Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #261

Thank you all!
I sent your comments to my husband.

I'm just a little frustrated because my husband does inspect the roof and is quite capable of checking & repairing seals.

They just really implied that unless they did it if there were problems down the road Jayco wouldn't cover it.

I think from now on we'll just make sure that everything is sealed right and there won't be problems down the road.

Chris
Old 01-04-2021, 09:30 AM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if you popped a P0420 or P0430 check-engine code after a bit of driving. The upstream and downstream OČ sensors are expected to see non-similar readings.

Yup. Can't remember what the code number was, but it came up with something about the catalyst being bad. I know it's not. And the sensor is brand new Ford OEM from the dealer, so I know it's not the sensor (and the code didn't mention the sensor).

I have a code reader, so I cleared the temporary code, but there is a "permanent" code as well that gets cleared once the issue is fixed after a few start/run cycles.

I was talking to my brother over the holidays, and I have a plan to cut the new cat out, turn it around and use butt clamps to put it back in. These "universal" cats are not direction-specific (though I will take a closer look before I do any cutting), and just flipping it around should put the O2 sensor in the right place.

As for the roof, if you have an extended warranty, there could be different inspection requirements. Otherwise, document document document. Take notes and pictures with time/date stamps if you self-inspect...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:21 AM   #263

Thanks Bob,

We will document the roof inspections and maintenance regardless of who does it.

I just don't think $500 is an appropriate charge for what they did on a virtually new rig!

Chris
Old 03-25-2021, 08:10 AM   #264

Standard Update

So I finally got tired of waiting around for stuff to happen and made a reservation at a new place down at the coast. The fam needs some beach therapy.

Brought the rig home from storage Monday, started making ice and getting things de-winterized.

Last night I hooked up the garden hose to city water, tested the water lines to ensure no leaks, filled the fresh water tank, ran the water pump, installed pulley in engine bay to stop the 2100 RPM rattle (there's a sticky in the Class C section about this), found that a shard of lumber had pierced a wiring loom and has been hanging out of it under my rig for a LONG time (no damage, removed the shard and repaired the loom), topped off the tire pressure, removed some excess heat ducting that was coiled up next to the furnace.

I went to un-bypass the water heater, and had a significant amount of pressure in the lines and freaked out a little. We had a multi-day hard freeze a few weeks ago, so I was sure I was going to have a busted fitting or pipe. So I took out the panel in front of the furnace, and the one under the shower to inspect for leaks after I put the system under city water pressure. Thankfully, no leaks, and I still haven't figured out how there was so much pressure and water in the lines. I also discovered about 3 feet of excess heater duct stuffed into the compartment with the furnace, so I cut that out and reattached the now properly sized duct to the furnace. Warm air should flow better now!

I discovered that Jayco installed the furnace ON TOP of some of the water lines going through there. They are completely inaccessible without removing the furnace.

Once I got pressure up and was satisfied there were no leaks, I went back to the kitchen faucet and no water would come out.

I went back to the bathroom and the shower and those faucets ran fine. I pulled the screen out of the bathroom faucet and found a BUNCH of crap in it. Back-flushed it, re-installed and it's running fine. Went back to the kitchen faucet and removed the screen; far less debris, but still wouldn't flow. I got down under the cabinets and loosened the water supply ever so slightly and got water. So I know something's wrong with the faucet itself. Must be another screen in it somewhere that's stopped up. But I HATE that faucet anyway, so I'll be replacing it I think. Further, I think this "debris" came from my water heater, so I'll plan to flush that at my earliest convenience.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-25-2021, 08:24 AM   #265
Site Team

Just another day In the life of a RV owner!
Keeping you on your toes.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:31 AM   #266

All I can say is, tankless water heater!
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:57 AM   #267

Oh my! Our get ready protocol isn't quite what yours is!

Have a wonderful time Bob! Can't wait to hear about your adventure!

We haven't stopped at all this past year....we are always so excited when we get back in our "Carhouse" (grand daughter name).

Be Safe! I (we) need you (and others) to answer all my questions!!

Chris
Old 03-25-2021, 09:43 AM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by seastonemtn View Post
Oh my! Our get ready protocol isn't quite what yours is!

Have a wonderful time Bob! Can't wait to hear about your adventure!

We haven't stopped at all this past year....we are always so excited when we get back in our "Carhouse" (grand daughter name).

Be Safe! I (we) need you (and others) to answer all my questions!!

Chris
LOL!! Yes, my "normal" trip prep is not nearly this involved. This was the first time the rig's been home since winterizing it in the Fall, or maybe Christmas time...? Anyway, since we didn't use it much in 2020, I didn't have it home to work on. I try to do one or two mods or maintenance items the week before we leave for a trip. This one just happens to be the "annual wake-up" trip where I have a bunch of tasks built up and my "to-do" list is quite lengthy.

Told DW the other day that I need one or two complete weekends each year so I can just batch everything together and get it all knocked out at once. She informed me that in order to do that, I'd have to give up hunting trips. Whole lotta NOPE right there! So I'll continue working through my "lists" piecemeal in the evenings the weeks before trips!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-29-2021, 08:26 AM   #269

Matagorda Bay Nature Park

Went down there for a short weekend getaway. Drive down was WINDY, but not too bad. Family slept the whole way, so I was "on my own". I don't mind, but don't tell my wife that! Checked in by phone since we were to be late arrival.

Stopped at Stanley's General Store on the way in (last spot for fuel on the way down to the park) for some great cheeseburgers and other "whatnot". My son went ABSOLUTELY CRAZY in that store. Fuel was non-ethanol, and fuel station was a bit tight, but workable.

Park was VERY clean and well maintained. Power post was a tad sketchy, but worked just fine. Water was sketchy too, but we don't drink CG water, so I didn't worry too much about that. Host came by in the morning to drop off my "parking" pass and rule sheet with codes for the bathroom/laundry (we used neither). Two lighted fishing piers were well used. Several campsites along the water that would've been nice to have, but weren't available. We ended up in a pull-thru that was long enough to accommodate 2 or 3 rigs; we had PLENTY of space.

Beach access and jetty access were easy, and there were several people out enjoying the fishing (which was SLOW last weekend). Another beach access point is available, but 4x4 is HIGHLY recommended (I'd say REQUIRED). Jeep had no problem getting 5 miles up the beach for some social distancing. We could barely see the people up and down beach from us, so it was VERY secluded (which is EXACTLY what we were looking for).

Storms blew in early Sunday morning, and I had forgotten to reel in the awning. Dog woke us up barking at the thumping, realized it was the awning and managed to get it rolled up before any damage. We were lucky. Little dog got mad props for alerting us that something was amiss.

Drive home was even more windy than drive down. Intense gusting cross-winds the entire drive. I was WORN OUT by the time we got home. Non-ethanol fuel had the rig singing nicely all the way home; rig ran smoother, had more power, less shifting, better economy. I've decided I'm going to make more effort to keep non-ethanol fuel in it from now on.

Happy to report that the pulley stopped the infamous "rattling" from the engine bay.

Hughes Watchdog was watching out for us Saturday evening when everything in the rig tried to start up at once. Had DW cut off one of the AC units and the water heater, was able to reset the Watchdog from my phone and we were back in business.

Save for the weather, it was a nice trip to a nice park. We will definitely go back. Hopefully the fishing will be a little better next time...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-29-2021, 09:49 AM   #270

I went thru a similar prep a week ago. We snuck off to Moab for Spring Break.

Oil / filter change on Ford, o/c on generator, dewinterize, sanitize everything. Reload supplies/

Noticed the bathroom door was cocked, not closing. Top hinge was bent. Noticed the cheap door handle fell apart. Took door down, straightened hinges, installed new lockset.

I like Norty's comment - just another day.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:27 AM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I went thru a similar prep a week ago. We snuck off to Moab for Spring Break.

Oil / filter change on Ford, o/c on generator, dewinterize, sanitize everything. Reload supplies/

Noticed the bathroom door was cocked, not closing. Top hinge was bent. Noticed the cheap door handle fell apart. Took door down, straightened hinges, installed new lockset.

I like Norty's comment - just another day.
Yup, still need to do oil changes, lube slide seals, lube slide motors (rear Schwintek slide), and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember right now.

Flushed the water heater yesterday while prepping to go back into storage, and was disappointed not to have much come out of there that I could see. I guess I'll get one of those fancy wand things...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 03-29-2021, 10:37 AM   #272
Site Team

Something you will never hear a RV owner say:

" Well, there is nothing that needs doing on the camper!"
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:39 PM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Something you will never hear a RV owner say:

" Well, there is nothing that needs doing on the camper!"
TRUTH!!

It really never ends. Like Jeeps ... or boats ... There's ALWAYS something. Just when you think you've got it all, the maintenance list starts over, and you find something else to fix during maintenance items, or you find a modification you want to make, or ... or ... it JUST KEEP GOING!!

I don't know what I'd do if my "toys" didn't need something. Probably get bored and get a new toy to tinker with!! LOL!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-19-2021, 07:40 PM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I'll update as more work or trips are completed. In the meantime, some pictures:

First shows how I disabled the in-motion safety for the TV outlet above the cab. Purple wire was cut, folded back on itself and heat-shrunk on both sides of the cut.
Bob,

I'm thinking about adding a duplex outlet to the overhead bunk side of the cabinet over the door into our 29MV (behind the main TV where the mass of wires come out of a half-dollar size hole and goes to the TV and DVD player). We use the bunk area only for storage and I need an out of the way place to keep the tablet and hub for our RVi brake system plugged in while we are camped. In your picture in post #54, you opened up the area behind the TV outlet to cut the purple wire. Was it difficult to open that area up and how did you do it? Do you remember if there was enough room on the left side of the cabinet to cut in a new box and outlet? How does it look now that everything is back in place? Was there enough room in the existing TV outlet box to add a piece of Romex to go to the new box?

Thank you!

Ed

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:14 AM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
Bob,

I'm thinking about adding a duplex outlet to the overhead bunk side of the cabinet over the door into our 29MV (behind the main TV where the mass of wires come out of a half-dollar size hole and goes to the TV and DVD player). We use the bunk area only for storage and I need an out of the way place to keep the tablet and hub for our RVi brake system plugged in while we are camped. In your picture in post #54, you opened up the area behind the TV outlet to cut the purple wire. Was it difficult to open that area up and how did you do it? Do you remember if there was enough room on the left side of the cabinet to cut in a new box and outlet? How does it look now that everything is back in place? Was there enough room in the existing TV outlet box to add a piece of Romex to go to the new box?

Thank you!

Ed
Getting the "box" open wasn't really a big deal, just a few Robertson head screws (If you don't have a #2 Robertson bit or driver, get one. It'll come in handy all over the rig). If you look closely in the attached image, you can see what holds that panel on against the "back" of the cabinet. It's just a little 1x1 trim piece held in with 2 Robertson screws. Not a big deal to remove at all.

As for space, By my estimation from what I can remember (it's been a long time since I was in there), there should be enough room in there to park another outlet. There's a lot of "extra" cable in there IIRC. If you got industrious, you could probably eliminate a lot of it. It'll be tight working in there, but there should be enough space. I do intend to get back in there at some point and tidy that up some, but that's pretty far down on the list.

I wouldn't put a new outlet in there though as there's really no need. There is already an outlet there, it's just inside the cabinet. Perhaps a much simpler thing to do would be to get an AC "power strip", plug it in to the existing outlet, route it out of the cabinet and attach it to the outside of the "box".

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Outlets-Deskt...1518509&sr=8-4

That's just a random one I found on Amazon. I use something similar near my side of the bed. SUPER handy for all sorts of things. SUPER easy to install since you'll just plug it in to the existing outlet. You could work a little harder and make it look nice too.

Right now, I have a simple 3-tap splitter up there, and when I need to use it I just open up the cabinet and feed the wires out of the opening. Not pretty or elegant, but we don't use that very often. I have an old ROKU box that I'll use up there every now and again; that's really the only thing other than the TV and DVD player I plug in up there.

This pic is looking into the cabinet; on top you can see the existing OEM duplex outlet with splitter plugged in. Right now I have the DVD player, TV, and a printer plugged into that outlet (I'm currently working from my rig in my driveway). If I were you, I'd run my little power strip in through the same hole where all the cables for the TV go in, route it out through the hole in my pic, and simply plug it into the existing outlet and attach your power strip wherever you need it.
Attached Thumbnails
TV CAB.jpg  

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-20-2021, 08:50 AM   #276

Quote:
If I were you, I'd run my little power strip in through the same hole where all the cables for the TV go in, route it out through the hole in my pic, and simply plug it into the existing outlet and attach your power strip wherever you need it.
Bob,

That was my original plan. I have a power strip almost exactly like the one you show, unfortunately the two holes in the cabinet are too small to fit the plug of the power strip through with all the other wires going through them. And I didn't want to arbitrarily drill new holes in both ends of the cabinet without knowing what was behind where I would be drilling (knowing Jayco's propensity for messy wiring nests).

I do agree with you that the easiest solution would be a splitter (or just unplugging the DVD player that we never use) and run the cord for the power strip out the cabinet door and mount it somewhere over behind the TV. Sometimes I should just leave well enough alone.

Thanks as always for the suggestions and information.

Ed

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:37 PM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
Bob,

That was my original plan. I have a power strip almost exactly like the one you show, unfortunately the two holes in the cabinet are too small to fit the plug of the power strip through with all the other wires going through them. And I didn't want to arbitrarily drill new holes in both ends of the cabinet without knowing what was behind where I would be drilling (knowing Jayco's propensity for messy wiring nests).

I do agree with you that the easiest solution would be a splitter (or just unplugging the DVD player that we never use) and run the cord for the power strip out the cabinet door and mount it somewhere over behind the TV. Sometimes I should just leave well enough alone.

Thanks as always for the suggestions and information.

Ed
LOL!! "Leave well enough alone" is not what this is all about!! There's ALWAYS something that can be improved!!

Anyway, before I tried to put a new hole, and mount a new outlet, I'd look at simply opening up the existing holes a little, just enough to allow the plug to go through.

But I'm kind of lazy that way; I'm always going to look for the easiest way to get what I want/need.

You're absolutely right about not going into that area "blind". There is certainly a nest of wire back there inside that "box". Plus I'm pretty sure a bunch goes through the "false bottom" back toward the main panel by the door too (have not verified, just inserting logic, probably where it doesn't belong LOL!!).

It's really no difficult chore to take out that panel and peek in there to see what's going on. Couple of screws, a little wiggling, and that panel comes right out. Just use common sense and cut power before you go digging around in there, lest you get an unintentional jolt from 110V AC. Jayco is not known for strong wiring connections, so don't be surprised if something pulls loose easily.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-21-2021, 09:51 AM   #278

Unhappy My first plumbing leak

So we're basically living in our RV in our driveway while our S&B is undergoing some renovation. We've been using it as a home office during the day as well. Basically we just go in the house to sleep ... in a huge pile of our stuff that has been moved into our room... I almost died the other night getting up for "nature's call" when I tripped on a basket of "stuff" and almost fell into the 30G fish tank. I digress...

So yesterday evening, DW was getting something out of the bedroom in our camper when she stepped in a puddle. Thought it was the dog, but nope, that was "fresh" water. I got down there and took a look and mopped up some of the water (it wasn't all that much). I had a pretty good idea where it was coming from.

So I lifted the bed, took out the panel over the water pump/back of the control valves, and sure enough, found my leak. That plastic tee fitting between the brass valves on my water control center was leaking.

So, since I don't have crimping tools, I went on the hunt for some screw-type hose clamps. I knew I had to have some laying around. Found 3, needed 3 (whew!). Took it all apart, applied some teflon tape to the threads on the leaky joint, and put it back together.

Then discovered the OTHER side of the tee started leaking!

Should've just taken it all apart and sealed everything, but I was just looking for a stop-gap until I had more time to get in there and get it done right. Plus I didn't have the clamps on-hand to fix it after I took it apart.

Looks like I'll have to "make" time... Picking up parts at the store today...

ETA: Guess I may as well re-mount the water pump while I'm down there. It still makes too much noise for my comfort... Maybe tidy up some wires... Oh gawd! Here we go!
Attached Thumbnails
Plumbing.jpg  

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 06-02-2021, 08:18 AM   #279

Quote:
So we're basically living in our RV in our driveway while our S&B is undergoing some renovation. We've been using it as a home office during the day as well. Basically we just go in the house to sleep ... in a huge pile of our stuff that has been moved into our room... I almost died the other night getting up for "nature's call" when I tripped on a basket of "stuff" and almost fell into the 30G fish tank. I digress...

So yesterday evening, DW was getting something out of the bedroom in our camper when she stepped in a puddle. Thought it was the dog, but nope, that was "fresh" water. I got down there and took a look and mopped up some of the water (it wasn't all that much). I had a pretty good idea where it was coming from.

So I lifted the bed, took out the panel over the water pump/back of the control valves, and sure enough, found my leak. That plastic tee fitting between the brass valves on my water control center was leaking.

So, since I don't have crimping tools, I went on the hunt for some screw-type hose clamps. I knew I had to have some laying around. Found 3, needed 3 (whew!). Took it all apart, applied some teflon tape to the threads on the leaky joint, and put it back together.

Then discovered the OTHER side of the tee started leaking!

Should've just taken it all apart and sealed everything, but I was just looking for a stop-gap until I had more time to get in there and get it done right. Plus I didn't have the clamps on-hand to fix it after I took it apart.

Looks like I'll have to "make" time... Picking up parts at the store today...

ETA: Guess I may as well re-mount the water pump while I'm down there. It still makes too much noise for my comfort... Maybe tidy up some wires... Oh gawd! Here we go!
Had the same issue on my 2018 29 MV. I replaced the entire water manifold with brass screw on fittings. Just one more example of Jayco cheap construction.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:27 AM   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
Had the same issue on my 2018 29 MV. I replaced the entire water manifold with brass screw on fittings. Just one more example of Jayco cheap construction.
Yep.

We're still basically living in it right now (waiting on appliances in the S&B), and we had to take it for a "work" trip last weekend, so I had to fix it like right now. I went to Home Depot and "eyeballed" a tee fitting, got set up to do the swap, took it all apart, and ... it didn't fit. I "eyeballed" the wrong size.

So, since I needed it fixed RFN, I just took it all apart and applied a liberal amount of teflon tape. No leaky now.

I still plan to switch it out for brass, but it'll have to wait a while longer... Unfortunately, I've gotten pretty good at taking that apart...

While I was at it, I re-routed some of the hoses to quiet the water pump down some (the hoses vibrate against the "enclosure" and make noise). It worked, but it's still not good enough for me yet.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV