Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2020, 07:26 PM   #21

As usual California, home of the Fruits & Nuts of the USA..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:28 PM   #22

What does the sticker on the underside of the hood say?

Should say if it is California compliant.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:47 PM   #23

Need to be 50 state compliant

As a California resident this was a concern for me when buying something from an out of state dealer. If not meant for California it may not be compliant for California emissions. I was told there would be a sticker under the hood that says if it’s California compliant.

Do you have this sticker anywhere under the hood?
Attached Thumbnails
860811C8-0FD4-4CF7-B4B3-EA8EA2C9A1F3.jpg  
Liven-good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro01 View Post
Never buy a car out of state if you're a CA resident... Sure you "can" but the requirements are so very specific to CA and the rules in place in CA to register an out of state vehicle make it extremely difficult to do so. The only real exemption to this is if you register it out of state and "move" to CA, then you get some exceptions but...

People can blame CA and say all of the negative things they want that are completely irrelevant, air quality matters and that's why these restrictions exist (mostly). As a CA resident I'm a bit surprised you weren't previously aware of this...

Jeff
You are posting incorrect information. The only difficulties are when an emission sticker says "This vehicle complies to Federal Motor Vehicle Standards only" Most now say "This Vehicle Complies to Federal and California standards". I bought my last truck from S.D. and the one before that from Oregon. As long as the sticker says it complies to California specs, the only additional step is to get a certified weight of the vehicle because California charges you based on the vehicles weight on the road. I'm surprised as a Californian, you don't already know this. By the way, I was a licensed California smog tech for 10 years. There are no other California specific restrictions on bringing cars in from out of state. They must state that they are California Compliant and there is nothing else to check between the two vehicles. You must however know that none of the emissions systems have been removed but even then the dealership or private citizen is responsible for making sure the vehicles are legal to operate on the road and it is against Federal and California law to sell a street registered vehicle with a modified emission system. In California the seller is responsible for providing a smog certificate at the time of sale, even if you agree to buy a car as-is from a private citizen without a smog check, the seller is responsible for the costs to repair any emissions related systems after the sale if it does not pass smog. Unless, the car is sold as spare parts only, is documented in writing and only if the buyer takes it away on a tow truck.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:19 PM   #25

I've bought 2 vehicles out of state. 1 a new 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel, bought in Utah, which had to be smogged even though it was a new vehicle. Because of the diesel it had to be smogged every 2 years there after.

Bought a 2018 Ford Escape in 2019 in Nevada. Same thing, had to be smogged before a registration could be issued.

Both stickers said California compliant. No other problems just the usual DMV paperwork.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
Yes

Cali has very strict laws...I'm sure your missing a vital important item in your emissions or electronics tied to the emissions

Could get pretty spendy knowing California
You are probably incorrect. Most Fed and Cali laws are in line with one another and they all have the same emission systems on them now. It is most likely a clerical error that will need to be cleared up at a referee station. It isn't as difficult as it sounds. The referee will confirm that the vehicle has all needed systems and has a valid vin number and then be able to issue you a certificate or send you back to the DMV with the paperwork saying your vehicle is OK. Unless the emissions sticker says 49 state only which I don't think even exist in 2019-2020
Old 11-25-2020, 05:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
I've bought 2 vehicles out of state. 1 a new 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel, bought in Utah, which had to be smogged even though it was a new vehicle. Because of the diesel it had to be smogged every 2 years there after.

Bought a 2018 Ford Escape in 2019 in Nevada. Same thing, had to be smogged before a registration could be issued.

Both stickers said California compliant. No other problems just the usual DMV paperwork.
All internal combustion driven motor vehicles produced after 1977 need to get a smog check every two years regardless of fuel type unless you live in a rural area that does not require biennial smog checks. Even those areas require a smog check upon change of ownership unless transferred amongst family members.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
All internal combustion driven motor vehicles produced after 1977 need to get a smog check every two years regardless of fuel type unless you live in a rural area that does not require biennial smog checks. Even those areas require a smog check upon change of ownership unless transferred amongst family members.
I thought here in Ca. that a gas vehicle was good for 5 years from when it was originally sold.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:44 PM   #29

No one has said the VIN was not recognized. If the VIN was not recognized the DMV would have already told him that. The screen says the current vehicle can not be found in the vehicle look up table. This is coming from the smog machine and not the DMV. All it means is this specific model configuration does not match any available configurations. There are thousands of configurations and the California Air Resource board can not keep up with the hundreds of thousands of custom manufactured vehicles different configurations. RV's are custom built from a chassis and engine that has already been assigned a VIN. It could be as simple as the weight listed does not match the weight available in the data base for that model. The CARB info is provided by the RV manufactures and it is likely they don't always get that info correct or miss a few slightly different variations due to a custom order or something.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:46 PM   #30

Quote:
I thought here in Ca. that a gas vehicle was good for 5 years from when it was originally sold.
Yes, I missed that point, but your 2015 eco diesel just hit that 5 year old mark so the biennial smog is due to that and not the fact that it's a diesel.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:49 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liven-good View Post
As a California resident this was a concern for me when buying something from an out of state dealer. If not meant for California it may not be compliant for California emissions. I was told there would be a sticker under the hood that says if it’s California compliant.

Do you have this sticker anywhere under the hood?
Before I buy a vehicle from out of state, I make them send me a picture of the sticker. That way they can't play dumb and say they didn't know.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuan View Post
Dear friends,
I am not sure any user bought 2021 Entegra coach Odyssey or similiar rig but now I have an issue to report, I failed to get registration for my new rig today. In order to get DMV registration I need smog test result and I tried 2 different SMOG station, both of them report following error, please see attached picture that I take from SMOG station.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/a...1&d=1605658656

I checked with DMV twice and all they can do is ask me to call a smog referee which usually within some community college. I never heard about this before and wondering if anyone else in this forum heard this before?

Thanks!
This is probably a minor issue and is just a clerical error in the SMOG station vehicle data base. The smog station should know whether or not you are getting a biennial or change of ownership smog. The first thing you do on a smog is check the emissions sticker to make sure the model year matches and the emissions sticker lists all of the required smog devices/systems that that vehicle is required to have. The technician has to visually verify all systems are in tact. He would know then if the vehicle did or did not comply and that is not the complaint. Then when the DMV said you will have to see a referee, it confirmed that the VIN is in the system because they would have to check that when you brought it in to register. The referee is no big deal. They will just confirm that everything is in order and issue you a certificate or an exemption to take back to the DMV.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:05 PM   #33

Quote:
The Communist state of California strikes again

I'd check with the dealer on this
Actually, Kalifornistan.
Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #34

California and Federal Emission Standards are very much in line with each other now and almost all vehicles sold today meet both California and Federal Standards. And this has mostly been the case for the last 20 years. The only thing California is more strict on typically is after market parts and modifications to any emission related system including fuel and air intakes.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Yes, I missed that point, but your 2015 eco diesel just hit that 5 year old mark so the biennial smog is due to that and not the fact that it's a diesel.
Actually I had to smog it every 2 years since new because it was a diesel per the DMV.

My wife's 2018 Ford Escape will be 2022 because it was initially registered in Nov. of 2017.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Yes

Cali has very strict laws...I'm sure your missing a vital important item in your emissions or electronics tied to the emissions

Could get pretty spendy knowing California
What California emission laws are more strict than Federal laws? What emission systems/components are required on California cars that are not required on Federal cars? Do you know what the various systems are and what they do? If something was missing or modified by someone other than the manufacture/dealer, how would the smog data base know that? How are you "sure" they're missing a vital important item in their emissions or electronics tied to the emissions? You are making this all up without any knowledge to back it up.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Actually I had to smog it every 2 years since new because it was a diesel per the DMV.

My wife's 2018 Ford Escape will be 2022 because it was initially registered in Nov. of 2017.
Thanks for the correction. I haven't been smog licensed for a long time but am still in the loop with the auto repair industry. But didn't know they separated the brand new vehicles that way. I did just call my smog connection and he confirmed that new diesels do not qualify for the 5 year wait.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Thanks for the correction. I haven't been smog licensed for a long time but am still in the loop with the auto repair industry. But didn't know they separated the brand new vehicles that way. I did just call my smog connection and he confirmed that new diesels do not qualify for the 5 year wait.
Seemed a little insane to me every 2 years.

They didn't even do a sniffer test. Just plugged into the OBD II port and looked under the hood.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:42 PM   #39

Quote:
Seemed a little insane to me every 2 years.

They didn't even do a sniffer test. Just plugged into the OBD II port and looked under the hood.
That's because there are enough sensors that the computer now knows if everything is functioning including the Catalytic converters and DPF. The oxygen sensors and temp sensors before and after all of the components in the exhaust tell the computer if everything is functioning properly. There is a big emphasis on diesel truck modifications considering you can improve fuel economy by 5-7 mpg by eliminating some of these components so I assume that's why they get checked more even when new. You can run delete programs that you would never detect visually but will make certain readiness monitors not set in the computer so the computer knows not everything is functioning. You can have up to 3 monitors not set on a 2010 diesel and still pass.

This also has nothing to due with the message originally posted. The OP's problem was just that the CARB data base didn't have info for his vehicle. If the vehicle had something missing or not functioning properly the test would still run but the result would be "failed" and would list the reasons why, including the specific monitors that may have not been ready.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:04 PM   #40

A photo of his underhood sticker would really be helpful.