Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #1

Need help with inverter / 2005 Greyhawk

We are currently travelling fulltime in a 2005 Jayco Greyhawk 29GS. This was purchased from the original owner with no modifications and is in great condition.

We left a campground yesterday where we were on shore power and everything worked fine electrically.

Ran the generator this morning for AC power then shut it down after 2 hours. Normally I can still use the TV by turning on the inverter that is installed under the bed. The green led power light came on, but no voltage to the TV outlet.

I pulled aside the wooden cover that separates the under bed storage and can see all of the wiring from the inverter, converter, and transfer switch, and distribution panel but am not sure how to troubleshoot this issue.

On visual inspection, there are a few things that look wrong, but I am not sure they are related to this problem. There is a red wire coming from the fuse box that is not attached to anything. The wire belongs to fuse #11 (labeled PUMP / MP / RH) Both my water pump and monitor panel are working fine, but I am not sure what RH is. I cannot see anywhere that the wire came loose from...or if it should be attached to anything. There is also some insulation frayed on fuse #3 (labeled spare)

Turning on the generator again restores power to all outlets. Cannot afford to repair or replace, so hopefully someone can help.

I posted some photos on imgur and can upload more if needed
Loose wiring - Album on Imgur
Rjfurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:13 PM   #2
Site Team

RH is Range Hood
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #3

New info!

Well, my inverter isn't dead. I wasn't using the correct setting on the meter to measure voltage. I have 140v coming from the output of the Xantrex inverter. The outlet this is supposed to power behind the TV still does not have 120v. There is 135v on the wiring right behind the outlet. This outlet has a purple and white wire along with the white romex line carrying voltage. Reading from the outlet has only reads 60v then starts to go down fast.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:27 PM   #4

The purple and white wire is 12VDC present when engine is running. This is to prevent TV operation while underway. Obviously the engine isn't running now so either you've got 12VDC there all the time or the relay in the outlet is bad. I removed the relay and wired directly to the outlet. So if this project is within your scope of abilities, go for it. Just make sure you kill the inverter and the 115VAC into the outlet before you start. And treat the 12VDC wires like they're hot because they could be.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #5

Relay location?

Where is this relay located? I am tracing the purple and white wire. Both go up above and start back along the ceiling towards the rear
Old 12-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #6

The relay for my rig was attached right to the outlet itself with caulking. Your rig could be different but if the purple and white wires are going into the outlet box, it should be right there somewhere.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:08 PM   #7

Yes, relay was inside the outlet cover hot glued to the back of the plug. Just cut all wires to this and then just attach white to one side screw and black to the other?
Old 12-12-2015, 04:09 PM   #8

Yes. Wire the black and white romex wires directly to the plug. White to silver, black to gold.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #9

Pulled off the relay entirely. Wired romex black on the right side screw and white on the left side screw. Wire have voltage but outlet does not. Wired it wrong or bad outlet?
Old 12-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #10

You can message me direct at 360 433 5987
Old 12-12-2015, 04:54 PM   #11

Despite the relay gone, outlet wired direct, still no juice. Running the generator restores this outlet to function again. What is this black magic?
Old 12-12-2015, 08:09 PM   #12

It's working!

Thanks a million to HOPPERS4

Removing the relay did the trick