Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #21

Mice condo

I only speak from 1 year's experience. Last winter my Melbourne was parked outside at a commercial storage lot, sitting on gravel and surrounded by gravel. I made certain that every possible entry point was plugged with steel wool. All food items, even canned goods, were removed from cabinets. We put an entire box of dryer sheets throughout the unit - in storage bins, cabinets, under and around the couch, under the bed, even in outside storage areas. No evidence of rodent invasion. Hopefully that same procedure will work this coming winter.
stenzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:44 AM   #22

Thumbs up

I plan on taking everyone's advice here so that the issue I had last winter isn't repeated.

I also sealed off possible entry points in our Seneca 37FS should mice somehow gain access to the storage compartments. After last winter there was evidence (mouse poop) of mice under the sink area and in every drawer. The entry point was under the refrigerator where the flexible heat duct, water & propane lines and electrical wiring comes up. I enclosed the wholes and foamed the opening.

There was also the same evidence in the bathroom. I did the same under the bathroom shower and in side the bathroom under the cabinet where electrical, water and grey pipes run.

I also caulked a hole in the firewall that I found above the driver's feet.

Outside I found a gap in the fender well on the left rear dually. Two screws missed and there was a gap big enough for a mouse to get through--so I corrected that as well.

I think I'm ready!
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer or 1999 Jeep Wrangler
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #23

The Darn Weeds

I have been following this post as My previous TT's had mouse issues at my storage yard. I am parked on gravel so that helps. But I back up against a hill that is covered in long grasses and weeds so there is plenty of places for the rodents to hide. Today I went up to do a little weed control around the parking spot. We have tough regulations here on what chemicals we can spray and most commercially available products are almost useless. So I use a mixture of 1 gallon of vinegar, 1 cup salt and 1 tablespoon of dish soap.

This mix works fairly well at keeping the weeds at bay... So here is my thought related to the rodents... I might try adding Peppermint oil to the mixture. I already spray the entire perimeter of my parking spot with the weed mixture so maybe adding the peppermint oil will assist??? Only real trouble I see is that the oil would need reapplication as the snow builds up.

The other thing I was considering was actually laying down some weed fabric across the back end to create an open expanse the mice would have to cross

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:02 PM   #24

How mice get in...

These are the kind of giant openings Jayco's manufacturing process leaves in your RV (they're not alone). This is under our kitchen sink, above the fresh water tank. You'll find similar giant holes for bathroom plumbing, don't neglect them. I corrected this with tons of steel wool followed by expanding foam (they'll chew through foam if there's no steel wool or mesh to deter them). Also a bit of a pneumonia hole as well...

Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #25

Mouse electrical damage

Mice have chewed the external wiring on my Jayco 31DS twice. I store it at the county fairgrounds in an RV storage area. Lots of grass. The first time they chewed the wiring to my anti-lock brake system. The second time they nested in the engine compartment and chewed the transmission control wire and a couple of connectors. For some reason, the mice have not come inside.

The local rural Ford dealer has recommended Predator Pee. I am just about to try it. You can buy it at predatorpee.com. They recommend bobcat pee for mice. Sure hope it works. My last wiring repair bill was $800.

2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2002 Honda Accord towed, ACME tow dolly
Northwest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote