a 230 lb. scoot for getting around once you get to the campsite. Joe Hauler can do custom carriers, but I don't think they'll reinforce or re-build your bumper to handle more weight. Need a custom frame shop for that.
I just double-checked the weight on the Vespa, 320lbs. on the 500lb rated oem hitch, too close for comfort. there are many class 3/4 exact bolt-ons that will bump it up to 600lbs or 700lbs. I do not anticipate actually putting that weight on it but, in light of all the helpful observations rendered, it seems like a good idea. the joehauler you referenced is rated for up to 300lbs but they make another that would do the trick.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #9

Looks like Joe Hauler recommends their "Cam Loc" model for scooters over 300 lbs.
Probably should call them for advice even if you don't end up buying from them.
ljh684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:44 PM   #10

thank you to all for your insight and recommendations. I have spent the better part of three days calling dealers, mfgrs, and welding shops. All the recommendations to call joehauler were spot on! I was searching for someone who had hands-on with this specific vehicle, both RV and Vespa scooter and joehauler provided both. I ended up purchasing the heavier duty JH05bike/scooter carrier with 7' ramp. Managed to ship it with an existing shipment to nearby Portsmouth, and tomorrow I will take a trip to Boston to look at and buy my perfect scooter, a Vespa GTV300 ABS with a custom topbox.

Ken
Old 05-20-2021, 03:16 AM   #11

Did it al work out?

Hi Ken,
I’ve been reading your post and thread. Did you end up getting your Vespa? Hitch carrier? Did it all work out?

I am in the exact boat you are and wanted to see how this worked out for you. Any insight would be great!!
Thx!!
Dawn
PinotandPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:10 AM   #12

The weight capacity is set by the chassis manufacture. Reinforcing the hitch wont take care of the limits set by MB. You have to consider the extended frame and what weight beyond the set limit would do.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:03 AM   #13

I wonder if attaching a ratchet tie down from the back end of the carrier to the ladder on the back of the RV to reduce the torque on the hitch going over bumps and such.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
I wonder if attaching a ratchet tie down from the back end of the carrier to the ladder on the back of the RV to reduce the torque on the hitch going over bumps and such.
How is your ladder attached to the RV? Do you think the attachment and for that matter the ladder would handle the shock? I have a rear slide so I have no idea how the ladder is attached but either way I personally wouldn't try it.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 02:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
Consider this instead?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001CMUV4...roduct_details
Attached Thumbnails
B72DF618-F34E-4E77-B81A-5DC0BFF63C15.jpg  
CWRoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:26 AM   #16

for some reason every time I try to post my account must time out and it requires me to log in again and I lose everything, so, I will try posting a shorter response;
Rack used, Joehauler joehauler.com, heavy-duty Cam Loc. Joe has extensive experience with my configuration and gave me the assurance I needed to do the install. hitch bracing do by a well-respected commercial welding outfit.
just finished a 3500 mile road trip, avg 15.5 mpg. no issues with handling, no bounce, slop, or wobble.

ken
Old 05-29-2021, 09:30 AM   #17

I used heavy-duty USA ratchet tie-downs front and back with straps securing both wheels to the rack. 7' ramp works great.

braced hitch back to sprinter frame before extended frame. worked great.

set rear-view camera to always on and kept an eye on it just to make sure all OK, after 1,000 miles just occasionally peeked at it.

picture to follow

Ken
Old 05-29-2021, 10:12 AM   #18

trying this photo thing again...

note the 3M Diamond Grade conspicuity tape, DOT approved of course!
Attached Thumbnails
scooter2.jpg