Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #1

Need idea for mirrors/cameras for backing out of tight garage...

I have a litte concern I would like to run by you here to see if you have any suggestions.
My barn opening is a very tight fit for my Greyhawk, the door opening is about 9'11" wide which is wide enough for pulling the RV in and out with an outside navigator to help make sure the awning clears the door way. But with the mirrors folded in to clear the door way, I rely on faith to back out in the blind when I don't have help. I am looking for ideas for mirrors or cameras I can mount temporarily, or permanently so I can see the sides of the camper and doorway to give me a bit of peace of mind when backing out without the use of my mirrors... any ideas? Thanks!!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #2

How about mounting a couple of the old time curb feelers to the door frame of the barn. If you get to close they would rub on the MH and make noise?? Not sure how well it would work, but it would be fairly easy to mount up high, out of general sight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	curb-feelers-on-car.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	7331

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #3

Use some 6x6's and make "curbs" on both sides of the doorway, tires will hit before the mh hits the door frame.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #4

why not mount some mirrors on the garage wall that you can see from the drivers seat?
johnd1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #5

Thanks all!
Har yes the curb feeler idea did cross my mind, but I wondered if I could hear them as I pulled forward. Still thinking about the mirror idea, I wondered how hard it would bee to see as I got further away from it, may give it a shot though. I have one of those old wardrobe mirrors laying around.
I have to say though, I had not considered the Autopia inspired suggestion Grumpy made, I have some landscaping timbers here already, so that one may also get tried this weekend!

I am also considering putting some cheap backup cameras up high and switching them to the head unit when I need them.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #6

could you back in that way you could use your RV mirrors till you are most of the way in and you would only have to pull out a short way till you could put mirrors back out just a thought.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #7

Yes I guess so, but the house door is on the passenger side, so I would be in trouble if the boss can't get in and out easily... On the plus side though I could open the slide!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #8

Grumpy and John have some darned good advice. You may also think about rigging up a couple magnetic mount mirrors for the front hood/fender area. Then, once you clear the door you can get out and move the mirrors. If you mount the mirrors on the floor of the garage, you may beed two sets so that you can see them once you back out a ways.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #9

Hmmm ok more experiments to add to the list! Thanks!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #10

I back into my tight storage space. Not to much room to spare as you say. One thing I do to help is to hang a vertical florescence (sp) light that I plug in when I am backing in. I line up the side of the motorhome with the light and back in until I have to fold in the mirrors and I have 4X4's to tell me when to stop (under the back tire). Good Luck
ChuckD37 is offline   Reply With Quote