Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2020, 08:14 PM   #1

need info for satellite install for Melbourne 28D

This Melbourne is my 2nd Jayco but this is my first post to the forum. I bought a Winegard Playmaker PL7000 to mount on the roof. I'm quite clear about the mounting process but what I don't understand is how the cable is run. Is there a pre-installed satellite cable on the roof, do I need to drill through the roof and install a new cable or do I use the cable presently secured to the antenna?
This forum helped me figure out how to pull the main TV and the cabinets above the cab to solve an annoying squeek. I am very grateful for that. Maybe someone can help with this issue, too.
JW
rockymountainchicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:28 PM   #2

You need to see if your spec sheet says it is pre-wired for roof satellite. If it is there will be dimensions from a vent or the roof ac to locate the wire. I have asked before how to access the wire and I didn’t get an answer so maybe someone will answer.
If your dish does local channels then I don’t see why you couldn’t replace the existing antenna and use that wire.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #3

You didn't mention what year. Later models show Sat prep, but I would contact JAYCO and have them send you the wiring diagram and to see if it is.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
CAG

I called Jayco with my VIN and they emailed me the complete wiring (electrical and coax) for my unit.

If you cannot find yours in "Manual" area at the top of this page please post what you get from Jayco in that area for others who might need it.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:51 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I called Jayco with my VIN and they emailed me the complete wiring (electrical and coax) for my unit.
I did the same thing, emailed Jayco and they emailed me a schematic of my roof with measurements, where to find the cables under the roof.

But, based on how these rigs are thrown together and the QC of the builds, I'm still not sure I'd cut into the roof in that area....
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
But, based on how these rigs are thrown together and the QC of the builds, I'm still not sure I'd cut into the roof in that area....
Usually the wiring is directly above a ceiling light so you can easily verify it's location. On our 08 SENECA both Sat and Solar were right were the schematic said they would be.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:18 PM   #7

Thanks for the input, good advice. BTW, my Melbourne is a 2014. I'm going to call Jayco, I'll let you know what happens. JW
Old 01-06-2020, 01:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainchicks View Post
Thanks for the input, good advice. BTW, my Melbourne is a 2014. I'm going to call Jayco, I'll let you know what happens. JW
2014 Shows satellite prep so it's just a matter of where the wires are.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:35 PM   #9

Okay....called Jayco, they are very helpful but my RV is not prewired for a rooftop satellite. Now I'm down to 2 options - do I use the cable from the antenna or just drop a new cable through the roof in back of the TV?
Old 01-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #10

GRUMPY, do you know where to look for the satellite prep? I had this same confusion with a Forest River concerning prewiring for roof vents. FR said no but the wires were there. BTW, friends don't let friends buy Forest River products. JW
Old 01-06-2020, 02:52 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Usually the wiring is directly above a ceiling light so you can easily verify it's location. On our 08 SENECA both Sat and Solar were right were the schematic said they would be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
2014 Shows satellite prep so it's just a matter of where the wires are.
Quote:
Okay....called Jayco, they are very helpful but my RV is not prewired for a rooftop satellite. Now I'm down to 2 options - do I use the cable from the antenna or just drop a new cable through the roof in back of the TV?

And this is exactly why I'm hesitant to cut into my roof.......
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #12

Quote:
GRUMPY, do you know where to look for the satellite prep? I had this same confusion with a Forest River concerning prewiring for roof vents. FR said no but the wires were there. BTW, friends don't let friends buy Forest River products. JW
As I posted it is usually right above a ceiling light. Did you talk to Motorized Customer Service or a regular CS person? I would talk to Motorized specifically.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #13

Sorry I overlooked your post. Thought I would send a couple of pics before I take off interior lights. I'm really not good with electronics and wouldn't be surprised if the answer is obvious. The first is of the roof antenna, the second is of a jack inside the cabinet to the right of the main TV.
Attached Thumbnails
20200106_142901.jpg   20200106_143043.jpg  
Old 01-06-2020, 04:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Sorry I overlooked your post. Thought I would send a couple of pics before I take off interior lights. I'm really not good with electronics and wouldn't be surprised if the answer is obvious. The first is of the roof antenna, the second is of a jack inside the cabinet to the right of the main TV.
If I read that correctly it says ROOF SAT so that tells me there is wiring up there someplace. Have you taken that panel loose to see what is behind it?
Old 01-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #15

There are 2 cables heading to the back of the TV
Shouldn't there be a roof penetration where a cable goes up through the roof? The only cable going through the roof goes to the antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
20191214_141610.jpg  
Old 01-06-2020, 04:44 PM   #16

Quote:
There are 2 cables heading to the back of the TV
Shouldn't there be a roof penetration where a cable goes up through the roof? The only cable going through the roof goes to the antenna.
How do all the wires come down to the TV. There is usually a "mass? of wires coming out of the ceiling in the area of the TV for power too.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:52 PM   #17

Pulled the TV and the 2 cables, grey and white go up into the overhead area. They seem to head to the rear of the RV. My assumption is that they go to the port used for a portable satellite that is in a passenger side storage compartment. Mine is a roof mount. Got back up on the icy roof again, no sign of a box or other evidence of a roof top cable to tap into. This leaves me to think I should drill through and go directly from the roof sat to the TV unless the existing cable that goes to the antenna can be repurposed for the sat. Does this sound logical to anyone else 🤞
Attached Thumbnails
20200106_153657.jpg  
Old 01-06-2020, 05:29 PM   #18

There will not be a box. Even with SAT PREP you still need to drill, but it is usually above a light fixture, usually right in front of the a/c. What is the brown cable that was another color that JAYCO used (I see two)?
Old 01-06-2020, 05:48 PM   #19

One drops down into a 3 way splitter (pic 1), the second goes in back of the white cable box in pic 2
Attached Thumbnails
20200106_164109.jpg   20200106_164201.jpg  
Old 01-06-2020, 06:20 PM   #20

Now I see an orange. So you have Brown, White, Black and Orange. The white box is your ant amp and that is where the ANT wire would connect, so it sounds like the ANT is a brown wire. You need to pull the amp to see what colors are back there too, usually 2. Have you pulled the connection in the utility compartment to see what color is back there?