Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2020, 06:19 PM   #1

New 2021 Entegra coach Odyssey failed to register in CA

Dear friends,
I am not sure any user bought 2021 Entegra coach Odyssey or similiar rig but now I have an issue to report, I failed to get registration for my new rig today. In order to get DMV registration I need smog test result and I tried 2 different SMOG station, both of them report following error, please see attached picture that I take from SMOG station.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/a...1&d=1605658656

I checked with DMV twice and all they can do is ask me to call a smog referee which usually within some community college. I never heard about this before and wondering if anyone else in this forum heard this before?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6702.jpg  
kyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:58 PM   #2

The Communist state of California strikes again

I'd check with the dealer on this
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:25 PM   #3

It would be a FORD issue since they provide the VIN# for the chassis. Is there a typo on the registration? I'd contact a FORD dealer with your VIN and see what they say.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It would be a FORD issue since they provide the VIN# for the chassis. Is there a typo on the registration? I'd contact a FORD dealer with your VIN and see what they say.
Thank you, VIN# is fine. I double checked VIN# is correct, I also used that VIN# to search from vin checker or similar and info I get match with real thing. DMV printed VIN as a barcode and SMOG station scan it, make it almost impossible to have a typo. I just do not know what is wrong. DMV said they have no idea why SMOG station will report such error but need that done to register the vehicle. SMOG said they can't do the test due to error and I need to check with DMV. I was like in the middle, no way to move. Called DMV multiple times but no way to get hold of anyone can help.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:49 PM   #5

Did u buy it outside of California
Old 11-17-2020, 08:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
Did u buy it outside of California
Yes. Can anything wrong when buy outside of CA?
Old 11-17-2020, 09:04 PM   #7

Yes

Cali has very strict laws...I'm sure your missing a vital important item in your emissions or electronics tied to the emissions

Could get pretty spendy knowing California
Old 11-17-2020, 09:10 PM   #8

Like buying a gun in california, has to be california compliant

So cars, And 12 other states like Oregon too, follow california higher testing regulations

I'm in AZ, wonder if mine would pass
Old 11-17-2020, 09:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
Like buying a gun in california, has to be california compliant

So cars, And 12 other states like Oregon too, follow california higher testing regulations

I'm in AZ, wonder if mine would pass
Thank you Stavman. This is expected since CA put more regulations. That totally make sense if my rig can't pass SMOG test. However my problem is not able to run SMOG test at all, "The vehicle under test was not found in the Vehicle Lookup Table! The Smog Check must be aborted." which is very frustrating.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:26 PM   #10

Sounds to me like its smog exempt.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:06 PM   #11

Why I'm wondering if an electric or chip issue

Not finding it couse it's not compliant, meaning, not California Compliant , thus your VIN is not valid
Old 11-18-2020, 07:15 AM   #12

Wow. Call the dealer you bought from and without telling them you have one ask if RVs they sell are California smog compliant. If not compliant you have no choice but to plate in another state. Another reason no not live in an otherwise beautiful state. Good luck

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:50 AM   #13

I bought 2018 Greyhawk 26Y at Tampa, FL in 2018. I took mine to smog station only and I had no issue. You might try smog station only. The different is you have new "godzilla" V8 engine instead of V10.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper2020 View Post
Wow. Call the dealer you bought from and without telling them you have one ask if RVs they sell are California smog compliant.
Any local FORD dealer could check that just with the VIN,
Old 11-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper2020 View Post
Wow. Call the dealer you bought from and without telling them you have one ask if RVs they sell are California smog compliant. If not compliant you have no choice but to plate in another state. Another reason no not live in an otherwise beautiful state. Good luck

Enjoy the journey
Nothing says it is not smog compliant. The screen shot posted says it can't be tested because the vehicle cannot be found. That is a data entry or vehicle identification error and not a smog compliance problem.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #16

Like I said

It was sold in a none Cali compliant state. So it probably won't register to them

I'd call the dealer it was purchased from and ask if there RVs are cali compliant
Old 11-18-2020, 11:46 AM   #17

Never buy a car out of state if you're a CA resident... Sure you "can" but the requirements are so very specific to CA and the rules in place in CA to register an out of state vehicle make it extremely difficult to do so. The only real exemption to this is if you register it out of state and "move" to CA, then you get some exceptions but...

People can blame CA and say all of the negative things they want that are completely irrelevant, air quality matters and that's why these restrictions exist (mostly). As a CA resident I'm a bit surprised you weren't previously aware of this...

Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro01 View Post
Never buy a car out of state if you're a CA resident... Sure you "can" but the requirements are so very specific to CA and the rules in place in CA to register an out of state vehicle make it extremely difficult to do so. The only real exemption to this is if you register it out of state and "move" to CA, then you get some exceptions but...

People can blame CA and say all of the negative things they want that are completely irrelevant, air quality matters and that's why these restrictions exist (mostly). As a CA resident I'm a bit surprised you weren't previously aware of this...

Jeff
Exactly my point
Old 11-18-2020, 04:22 PM   #19

If it is a vin issue, I personally, I would go directly to Ford. Do not contact a dealership, but Ford's customer service center.

All US cars and trucks are now built to CA standards. Most of the time the manufactures no clue where a vehicle is going to end up, so they have to build to the strictest standards.

I do not know CA rules, I believe that is on a Ford F53 chassis, Which is considered a medium duty truck chassis (think dock truck). Per the second paragraph of the attached link, implies that smog checks are not required until 2023 on medium duty trucks. If you read that paragraph they way I did, I would look up that bill in more detail, then I would contact the California DMV.

https://www.trucks.com/2019/09/24/ca...Dduty%20trucks.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:43 PM   #20

As he mentioned, it's not that's it's failed testing... The VIN # does not register

Which leads me to believe that it wasn't California Compliant, thus not showing up in their system

Or its way worse and something is wrong with the VIN number entirely