Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #1

Nervous First Time Buyer

I've spent months researching floorplans, options, and pricing -- I think the family is ready to take the plunge. We've narrowed the selection to the Jayco Redhawk 31XL for once a month trips & the ocassional long vacation.

All things considered, I'm nervous about things I DON'T KNOW (aren't we all). Love the Jayco brand, but since I've never owned an RV I'm curious if there are things I should consider before purchasing.

Thanks, Jayco friends! Love this forum!
neall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #2

Go for it! You won't be sorry. It's really not that difficult and easy to learn.

Most seasoned RVers had this same anxiety going in but it soon fades to fun, relaxation and enjoyment.

Don't let negative comments bother you. There are plenty of us happy campers here too.

My advice would be to enlist a friend who has an rv to bring his and go along with you on your first outing. They can help you with questions you may have forgotten or didn't ask the dealer.

First trip try to stay a few days close to home. Find a rv park close by that you can use to get accustomed to things. If something goes wrong your not far from help. Your probably going to forget some stuff you didn't know you needed and having a walmart or camping world close by is also a plus.

Good luck and get out there and have some fun! You only live once!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:51 AM   #3

Go for it, i did a lot of research and we decided on a 29xk model and love it. Best driving class c motorhome and very comfortable camping. 3 weeks owner now, been camping two trips and seven nights so far, two more trips planned within a month. Sooo nice having a motorhome, especially after owning trailers, now no more hook up and easy to jump in and go.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:02 AM   #4

Oh, great advice about having a seasoned vet go along. Thank you. I've been checking our RV parks nearby to do exactly as you've said, I think that's terrific advice. Anxious to start on many adventures!
Old 06-10-2018, 06:07 AM   #5

Should I be asking to see the slide go in and out when I look at a model? I saw one yesterday at the dealer...

Looks like it will be hard to get out of the cab to go back into camper, and am not sure if I will be able to go by the slide (if it is in) to get to the bathroom!

They have to be making this with getting to the bathroom while traveling in mind right?
Old 06-10-2018, 06:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgibbster View Post
Go for it, i did a lot of research and we decided on a 29xk model and love it. Best driving class c motorhome and very comfortable camping. 3 weeks owner now, been camping two trips and seven nights so far, two more trips planned within a month. Sooo nice having a motorhome, especially after owning trailers, now no more hook up and easy to jump in and go.
Great to hear! Being able to contain all that we need in one vehicle seems to work well for my family. How's the highway driving on the 29?
Old 06-10-2018, 06:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnAllen02 View Post
Should I be asking to see the slide go in and out when I look at a model? I saw one yesterday at the dealer...

Looks like it will be hard to get out of the cab to go back into camper, and am not sure if I will be able to go by the slide (if it is in) to get to the bathroom!

They have to be making this with getting to the bathroom while traveling in mind right?
Class A's are easier to get around in the cab area but it can be done in a class C also. We leave the overhead bunk cutout area at home or lay it on the bed in back which makes getting in and out of the cab much easier when underway.

Remember you also have doors up front which is much nicer and easier to enter or exit. If traveling and you must get up and back you just need to step over the console and like I said leave the bunk cutout out and your good to go.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:39 AM   #8

Freakin drives like a giant mini van
Old 06-10-2018, 07:40 AM   #9

Quote:

We totally asked to sit in the thing with our kids WHILE the slides went in and out. We really wanted to see what the space looked like. I was pleased with the Class C's (even a long one) ability to have enough space to move around in WITH the slides in.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:40 AM   #10

So nice driving with the JRIDE system
Old 06-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #11

The 29xk gives us plenty of room when traveling and nothing is restricted when slide is in, love the spacious living area and large u-shape dinette
Old 06-10-2018, 07:44 AM   #12

In the 31xl we found with the slides in it is hard to get into the bathroom and the passenger seat does not recline in cab fue to dinette so we decided on the 29xk for the same length rv and more comfortable for our needs when traveling
Old 06-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #13

Quote:
So nice driving with the JRIDE system
I've heard this makes a world of difference on those Fords.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #14

You will learn a lot about the RV even if you stay out only one night at a nearby campground. If the campground you choose has water, electric, and sewer hookup, use all three. It'll be educational.
Someday soon, if you dry camp, you'll learn even more...because there are things you will do dry camping that were not necessary at an RV park........
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #15

How about getting out of drivers seat and going in the back without going outside?
Old 06-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #16

Quote:
The 29xk gives us plenty of room when traveling and nothing is restricted when slide is in, love the spacious living area and large u-shape dinette
Agree. This is a solid floorplan. Yet for our family that bunk section felt necessary.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #17

Quote:
How about getting out of drivers seat and going in the back without going outside?
I did this for sure. Even on the "test drive" I asked to pull over & squeeze to the back just to see what it was like.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdktm View Post
You will learn a lot about the RV even if you stay out only one night at a nearby campground. If the campground you choose has water, electric, and sewer hookup, use all three. It'll be educational.
Someday soon, if you dry camp, you'll learn even more...because there are things you will do dry camping that were not necessary at an RV park........
The "nuts & bolts" of switches & hookups seem overwhelming, but as many have pointed out - create a routine. I love that idea. And the idea of doing a short trip close to home makes complete sense.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #19

Lynneallen

Look at the Greyhawk 30X floor plan. We love it! We can pull over anywhere and still get into the bathroom and lay down and sleep in the bed with the slide in all the way in!
Bonnshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #20

Hi Neall. I'm a week behind you - I pick up my Redhawk 26XD next Monday. I know how you feel!
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote