Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2020, 04:36 PM   #21

Called Jayco and got the "satellite dome and dish connections" schematic. There is no orange coax represented. However, the coax to the radio antenna does not list a color. I don't have an outdoor TV but the BR TV cable is brown w/ blue tape. I can't get back to this for another couple of days, unfortunately.
rockymountainchicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:52 PM   #22

Called Jayco and they sent the "satelllite dome and dish connections" schematic. No orange coax is represented, however, the radio antenna does not show a color. I don't have an exterior TV. The bedroom TV coax it tan with blue tape. I might have to get out my multimeter and expose every coax end I can find and run a resistance test to figure out who goes where.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:13 PM   #23

My 2017 Greyhawk was listed as being pre-wired for satellite but when I search for it I found nothing. The Jayco diagram also showed a satellite feed to the bedroom TV. Nope, nothing there either. Talked to Jayco and they said it must have been overlooked during assembly.

So I bit the bullet and mounted my Direct TV dish in the area it was suppose to go and routed the wires through a hole that we drilled through the roof. Direct TV came with a special cable cover that goes on the roof that seals it. My only problem was constant wiping of the tears from my eyes while drilling a hole in the roof of my new rig. Needed tranquilizers I think.

I shot a roof view with my drone. You can see the cable from the dish feeding the cover above the entry door. There was a cable storage area above the door where I just stuffed all the extra satellite wires to the Jayco mess already there.

Very happy with my installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Roof View.jpg   Capture.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Direct TV came with a special cable cover that goes on the roof that seals it.
Very happy with my installation.
The cable cover is available on AMAZON.

https://www.amazon.com/KING-CE2000-P...omotive&sr=1-4
Old 01-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #25

I have a Jayco toyhauler and just moved my expensive Wingard auto dish from my Jayco 5th wheel. First time out using Directv dish could not find sat dues to trees.
What I would do is mount it on the ladder (mounts available) so you can
move the dish away from the rv. Plus no holes in the roof.
Just run the wire up the side of the ladder.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:53 PM   #26
Lost in the Woods

[QUOTE=putz;822854 First time out using Directv dish could not find sat dues to trees.
What I would do is mount it on the ladder (mounts available) so you can
move the dish away from the rv. [/QUOTE]

I've been thinking of installing satellite, and this was a concern of mine. If the dish is permanent on the roof, and you're parked under trees, it sounds like a problem.

I'm guessing a better choice would be a portable dish that can be moved around accordingly. How many people have this type of setup?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:56 AM   #27

I thought long and hard about whether to choose a roof mount or a portable. I decided to get the PL7000 which can be used as a portable or as a permanent mount. The deciding factor was storage space. I don't have enough as it is. If I can't get reception for a short stay, I can live through it. If it is a longer stay, I can dismount the satellite from the roof and use it as a portable. Now if I could only figure out where all the cables go so I could get the installation done. I have 4 different colors of cable but the Jayco schematic only shows 3. Going to have to get my multimeter out, I guess.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:01 AM   #28
TOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I've been thinking of installing satellite, and this was a concern of mine. If the dish is permanent on the roof, and you're parked under trees, it sounds like a problem.

I'm guessing a better choice would be a portable dish that can be moved around accordingly. How many people have this type of setup?
I didn't want a hole in my new roof (Melbourne 24L) and was also concerned about direct sight to satellite at wooded campgrounds.
I got the portable PL7000 Dish Playmaker. I had trouble with getting signal inside the camper at main coax connection from the wet bay coax. I ended up removing the antenna coax (inside RV at signal amp.) and went with exclusive coax signal from wet bay connection to main antenna coax connection inside RV. From there to Sat. Receiver Input. From receiver HDMI output, a cable to HDMI splitter with 1 HDMI cable to front TV and another HCMI to Rear TV. Left me with satellite signal only, but that's ok for us.

On our Oct. trip to Utah there was 3-4 times that I used my 40ft. coax from wet bay to get the Dish Playmaker out to a clear view of southern sky.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:12 AM   #29

Instead of mounting on the roof, I use a portable (low cost) setup. A neighbor got rid of DirecTV and gave me his dish that I've mounted on a tripod. It can be moved to where I can get a signal. Requires manual aiming but I've gotten pretty good with some practice. We like shady campsites so can not always get a signal.
2013 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3
Husky Centerline TS

ChiToones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:19 AM   #30
CAG

Quote:
Tailgator. I don't want extra holes in the roof and trees block signals when mounted in one location and you cannot move the dish. The small Tailgator is easy to transport. No big portable dish to carry around and it sets itself up rather than me having to find sats with a tripod, on the ground unit.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #31

When I added the Direct TV satellite capability to my Greyhawk I was torn between the portable version and the automatic roof version. The tailgate version was so inexpensive I almost went with that being an el cheapo.

I went with the roof top version and am sooooooo glad I did. When I get to my site I simply press one button and then go about my business and not even think about it.

So far there has been only one instance in over a year where trees blocked the signal. I can easily live with that.

Not having a portable unit allows me to not have to worry about:

1. Set up time - assembly and aiming at the sats. Wasted valuable camping time. I would guess this could take 1/2 hour at the minimum, probably more like an hour. With Direct TV you have to aim at 3 sats for all channels. I helped aim my son's home dish once and that was indeed a chore.

2. Finding a spot - if trees are blocking the roof version, you may have to move the dish away from your rig. How far can you safely go where the cable will not become a trip hazard.

3. The dish getting bumped out of alignment or wind causing the same thing.

4. Theft.

5. Take down time - once again the roof version requires the simple pressing of one button.

6. Storage room for the big dish.

Had I bought the tripod version I would have wasted my money as I am sure I would have converted over to roof after a couple of trips.

Trees may block your roof dish now and then but they may also block a portable version too. If that happens you simply go without TV for that trip. I know, that is tough to do and I speak from experience.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #32
CAG

Yes, I too did not want a tripod version. I did that when I first started with a trailer and it was a pain, especially in windy climes.

The small portable units like Tailgator are a set it and forget it. It does it's own thing and is on the air in 10-15 minutes.

If you are in an RV location where you have to worry about theft then you might want to seek a better end of town

Tree cover is a blessing in Arizona. We want the shaded locations.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:23 PM   #33
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Tailgator. I don't want extra holes in the roof and trees block signals when mounted in one location and you cannot move the dish. The small Tailgator is easy to transport. No big portable dish to carry around and it sets itself up rather than me having to find sats with a tripod, on the ground unit.
That was my first idea, the Tailgator, as I really want to avoid any additional holes in the roof. But, I lack storage space in my short rig, so finding a place to transport will be an issue. I usually try to find CG sites under the trees to help with the heat, so moving the dish should be an option.

The other thing, we don't watch a lot of TV when on the road, maybe a hour or two, late at night, so my other option is just to hotspot the Smart TV's for those few hours or even stream from my Xfinity app on my laptop to the TVs...

Time for more planning...
Old 01-15-2020, 09:50 AM   #34

Hello to you,fyi you cannot go through a splitter from your rooftop dish if it is an automatic. I have done a few dish installation before without problems but with my new 280 RSOK I had to give up. My very experienced dealer had 2 technicians on it and they took 8 hours for the install. After talking to Jayco they paid for the whole shot,1450.00$ Can. Good luck.
Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:39 PM   #35
Lost in the Woods

Question for you Dish people. I'm looking to change out my home TV service from Xfinity to Dish, which means I need all new equipment. So, it looks like I need (besides the roof mount dish itself) a Hopper DVR for the main TV and Joey boxes for any others. Seems straight enough.

Now, I also want to use/share the Dish system when I go out in the rig. So, in this case, I'm looking at a Tailgater or Playmaker portable dish.

OK, here's my question, Dish is noting that I'll need a Wally to go with the portable dish. Do I need that Wally, or can I just take the Hopper box and a Joey to use for the rig TVs? Does the Wally do something different (like aim the satellites) that the Hopper doesn't? It's been tough to figure this out on the Dish web site.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:51 AM   #36

More confused. Yesterday 1/27/20 at Quartzsite show I was told by Dish rep you cannot use the Hooper dvr with a portable dish because I will only focus on one sat at a time.
They were not sure if I recorded only one show at a time it would work if I was watching and changing a channel to a different sat. They also said the best thing to record without the Hooper is a 1 tb harddrive that cost about $100. They were out of stock. They said I would have to call Dish to have the receiver set to record (Cost ?)
So is anyone using a harddrive to record with a portable dish.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:09 PM   #37
TOS

I'm not very knowledgeable about "mobile satellites" because I've only had one a few months. It is Dish and it requires a Receiver that is compatable with the mobile dish you choose, to be truly mobile. I got lucky because I had a receiver not being used (ViP211) that was compatible with a Playmaker PL7000, so that's what I purchased.
I purchased mine from Amazon Warehouse (slightly used) for $175.

You can use a regular generic dish (not mobile) and a generic receiver, but you will have to manually aim your dish to the sky satellites everytime. I did this years ago...it's not worth it, get the mobile setup.

Most of the satellites listed here will give you info on what receiver is needed for mobile satellite compatibility.
Good Luck...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dish+play..._sb_ss_fb_1_14
Old 02-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #38
Lost in the Woods

OK, Playmaker versus Tailgator, which one is recommended? They both seem to be portable, which one has less issues finding satellites and operating? I'm reading different reviews on both. Will hook it to a Wally.

One thing I like with the tailgator is the removable roof mount. I don't have big storage compartments or extra storage space in the rig, so "storing" it on the roof sounds appealing. Then, if I'm in a area that the rig is under the trees, it can be removed and placed somewhere else.

So, can anyone give some feedback on each one?
Old 02-23-2020, 12:15 PM   #39

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by putz View Post
More confused. Yesterday 1/27/20 at Quartzsite show I was told by Dish rep you cannot use the Hooper dvr with a portable dish because I will only focus on one sat at a time.
They were not sure if I recorded only one show at a time it would work if I was watching and changing a channel to a different sat. They also said the best thing to record without the Hooper is a 1 tb harddrive that cost about $100. They were out of stock. They said I would have to call Dish to have the receiver set to record (Cost ?)
So is anyone using a harddrive to record with a portable dish.
We looked into the hard drive, but it only records one show at a time and you cannot change channels and watch something else. The only time it would be good is if you want to record something overnight or when you are gone. It wasn't worth the extra $100 IMO

Quote: Ever notice how "What the Hell" is always the right answer?
maejoicer is offline   Reply With Quote