Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #1

Need more propane

I have a 2018 Jayco Melbourne 24 foot on a Mercedes sprinter chassis.

My generator is ran by propane as is my stove, my outdoor grill, refrigerator, and the heater. Some of those only when dry camping.

I have a 10 gallon propane tank. It is not enough to last much more than a day when the generator is running.

I have looked into changing the generator to diesel, but it only holds about 28 gallons of diesel so that didn’t seem to be an option.

I have looked into changing the propane tank to a larger one but there is no more room.

I have considered adding another battery since there is only one house battery but there is no room for a second battery. I do have 100 W solar panel.

My options as I see it is to put on the back of the motorhome a tray that will either hold another generator that is gas driven, or a couple of propane tanks. I also need to put my bikes on it. Is there a tray that has made such as this that is not custom made?

I’m wondering what others might suggest is the best option. I don’t want to run out of propane when dry camping.
Vivntommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:42 PM   #2

If you don't have a toad, then a small utility trailer could carry the bike(s), extra propane tanks, etc.. I use a 1gal propane tank for my Weber Q grill, it will last a long long time, easy to carry and refill, would reduce the usage on the main tank.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:26 AM   #3

I have a 2018 Jayco Melbourne 24K but bought the diesel generator option so it runs off the Chassis tanks and will shut off if the fuel tank gets too low and will still allow me to get to a gas station. I'm not sure why they would install a separate tank for for generator and not just tie into the chassis.
Anyway I can only imagine your concern as we always seem to be filling our propane tank...we do a lot of dry camping in cool weather ( fridge, furnace, stove, grill) for football.
We have a Big Buddy heater we use outside when tailgating...but it can be used indoors with the little propane tanks (1lb). You would be fine with the smaller Buddy which only has one heat elemnt and one tank...two heating elements only used on high anyway and I would not trust using two elements inside. You can use little tanks for grill too.
Or you can get a Stay A While installed and carry around another tank.
Or get an extra small generator to carry around...most people at games with these giant bus/rigs have two of these little Honda's which as so quite they can run them during quiet hours (12am-6am).
As far as electric...can you get more solar panels on the roof...or larger watt/realestate?
Imazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
If you don't have a toad, then a small utility trailer could carry the bike(s), extra propane tanks, etc.. I use a 1gal propane tank for my Weber Q grill, it will last a long long time, easy to carry and refill, would reduce the usage on the main tank.
...on our previous motor-home, we were in a similar situation. We chose a small utility trailer to haul our extra propane and stuff on extended duration boon-docking camp outs. It is tilt-deck for loading the ATV and only 9x6 on the deck.
Attached Thumbnails
20160313_181841.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:35 PM   #5

The smaller propane tank on all of the Sprinter chassis can be a limiting factor when dry camping. I installed the "Extend a stay" propane adapter so I can connect a spare 30Lb propane tank when boon docking in our 2018 Melbourne 24 L. It can be found at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connect...dastay+propane
Old 11-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forwardever View Post
The smaller propane tank on all of the Sprinter chassis can be a limiting factor when dry camping. I installed the "Extend a stay" propane adapter so I can connect a spare 30Lb propane tank when boon docking in our 2018 Melbourne 24 L. It can be found at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connect...dastay+propane
^ ^ ^ ^
X2 That is what we had on our old El Dorado where we carried two spare propane tanks on our utility trailer.

We put one on our Seneca too... as they are the only way you can add propane capacity to a motorhome with a fixed tank. We found this a lifesaver when we were up in the remote mountains at high elevation and the weather turned bitter cold on us... We used up twice the propane we expected keeping the motorhome warm, when the motorhome tank was down to 1/8 tank, we hooked up the Extend-a-Stay to the two portable tanks we carried until we were ready to head back to civilization (so we had a little propane left so we could run the RV furnace while driving back home)

As the name implies... Extend a Stay. We did not have to leave two days early.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote