Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #1

New class c batt.

This is an awareness to new owners, check your batteries. Ours had 3 cells close to bone dry, another attention to detail issue by dealer...
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
This is an awareness to new owners, check your batteries. Ours had 3 cells close to bone dry, another attention to detail issue by dealer...
If the plates were actually uncovered there is a chance the battery may be damaged and not able to deliver its stated capacity. Might want to raise the issue with the dealership because if you only have one house battery, you certainly want it to be in tip-top shape! If possible have a load test done on the battery.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #3

Cherv,

Take a couple of minutes to check the bottom of the battery. I don't know what model motorhome you have, but Jayco uses sliding battery trays they purchase from a secondary supplier and some of those battery trays are defective. The rivets were put in upside-down and were gouging the bottom of the batteries enough that they were creating pin-holes in the battery and the acid was leaking out. Jayco will replace the battery and tray at no cost. Ask me how I know...

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:03 AM   #4

thanks, we just purchased a 2019 jayco class c model 22j. our battery is in a compartment under the entry steps.. what units had this problem????
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:11 AM   #5

Cherv,

I don't know which units, how many or in what year the problem developed. We have a 2018 29MV which had the issue and was corrected.

Ed

Old 12-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
Cherv,

I don't know which units, how many or in what year the problem developed. We have a 2018 29MV which had the issue and was corrected.

Ed
Coincidentally we are having our battery draw replaced as well on our 2018 Greyhawk 29MV as well. Our battery pull out as rusted closed, I wonder if it caused by the battery corrosion. i will certainly check the rivets on the new draw.
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Cherv,

Ed
What was your manufacture date??
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Nardu View Post
What was your manufacture date??
K9,

Off hand, I have no idea. We ordered it in August and it was delivered in November of 2018. Is it stamped or printed somewhere? I won't be close to it until the end of December to check.

Ed

Old 12-05-2018, 07:39 PM   #9

A lead acid battery has 6 cells hooked in series. A lead acid cell is 2.25 volts. 2.25volts times 6 cells is 13.5 volts. Exposed plates frequently are destroyed. If, say, one cell goes bad for this reason the battery voltage is effectively lowered by th 2.25 volts that cell added. This means you are now the owner of a 11.25 volt battery. Some things may work and others will not. You need a new battery. If you have more than one battery the battery with the bad cell will only hold that 11.25 volts and will discharge the other batteries somewhat quickly to the 11.25 volts. Take that battery out of the parrelel chain of batteries. No matter how good the other batteries are they will be drained by the battery with bad cell(s).

Rick

Sorry for a complicated answer for a simple question.
Rick 17RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #10

If you do have to replace it, consider getting two and hooking them up in parallel. Same voltage, double amperage. Jayco puts the cables in the manual bag.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Cherv,

Take a couple of minutes to check the bottom of the battery. I don't know what model motorhome you have, but Jayco uses sliding battery trays they purchase from a secondary supplier and some of those battery trays are defective. The rivets were put in upside-down and were gouging the bottom of the batteries enough that they were creating pin-holes in the battery and the acid was leaking out. Jayco will replace the battery and tray at no cost. Ask me how I know...
Can you give more info? My 2017 29MV battery died. When I removed it from the sliding box, I saw the rivets backwards and protruding into the box. So I asked my Great Bend, KS Jayco dealer, referencing your post. They said their contact at Jayco had no knowledge of any battery box replacement.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #12

Asking you for details how you know. My 2017 29MV appears to havethe same problem,but when I sent pix to my dealer in Great Bend, KS, they said their Jayco rep didn’t know of any fix.