Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #1

New class c wandering and darting

I have a new 2019 class c greyhawk that wanders from side to side and darts when passed by 18 wheelers. Also wind will do the same to it. Which is the best fix for this problem. Installing the engals sleeves to get more caster or installing the safe T plus steering stabilizer.
Thanks for any information and help
Dada
Dada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:20 PM   #2

Yes, get an alignment with as much caster as possible, and the steering stabilizer won't hurt. Do a search here, there are multiple threads on this issue.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:53 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Not sure which model you have, but we have the same chassis. Yes, pepole have said adding caster helps, on longer rigs. Other biggies is replacing th front Ford OEM thin sway bar with a Helwig one. It's a lot bigger, solid and reduces the lean and sway.

What eliminated that darting and taking off when hitting ruts is adding a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer with the coil spring in place of the OEM Ford steering shock absorber. This unit recenters the wheel after taking a bump, gust, rut, etc.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:03 AM   #4

I will echo the above...

1) Alignment with high caster setting using the sleeves
2) Steering stabilizer (not just an upgraded damper, but a true stabilizer like the Roadmaster Reflex or the Safe T Steer)
3) Upgraded front sway bar (Hellwig or Roadmaster)

I also added Sumo extended bump stops up front to help even more to mitigate body roll. And the added benefit of a steering stabilizer is that if you have a front-tire blowout, it will help you keep the rig under control.

It kind of sucks to have to add $1,000 worth of after-market parts and labor to a brand new coach, but it's worth it IMO for the dramatic improvement in driving experience and stability. I just got back from a trip where we did 700 miles in one day, and 650 after a layover; no way I could have done that with my rig set up like it was the day I brought it home.

And don't forget to properly adjust your helper springs in the rear. They come from Jayco with a minimum adjustment; basically they're just bolted on and not doing anything. Jayco doesn't adjust them to the proper specification after they add the box to the chassis.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #5

We had our Greyhawk aligned and replaced the stock joust bumpers with Sumo Springs and it took the majority of the slushyness out of the coach.
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #6

Thanks a lot for wonderful advice. Also my rig is the 29mv model
Thanks again
Dada
Dada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Not sure which model you have, but we have the same chassis. Yes, pepole have said adding caster helps, on longer rigs. Other biggies is replacing th front Ford OEM thin sway bar with a Helwig one. It's a lot bigger, solid and reduces the lean and sway.

What eliminated that darting and taking off when hitting ruts is adding a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer with the coil spring in place of the OEM Ford steering shock absorber. This unit recenters the wheel after taking a bump, gust, rut, etc.
Hi where can we get the OEM bar?
Marcel2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:05 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel2011 View Post
Hi where can we get the OEM bar?
If you want the front OEM (Ford stock) sway bar, you can get it directly from Ford. I'd give you mine, but it went out in the trash (where it belonged).

If you want the upgraded Hellwig one, that many of us have installed, you can get it from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-7718-...gateway&sr=8-2
Old 09-06-2019, 08:18 AM   #9

Quote:
If you want the front OEM (Ford stock) sway bar, you can get it directly from Ford. I'd give you mine, but it went out in the trash (where it belonged).

If you want the upgraded Hellwig one, that many of us have installed, you can get it from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Hellwig-7718-...gateway&sr=8-2
I still have mine if anyone wants it. It's in a heap with a bunch of other worthless metal parts waiting to go to the local steel mill's recycling program. Might even get enough money for an ice cold Coca-Cola!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #10

Bow Wave and Upgrades

Our previous RV was a Class C 30 footer on the E450 chassis. Drove me nuts in wind and when passed by 18 wheelers. Camper Bob and Retired One are spot on, the Ford anti-sway bar belongs in junk pile. Replaced front and rear sway bars with Hellwigs, Roadmaster steering stabilizer and Kona $$ shocks. Made a world of difference. No more white knuckle trips. On 18 wheelers - above will help but you cannot change physics. Type in bow wave to understand the push and then the pull of being passed. With a left side passing semi you learn to steer a little left and then as it passes back to the right.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #11

We are very interested in the 29 MVP and have been browsing this forum. I see lots of recommendations to modify the handling and I am all for applying these. My two questions are. Has anyone asked the dealer to make these modifications as part of the sale and, with the "J-Ride installed do any of these modifications void the warranty.
GJRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:59 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJRVers View Post
We are very interested in the 29 MVP and have been browsing this forum. I see lots of recommendations to modify the handling and I am all for applying these. My two questions are. Has anyone asked the dealer to make these modifications as part of the sale and, with the "J-Ride installed do any of these modifications void the warranty.
I doesn't hurt to ask the dealer, but I doubt they would, unless they are really hungry for the sale.

I don't think it would affect the warranty, since Jayco/MORride installs the upgraded rear Hellwig sway bar as part of the JRide Plus in your rig.

Why they don't do the rest of these upgrades at the same time is really puzzling, as everyone knows the benefits of them.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:00 AM   #13

They do it because it saves Jayco money. I don't think it's smart in the long run, but I don't run Jayco. It's almost a situation where this old time saying would fit. "Penny wise, pound foolish". The saying is from Ben Franklin before the US was the US. The colonies were still using the British pound system for money.

Personally, even it if the individual unit cost would go up a little, seems as if a MH handled great out of the box, with no after market additions by the owner needed, it would enhance the reputation of Jayco units, and should encourage more people to buy them.

Quote:
I doesn't hurt to ask the dealer, but I doubt they would, unless they are really hungry for the sale.

I don't think it would affect the warranty, since Jayco/MORride installs the upgraded rear Hellwig sway bar as part of the JRide Plus in your rig.

Why they don't do the rest of these upgrades at the same time is really puzzling, as everyone knows the benefits of them.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
They do it because it saves Jayco money. I don't think it's smart in the long run, but I don't run Jayco. It's almost a situation where this old time saying would fit. "Penny wise, pound foolish". The saying is from Ben Franklin before the US was the US. The colonies were still using the British pound system for money.

Personally, even it if the individual unit cost would go up a little, seems as if a MH handled great out of the box, with no after market additions by the owner needed, it would enhance the reputation of Jayco units, and should encourage more people to buy them.
To do anything would be acknowledging a possible steering problem exists and that might introduce possible legal implications for Jayco Inc.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJRVers View Post
......Has anyone asked the dealer to make these modifications as part of the sale.......

I had my alignment done by a heavy duty truck shop. They were familiar with the E-450 chassis and have worked on large RVs.
I installed the Helwig front sway bar and the Safe-T-Steer myself.

I didn't feel I could trust the dealer (CW) to do any of the work.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:10 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvard View Post
To do anything would be acknowledging a possible steering problem exists and that might introduce possible legal implications for Jayco Inc.
They already acknowledge that there is a ride/handling issue by upgrading the rigs with JRide and JRide Plus, so I don't think that holds any credence.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #17

I’ve posted this before; I did many many upgrades to my Redhawk’s suspension, however, the biggest improvement I received was when I installed a rear track bar by Super Steer.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
I’ve posted this before; I did many many upgrades to my Redhawk’s suspension, however, the biggest improvement I received was when I installed a rear track bar by Super Steer.
I've been looking at that. It being a bit pricey, I was waiting to hear how much improvement it gives....
I just got back from a trip from Myrtle Beach and the OBX back to home in PA, and since it's been a bit breezy I've had to saw on the wheel almost the whole time.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:14 PM   #19

Does this one fit the E450? The Amazon link says it fits E350's and when I check for more vehicle listings, they only go to the 350. Not the 450's that my Greyhawk is on
Big Daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:36 PM   #20

It’s the SS450. I bought it from www.RVAutoParts.Com
They had the best price I found and they were one of the very few sites that had the SS450 who accepted PayPal credit.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote