Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-19-2023, 10:13 AM   #281

Wow, it's been a minute since I updated this thread!! We really haven't used the rig much the last 2 years. In fact, the registration is out of date over 2 years! Life and work just got in the way for a bit. But I've resolved myself that we're going to travel A LOT more in 2024. Whatever it takes to make it happen!!

Anyway, last night's project was installing a DIY air flow diverter in the plenum of the "front" AC unit. I watched some videos, got some good ideas, and stopped to pick up materials on my way home from work.

Materials were 2 pieces of rigid 1" foam insulation, can't remember the size, but I think 2x2, and I didn't even use one whole piece, and a roll of silver foil tape. I used knives and box cutter blades to cut the foam boards since my Harbor Fright jig saw has a bad bearing I think, and Home Depot only carries REALLY expensive jig saws. It's been an expensive Christmas, and while I would LOVE a new Dewalt 20V jig saw in my tool collection, I'm not ready to drop that money on an "occasional use" tool today. Same reason I didn't just drop some coin on the "RV Airflow" product that is available for plug & play installation.

Sorry, no pics.

My system was not set up like the ones I watched. The ducts in my camper sit right on the ceiling. So the "floor" of the box would have blocked a significant percentage of the duct openings. I overcame this by trimming the edges of the 1" rigid foam insulation to a severe angle.

I SHOULD have pivoted and used something thin for the floor of the box. I have plenty of scrap material I could've used (Masonite, Star-Board, heck, I even could've laminated a couple pieces of cardboard. But I had my mind stuck on using the foam...

Lots of measuring/conceptualizing/re-cutting, and a decent amount of tape, but I got it done.

It's not hot here, and I didn't take any "before" measurements of any kind. Initial results are encouraging and discouraging all at the same time. It is quieter, and I have the tools to measure that, but I didn't. Since the ducting runs the entire length of the camper, the "end" vents showed MASSIVE improvement in flow ("seat of the pants" measurement, but significant improvement). The disappointing part is that the vents in the middle of the rig showed far less improvement. Now, my rig has 2 AC units, both tied into the same duct work. So I may be able to trim down the vents in the bedroom to get more flow up front (we do this often when we're on the road to keep from running both AC units to keep passengers cool in transit). Plus if I run the 2nd AC, I'm sure I'll get a lot more flow from those middle vents. Perhaps I could get some benefit by just running the fan in the rear AC... Maybe something to try...

The question now is whether to install a diverter box in the rear AC. Of course, since I've done it once, doing it again should be MUCH easier and more effective. HOWEVER, if I do that, then I lose the "dump" function in the bedroom. Normally wouldn't be a problem, right? But my feeling is that I could trim down the duct venting in there, open a dump, and get PLENTY of cool air in that space, while pushing the rest up front where it's more needed. OTOH, I could just use the standard vents to trim what I need back there. The rear has ALWAYS worked a lot better because it's A LOT less cubic feet to cool, and there's no kitchen, few windows, and no outside door. I could hang meat in the back bedroom if I wanted to, even under the original configuration BEFORE I upgraded the front AC.

We have a short trip to my dad's for Christmas, and then after we have a longer trip. So I probably won't get to test out the AC at all for a while. I'll try to remember to update here if/when I install something in the rear plenum, and when I get a chance to give it a real "pressure test"...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 11:00 AM   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Well, I finally got a pic, so I figured I would officially "announce" the new rig. A few weeks ago, we traded in the Jayflight 28BHBE on a Greyhawk 29MV!

The pic is my son and I in front of the new rig, all loaded out for the maiden voyage. Our "Toad" on this trip was our 1994 Jeep Wrangler (YJ), and it did just fine. Except for one hiccup at the beginning of the voyage; I didn't actually have it in neutral because I didn't verify it was so before we took off. I stopped a few miles down the road and fixed it. I didn't have a chance to wire in the lights before we left, so I used my set of magnetic ones. On the way home the wire pulled out and the plug ripped off. It's okay, I'll just hard-wire it like I had planned. Last weekend, I traded in my Ram 2500 on a Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 (which I absolutely LOVE; shhh, don't tell my wife!) and I'll be amassing the parts and knowledge I need to set it up to be our primary toad in the future. The YJ is great and all, but with no AC and 100+ degree weather for a majority of our traveling window, it's not so much fun; the GC will be a much nicer toad for us, and it has a low-range 4-wd transfer case, so I can still get dirty if I want to.

The MH did just fine except for a few hiccups there too. It needs an alignment ... BAD. The tires need to be balanced, and the Helwig helpers on the rear need to be adjusted. Once I get those few issues straightened out, I'm sure it will drive A LOT better. I finally found a place that can do the alignment near my home (or near enough anyway) and will get that done this week along with the balancing. The Helwigs are another matter completely. I have lots of "large" tools, and I'm relatively handy, so it should've been an easy adjustment. I fought with the first jam nut for hours, finally put a torch on it and was able to get it to move after an inordinate amount of impact gun activity. Then I went after the adjustment nut, and couldn't get it to budge. I took it to a diesel mechanic friend of mine (he has LOTS of REALLY big tools) and had him take a look at it the day before we were leaving. Turns out the threads on the U-bolt got fouled up somehow (probably because some jack-wagon jammed the jam nut up into the adjustment nut with an unfettered impact gun and stretched the U-bolt out; that would explain why I couldn't get the jam nut off ). Anyway, I'm going to either get another set of U-bolts myself, or have him fab some for me and just let him cut them all off and replace them. We left it alone so we could make our trip the next day.

I put valve extenders on the outside duallies so I could get air in them and check the pressure using the stuff I had currently available, and one of them leaked. So at the end of the trip when I lowered the MH off the jacks, I had a flat tire. Not a big deal, I carry a pump, so I aired it back up and took off the extender.

We have an intermittent fan problem in the bathroom. I think it's the switch. I'll take a look at it some day, but my plan is to put a better vent fan in anyway, so I'm not too worried about that one.

I went ahead and deleted the safety feature that disconnects the 110V outlet in the cabover so the boy can watch his movies in transit. This MH has the Garmin head unit. It's great as a navigation head unit, but it also controls all of the audio in the coach, and it's kind of clunky at that role IMO. Again, I'm getting used to it as we go... If anyone has any pearls of wisdom or tricks to use when operating that particular piece of tech, I'd love to hear them.

SUPER glad we took the advice of many here on the forum and got 2 AC units. It was pretty hot that weekend, but we stayed nice and cool. One problem is the skylight in the living area. That thing puts off SO MUCH heat. Luckily I have a good amount of Reflectix in the garage at home and I'm already working on a "plug" for that hole.

All in all, we had a good maiden voyage and most systems worked as expected. We're still getting to know one-another, and the family is still getting used to a new process. After two or three more trips, we should have things settled into a routine of sorts and we'll have a lot more fun I'm sure.
I have the the same RV and love the layout. I have made number of upgrades/improvements that have been very beneficial.

-armstrong steering stabilizer
-helweig stabilizer bar (front)
-front and rear sumo springs
-adjusted helwig helper springs (2.5 inches)
-added 2nd A/c
- added ac/flow upgrade for front a/c
-cooling fans for refrigerator (roof mount automatic) thermostat
- Zinus mattress with topper

many other little projects. Enjoy the Camper. We have 35000K miles since new. Great fun and memories and tons of new friends. Enjoy.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:02 AM   #283

Just got back from another long trip. ~2,400 miles total with "keystone destination" being Gatlinburg, TN.

We set out early the day after Christmas from San Antonio area. First stop was Catherine's Landing in Hot Springs, AR. I typically take the brunt of the driving duties, but since we had a couple REALLY long days on this trip, DW decided to pitch in. I had her take over some time after Dallas. I rested for a couple hours and ate some snacks. When she handed it back over to me at a rest stop, there was a WICKED shimmy in the steering. I said "What the heck did you do to my camper?!" She insisted it was that way when she started. No, it wasn't. I stopped for fuel and checked the front tires, and there was obvious tread separation on the driver-side steer tire. They were OEM, so due for replacement anyway. I had her schedule me an appointment at the nearest Discount Tire (Benton) for the next morning and finished out the drive. Catherine's Landing RV Resort was VERY nice. Several of the amenities were not open being winter and all, and the park was only about 5% occupied (not surprising). Our spot was a bit off-level, but the jacks took care of that easily. We ordered Chinese food delivered for dinner, and I tried out my new Solo Stove Mesa (which was AWESOME). It was pretty cold that night, so I set up the space heater to supplement the furnace (and realized we needed some propane). Next morning it was off to Discount Tire.

Discount Tire in Benton, AR did me right and replaced both front tires, and one was covered with a certificate. But they didn't have them on-hand, so I had to wait a couple hours to get them and have them installed. No big deal, I had some work I needed to do, so I parked in an adjacent grocery store parking lot, picked up a few odds & ends, and did my work while wife and son went into Hot Springs for a little "touristing".

Got back on the road late in the afternoon, and made it to our 2nd spot, the US Space & Rocket Center RV Park by about 9:30 that night. The park is set to be decommissioned in favor of a training facility. It was okay as far as RV parks go. We were really there for the Rocket Center and to catch a couple nights' rest. The US Space & Rocket Center was REALLY cool. I love learning about the history of our space program, and seeing the technology that was developed to get us out there. In that capacity, it was definitely a very cool stop. And we've been to Johnson in Houston, Infinity in MS, Cosmosphere in KS, and probably a few others I can't remember right now. The USSRC was all about rockets, and it was COOL!! We had dinner at a little Italian place called Mangia Italian Restaurant, and it was some of the best Italian I've had. I found a Tractor Supply where I could get the propane tank filled, and then we were headed out for Gatlinburg.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-08-2024, 10:58 AM   #284

Gatlinburg, TN.

After some pretty harrowing windy roads, We arrived at Greenbrier Campground after the office closed, but they had our site assignment out and ready for us. I unhooked the Jeep while DW figured out where we were going. Got to our site and got set up. We were there for 4 nights.

The CG was VERY nice. We had the West Prong Little Pigeon River at the back of our site, and it was BEAUTIFUL. The whole area was just gorgeous. The CG had nice, clean, private shower facilities, the sites were spacious but not huge. The park was clean and well maintained, and our site was rocks (like a mix between slag and chipped pave stone, don't know what exactly it was). The site sloped toward the front a bit, but nothing the jacks couldn't handle. Our next door neighbors had their tires WELL off the ground though, so it seem some sites were more level than others.

That first night we had dinner at Crystelle Creek, and it was very good. Afterwards we took a drive in the Jeep just to see what there might be to see, and downtown was an absolute zoo. Traffic was horrible, and there were people EVERYWHERE. We didn't really have expectations for what it would be like, but this was a bit unexpected.

The next morning we had a slow start, but intended to walk the downtown area and look in the shops. We stopped by the camp office to check in, picked up some souveniers and some firewood before heading out. We had breakfast (more like lunch) at Flapjack's Pancake Cabin downtown, and it was probably one of the top 5 best breakfasts I've ever had out. We walked up and down most of the downtown area, stopped in several shops, and visited the Star Car Museum. The Star Car Museum was a bit pricey ($17 for adults, $12 for kids IIRC), but it was pretty neat. The wait for Anakeesta (ski lift ride and trail) was over 2 hours, and that was just one example, so we didn't do any of those things. We also stopped by the Greenbrier Grocery Store

We got a little lost and turned around on the way back to camp, but that allowed for some sightseeing, and a stop at an overlook that was pretty neat. We would spend the next 2 days trying to avoid the downtown area. Availed ourselves of the camp laundry facilities and showers that evening.

That night, DW found some water on the floor of the camper on her side of the bed. Of course, she discovered it just as I was getting ready for bed. So we popped up the bed to discover that the water pump head was cracked. Being the time of year and day of week, I had some trouble finding some place that would have a replacement, I gave up on a "rebuild kit" pretty quick. Found a Camping World near Knoxville that said they had water pumps in their online inventory, so the next morning we set out for that, and of course, to see what there was to see in Knoxville.

Went straight there and picked up an upgraded replacement pump and a few other odds & ends, and had lunch in historic downtown Knoxville at a brewery called Downtown Grill & Brewery. It was okay. I don't drink anymore, and the beer that DW got (one of their Ales) she said wasn't good at all. The pretzels with beer cheese sauce were really good though. My son had the "fish & chips", and he didn't like it (it was decent, but not great). DW had the Reuben, and it was pretty good. I had one of their chicken sandwiches, and if it had been "real" breaded and fried chicken, it would have been good, but it was just a couple frozen chicken strips. We went to the World's Fair Grounds (home of the 1982 World's Fair, which was the last "successful" World Fair with a whopping $57 profit), and walked around a little, then hit the road back to camp.

Our last day in Gatlinburg, we decided we wanted to see some of the Great Smokey Mountains National Park, so DW picked a trail to hike (that was actually open, lots of the park is closed to traffic from Dec to March). I had picked a spot where I thought we could drive a little "offroad" (not to be), so we did that part first and picked up our $5 parking pass for the day. In doing so, we found a trail that looked better than the one she picked, so we went for it. It was 4 miles one-way, and we were getting a late start for a hike like that. The trail was the Ramsey Cascades trail. We made it a little more than half way before DW's knees gave out, and we were butting up against getting back to the Jeep after dark. So my son and I hiked on a bit while DW rested and found a really cool log bridge before turning back. I picked up some pizza from Solorzano's Pizzeria & Bistro, and it was REALLY good!

We had campfires almost every night there, and feel like we got a decent feel for the area, so goals accomplished. And being out of shape enough to not be able to complete an 8-mile hike (something easily done not that long ago) motivated us to improve.

Next day, off to Biloxi, MS so I got up early and got us on the road for a LONG drive.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-08-2024, 01:14 PM   #285

Biloxi, MS

Two nights in Biloxi, and our goal was to see the beach and learn a bit about the place while getting some rest from the road. We stayed at Gulf Beach RV Resort. It was a fairly nice park, but very small. Sites were VERY tight. I was parked on the very edge of our pad, and my slides were at the opposite edge of the site, and the rear slide actually extended OVER our utility pole.

We arrived late, and the office had our site assignment noted on the front door glass with soap pen. Not high tech, but effective. We had dinner at Shaggy's Biloxi Beach location, and it was fantastic. Peel & eat shrimp for app, and it was cooked perfectly, DW had their cocktail of the day and said it was the best bar drink she's ever had. I had the stuffed flounder, son had the pork tacos, and DW had the Snapper Elote. Empty plates all around, and every dish was excellent.

Next day was exploring. We had breakfast at the Waffle House adjacent to the RV park, and it was fantastic. We noted at least 8 Waffle House restaurants in Biloxi alone, and it's not that big a town. Plus there were others later in our exploring in Gulf Port; we thought that was a bit weird to have SO many of them all bunched up. We found the beach, saw the lighthouse, walked through the visitor's center (very well done, and beautiful building). We went to Shark Head's for a "souvenir experience", and picked up some mementos. Dogs aren't welcome on most of the Biloxi Beaches, so we went back to the camper and picked up our Corgi and headed over the bridge to Ocean Springs so he could get some exercise on Ocean Springs Beach. That was a neat area for sure, and fit the bill for him perfectly. Refilled our drinking water at the Winn Dixie on our way back to the camper.

That night for dinner, we ate at The Reef, and again, it was just okay. It was probably the worst of our dinners on this vacation. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't that great either. There didn't seem to be much depth of flavor, and all the food seemed REALLY heavy. We had the Boudreaux Bread for appetizer, and it was fantastic, but turns out our main courses were almost the same as that yummy dip. DW had the Creole Coastal Pasta, which was the exact same sauce as the app, and I had the Swamp Island Shrimp & Grits, which was a very similar sauce, and VERY heavy. The sauce was more like gravy than sauce. Son had cheese quesadillas, and said they were amazing. His fries actually made a great base for the sauces that came on our entrees.

We did not enter any of the casinos, but they were there if that's your thing. Typically DW would want to go in them, but she didn't seem interested this trip for some reason.

I got up early and got some Waffle House breakfast biscuits to go, and most of that was really good. My son's waffle had something in it that didn't belong, so it got tossed. And 600 plus miles later, we were home.

Overall, the camper did a great job. I'm thankful that I "over-prepare". Those days spent wringing my hands in anticipation, packing extra tools, etc all have a way of paying off.

I learned that when I'm not doing ALL the driving, we can go A LOT further per day. Although there was some serious whining coming from the driver's seat when she pulled the Houston leg on the way home, and it really wasn't even bad.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-08-2024, 01:24 PM   #286
Site Team

I really enjoyed your camping travel log. I spent a year in Biloxi going to Electronics and ATC Radar maintenance school courtesy of USAF. That was a beautiful area back in 1961. I have passed thru but never stopped since!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 01:47 PM   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I really enjoyed your camping travel log. I spent a year in Biloxi going to Electronics and ATC Radar maintenance school courtesy of USAF. That was a beautiful area back in 1961. I have passed thru but never stopped since!
It looks now like it has potential, or once was greater than it is in its current state. You can tell the area gets rocked with hurricanes, and there's plenty of history about them around the area. But it doesn't look as though much effort has been expended to "rebuild".

Hurricane Harvey destroyed a lot of my favorite places along the Texas coast, but most has since been re-built, and built better.

Biloxi just looks a little run down these days IMO. Lots of derelict and empty properties, and many of them for sale and look to have been on the market for a while. You can also tell it's VERY much a summer place, and we were DEFINITELY there in the "off-season".

There are so many better places along the coast that this would not be my first choice as a destination. Unless I wanted to just go fishing. There looks to be pretty easy access to some good looking fishing grounds not far off the coast, or even back in the bays to the North. And the beaches were nice and well-maintained, albeit a bit small for my taste. I prefer taking a drive down the Padre Island National Seashore, past where most vehicles can go or drivers are willing to chance it. You can find a spot out there and count on one hand the number of other people you'll see all day.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-08-2024, 04:39 PM   #288

I also changed my driving habits some as they relate to tow/haul. I discovered that my rig gets significantly better fuel economy WITHOUT it on. So I began driving it "bare" (no toad) with tow/haul disengaged. This trip I towed the Jeep, and almost exclusively had it turned off.

I found that I was managing the throttle to limit shifting anyway, but without tow/haul on, I could get better fuel economy with little change to my driving habits, and limit transmission shifting.

The only time I used it was when I needed engine braking, like going down a steep incline, or when I was in a somewhat "urban" environment and was stopping often. The engine braking is the best thing about tow/haul.

Turns out that if I set the cruise at 65 mph (per GPS), I'd only have to goose the throttle a little at the beginning of a moderate incline to get one gear down shift and be able to pull the grade and maintain speed. If I let the computer drive, it would drop a bunch of speed, drop 2 gears and scream all the way up the grade. This change made operation nice and smooth, and the drive was much more relaxing, and less noisy, and more efficient with less gear shifting.

This is somewhat interesting to me since I've always been an advocate of using it all the time, towing or not. Turns out it works better for me if I use it when I need to and don't when I don't.

See? Contrary to DW's opinion, I AM capable of change!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-09-2024, 07:48 AM   #289
Site Team

That's a really nice writeup of your trip. Brought back some memories from '82 when we took a motorcycle ride down the Blue Ridge on the way to the Knoxville World's Fair.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote