Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2020, 09:44 AM   #41
Site Team

I would think it would be obvious on the outside. I looked closely at mine yesterday after watching the video and it looked like new after 9 years.

I'm not limber enough to look on the inside.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:14 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I would think it would be obvious on the outside. I looked closely at mine yesterday after watching the video and it looked like new after 9 years.

I'm not limber enough to look on the inside.
Remember the inside rails become outside rails when the slide is out so you don't have to crawl around. You will have to have a ladder to examine the upper rail. Glad to hear your slide looks good after 9 years. There is hope for mine.

Yes, my lower rail got blackened and had a rough few areas. The issue was likely caused by the first time or two the gears jumped the rail track. I actually heard it as a pop pop pop and at that moment the front of the slide was in further than the the back.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by msherw View Post
Remember the inside rails become outside rails when the slide is out so you don't have to crawl around. You will have to have a ladder to examine the upper rail. Glad to hear your slide looks good after 9 years. There is hope for mine.

Yes, my lower rail got blackened and had a rough few areas. The issue was likely caused by the first time or two the gears jumped the rail track. I actually heard it as a pop pop pop and at that moment the front of the slide was in further than the the back.
Before you had it fixed and you were resetting the controller, were you able to open and close the slide completely or was it visibly stuck out on one end in the closed position? Mine appears flush when closed, just gets stuck when opening.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:13 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Wow... thanks so much for posting that video, this is great information to know. This big slide has always been my biggest concern with this rig. I've tried to be really careful with mine, like making sure the rig is level before running it, so it doesn't put any needless strain on it.

We'll keep our fingers crossed that you don't have any more issues with it.
UPDATE on our SLIDE repair:
Just got back from 1800 miles in the Rockies and several camp stops. The slide worked flawlessly every cycle. I now no longer have a knot in my stomach when my finger hits the slide switch.

Folks - I am glad to have 'worked' with the dealer and kept up the pressure to make them make it right.

Michael and LaDonnah
Old 06-29-2021, 08:03 AM   #45

Despite my repairs, my problem was not corrected and has now worsened and the slide has jumped teeth. Going back in to the shop. All 24B owners (besides msherw who's documentation for us was outstanding)with slide problems please give me a heads up of what was repaired for your rig and if it worked or not. This is a last ditch warranty effort and I need all the help that I can get!
Old 06-29-2021, 08:51 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmike961 View Post
Despite my repairs, my problem was not corrected and has now worsened and the slide has jumped teeth. Going back in to the shop. All 24B owners (besides msherw who's documentation for us was outstanding)with slide problems please give me a heads up of what was repaired for your rig and if it worked or not. This is a last ditch warranty effort and I need all the help that I can get!
About March 2021, we had our 24B slide fail on our trip from Florida to Texas - after the good work and success I reported last year, we were graced to at least have it fail in the retracted mode so we could drive home. But the big bed was no longer usable.

The problem appears to be the size and weight of the full wall slide exceeds the ability of the Schwintek mechanism to operate it repetitively unless everything is perfectly aligned. And even so, you may find that after a few thousand miles, they may not be any longer.

Unfortunately we were forced to move on to another coach manufacturer and floor plan and gave up on full wall slides. It was a bitter pill but the outcome has been less stress in our travel.

Michael and LaDonnah
Old 06-29-2021, 11:31 AM   #47

That is terrible news that I absolutely expected to hear. I agree with your assessment. It seems as though this slide is only as good as it's last trip.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:38 PM   #48

In April 2021 the side om our 2020 24B would not retract. The controller was giving me eight red blinks, then one green one. That indicted a low voltage problem. I called Lippert, and they advised me to swap the extend/retract controller wires and then select extend (since they were swapped) to retract the slide. It worked. Then I returned the wired to their original position and I was able to successfully extend and retract.
About two days later I extended the slide to start packing for our trip. Once I finished, it would not retract. I got the same error code form the controller – eight red blinks followed by one green blink. Lippert suggested that I hold a tab down in the controller to override the error message. I did that and was able to retract the slide.
• I have a 510-watt solar system on my rig, along with four 6-volt AGM 224aH batteries hooked up in series (to get to 12 volts) & parallel (to get to 448aH). I checked the voltage on the batteries and they read 12.7. So, it was not the batteries causing the low voltage issue.
• I tried to operate the slide while connected to shore power. It did not work either. Again, not the batteries.
• I always make sure that the slide is level when opening it (level is within 2% on my Measure app or ˝ bubble on a 24-incl level)
I took the rig to my dealer. They have a great service department. They worked on it all day, said they tested it five times, and deemed the issue resolved. They said that the wire was loose. I took the rig home. Two days later – the slide wouldn’t open! I took it back to the dealer – no appointment this time – and they got on it right away. In the end the wire had been pinched/crimped causing to low voltage.
Since then, the slide has operated fine. I needed to sync the motors once, but that was no big deal. I will admit that I still hold my breath every time I push the button.
2019 Hummingbird MBS SOLD!
1 spoiled dog
cheverly262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:49 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by msherw View Post
About March 2021, we had our 24B slide fail on our trip from Florida to Texas - after the good work and success I reported last year, we were graced to at least have it fail in the retracted mode so we could drive home. But the big bed was no longer usable.

The problem appears to be the size and weight of the full wall slide exceeds the ability of the Schwintek mechanism to operate it repetitively unless everything is perfectly aligned. And even so, you may find that after a few thousand miles, they may not be any longer.

Unfortunately we were forced to move on to another coach manufacturer and floor plan and gave up on full wall slides. It was a bitter pill but the outcome has been less stress in our travel.
Totally agree on full wall slides. Too much of the exterior wall is cut out to leave the wall sturdy enough to handle all the weight. I also stay away from toilets on the passenger side.
Parrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:53 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheverly262 View Post
In April 2021 the side om our 2020 24B would not retract. The controller was giving me eight red blinks, then one green one. That indicted a low voltage problem. I called Lippert, and they advised me to swap the extend/retract controller wires and then select extend (since they were swapped) to retract the slide. It worked. Then I returned the wired to their original position and I was able to successfully extend and retract.
About two days later I extended the slide to start packing for our trip. Once I finished, it would not retract. I got the same error code form the controller – eight red blinks followed by one green blink. Lippert suggested that I hold a tab down in the controller to override the error message. I did that and was able to retract the slide.
• I have a 510-watt solar system on my rig, along with four 6-volt AGM 224aH batteries hooked up in series (to get to 12 volts) & parallel (to get to 448aH). I checked the voltage on the batteries and they read 12.7. So, it was not the batteries causing the low voltage issue.
• I tried to operate the slide while connected to shore power. It did not work either. Again, not the batteries.
• I always make sure that the slide is level when opening it (level is within 2% on my Measure app or ˝ bubble on a 24-incl level)
I took the rig to my dealer. They have a great service department. They worked on it all day, said they tested it five times, and deemed the issue resolved. They said that the wire was loose. I took the rig home. Two days later – the slide wouldn’t open! I took it back to the dealer – no appointment this time – and they got on it right away. In the end the wire had been pinched/crimped causing to low voltage.
Since then, the slide has operated fine. I needed to sync the motors once, but that was no big deal. I will admit that I still hold my breath every time I push the button.

I can live with electrical issues that can eventually be resolved. However I am afraid that these poor design/workmanship issues causing binding (no codes ever flashing) are never going to fully resolve.

Tags
broken, contoller, redhawk 24b, sidleout