Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2018, 02:08 AM   #1

New greyhawk 29 ME discoveries

Got my greyhawk 29 ME 3 weeks ago and have camped out twice. So far very satisfied with this unit. Love the 3 slide outs floorplan and the roomnies it provides. Handles very well on the highway at 70 mph. I toad a small 2015 Ford focus with ease. Somethings I discovered I need to do something about are: no side boards on windows MB valances - my wife very disgusted with it. Heck they are installed on all other windows why not install them in the MB too. Drives me nuts. Of course I discovered this after the fact I have already closed on deal and dealer said Jayco doesn't install them. Another thing is no spare tire comes with unit. I also overlooked this during PDI walk through. So now I got to get one at my cost. Hate myself for overlooking this important item - I know dealer would've thrown the spare tire in if I had asked them. Too late now once deal is complete you are out of luck. Call dealer and of course they are too busy now. Another thing is no slide outs awnings. But this I noticed right away and this is on me to have them install. Camping world quoted me$1500 to install all 3. Will do this cause I don't want junk to get in there and damage the seals. And the fridge don't seem to work very good on LPgas - work good on AC. But I read posts in this forum that this is a problem with this fridge and some ways to remedy the situation. Will work on taking care of these issues but so far and pleased with unit overall. Comments welcome.
Enrique 1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique 1954 View Post
Got my greyhawk 29 ME 3 weeks ago and have camped out twice. So far very satisfied with this unit. Love the 3 slide outs floorplan and the roomnies it provides. Handles very well on the highway at 70 mph. I toad a small 2015 Ford focus with ease. Somethings I discovered I need to do something about are: no side boards on windows MB valances - my wife very disgusted with it. Heck they are installed on all other windows why not install them in the MB too. Drives me nuts. Of course I discovered this after the fact I have already closed on deal and dealer said Jayco doesn't install them. Another thing is no spare tire comes with unit. I also overlooked this during PDI walk through. So now I got to get one at my cost. Hate myself for overlooking this important item - I know dealer would've thrown the spare tire in if I had asked them. Too late now once deal is complete you are out of luck. Call dealer and of course they are too busy now. Another thing is no slide outs awnings. But this I noticed right away and this is on me to have them install. Camping world quoted me$1500 to install all 3. Will do this cause I don't want junk to get in there and damage the seals. And the fridge don't seem to work very good on LPgas - work good on AC. But I read posts in this forum that this is a problem with this fridge and some ways to remedy the situation. Will work on taking care of these issues but so far and pleased with unit overall. Comments welcome.
I have a 29ME and my wife had the same issue with the MB window valances not having Legs (that's what Jayco calls them). I was able to purchase two full sets of the dinette valance and legs. I stalled the legs on each MB window. It worked great. Now everyone is happy. remember to order the clips for the bottom of the legs. It makes it easier than going to a hardware store in search of the right sized angle brackets.
Regarding the spare tire, don't bother. it's easier to either buy the tire coverage or a good roadside service coverage. I've already blown a tire and I got it changed and mounted at a rest area. All it cost me was a few hours delay.
Happy motoring.
billbeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #3

Put your awnings on yourself, not hard to do , save lots.
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #4

We too did this by ordering the side panels from dealer. Visit my thread here.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...des-55989.html
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJackSprat View Post
We too did this by ordering the side panels from dealer. Visit my thread here.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...des-55989.html
We did the same.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:22 PM   #6

Slide Toppers

Research your slide toppers before you have them installed. Most will not properly fit on the passenger side slideout due to the proximity of the Awning. If you do a search on here you will find a few posts. Many of the 29ME owners chose to go with Carefree of Colorado toppers. They do not overhang the end of the slide the way most toppers do and therefore are ideal for situations like ours. The other nice thing is they are fully enclosed so when driving into Provincial/State parks they are not subject to tears from the low hanging tree branches.

If you do look at the Carefree brand, I got advice from the manufacturer and they offered two options for the passenger slide. 103" provides good coverage and can be centered in the slide while 105" will provide better coverage but needs to be offset towards the front. I chose 103" for the esthetic, in retrospect I would recommend the 105" for the better coverage.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #7

Thank you all for the great feedbacks. Griswald One I will definitely do some research on the toppers but it appears that the Carefree ones will do the job. Will post my results once I get some of these jobs done.
Enrique 1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Research your slide toppers before you have them installed. Most will not properly fit on the passenger side slideout due to the proximity of the Awning. If you do a search on here you will find a few posts. Many of the 29ME owners chose to go with Carefree of Colorado toppers. They do not overhang the end of the slide the way most toppers do and therefore are ideal for situations like ours. The other nice thing is they are fully enclosed so when driving into Provincial/State parks they are not subject to tears from the low hanging tree branches.

If you do look at the Carefree brand, I got advice from the manufacturer and they offered two options for the passenger slide. 103" provides good coverage and can be centered in the slide while 105" will provide better coverage but needs to be offset towards the front. I chose 103" for the esthetic, in retrospect I would recommend the 105" for the better coverage.
I used the Carefree brand on mine and have been very satisfied.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote