Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #161

I finally wired up the Trik-l-start last night and all is running smoothly. I forgot to put a volt meter on it, but the indicator lights are operating as expected.

I couldn't find a place to mount it that I was happy with, so I grabbed some scrap aluminum angle stock I had and cut a short piece. Then I screwed the Trik-l-start box to the bracket using the provided screws, then screwed the bracket where you see in the pics.

Wiring was straight forward. Yellow to the house side, blue to the chassis side, and a ground. I did have to use my own ring terminal for the ground because the existing ground I used had a larger screw; the one that came with the kit was too small.
Attached Thumbnails
trik1.jpg   trik2.jpg   trik3.jpg  

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #162

I forgot ... I also put Lithium batteries in the electronic door lock, and lubed it. It was fritzing out a little, and since we're not in the habit of carrying the keys with us anymore (which I should do something about), I figured I better have that thing working right!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 06-17-2019, 07:46 AM   #163

Boondocked on the beach last weekend. Wind was strong, so it made a mess out of everything. Got it mostly cleaned up and rinsed off last night and will finish up today.

I made an important discovery about that mystery alarm beeping I've been chasing. We were moving vehicles around in the driveway and I heard it. So I set the parking brake and it immediately stopped. So my theory about it being a "safety" feature was correct.

We ran out of fresh water Sunday morning while DW was cleaning up to come home! Whew!! Nothing like running RIGHT on the margin!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #164

I ordered and installed these Sumo Springs last night:

https://www.supersprings.com/shop/ssf-106-47/

Also installed this Hellwig Sway Bar:

https://www.hellwigproducts.com/prod...artnumber=7718

Ordered both from Amazon.

Sumos went on without a hitch. Very easy installation and only took about 10 minutes.

The Hellwig was a different story. The Hellwig is MUCH bigger than the OEM bar (see pic). Getting the OEM bar out was easy enough, but there was definitely some wrestling with the new bar since it's so much heavier.

I was literally tightening down the last bolt when I felt something funky in the wrench. I stripped the hole and knew it immediately when it happened. After 10-15 minutes of denial, I faced the reality and put my tools away for the evening. I picked up the tools necessary for the fix today and will finish it up tonight.

For reference, it was the front-most bolt on the bracket on the passenger side. The larger bolts are 18mm heads, and the smaller ones are 15mm; this was the 15mm bolt on the passenger side.

I also finished installing all my tow gear for my Jeep Grand Cherokee for dinghy duty. Took me 3 days (just working in the evenings) to get it all done, but it's done and done right, and I KNOW it's done right.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to finish installation of the Hellwig and do a test run without the JGC, then do another test run with it and see how it all plays out.
Attached Thumbnails
Sway Bar.jpg  

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

Sumos went on without a hitch. Very easy installation and only took about 10 minutes.

The Hellwig was a different story. The Hellwig is MUCH bigger than the OEM bar (see pic). Getting the OEM bar out was easy enough, but there was definitely some wrestling with the new bar since it's so much heavier.

I was literally tightening down the last bolt when I felt something funky in the wrench. I stripped the hole and knew it immediately when it happened. After 10-15 minutes of denial, I faced the reality and put my tools away for the evening. I picked up the tools necessary for the fix today and will finish it up tonight.

For reference, it was the front-most bolt on the bracket on the passenger side. The larger bolts are 18mm heads, and the smaller ones are 15mm; this was the 15mm bolt on the passenger side.

I also finished installing all my tow gear for my Jeep Grand Cherokee for dinghy duty. Took me 3 days (just working in the evenings) to get it all done, but it's done and done right, and I KNOW it's done right.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to finish installation of the Hellwigee and do a test run without the JGC, then do another test run with it and see how it all plays out.

Don’t feel special, I stripped the exact same bolt hole when I installed my Hellwig. I simply over drilled the hole and tapped it for the next size bolt and all is well !! The frame metal is softer than I realized .... or I got over zealous, lol. Easy fix, just a pain in the butt. And you are right, that thing is heavy and really fun to handle by one’s self when working in a limited space on your back.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #166

I stripped that bolt too. I enlarged the hole and fish-wired a new bolt down through the frame from the inside.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:04 AM   #167

Quote:

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to finish installation of the Hellwig and do a test run without the JGC, then do another test run with it and see how it all plays out.

Please give us a follow up on the Sumo Springs with your evaluation, and let us know if they are worth the time and expense. Thanks !!
Old 07-17-2019, 08:32 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
Don’t feel special, I stripped the exact same bolt hole when I installed my Hellwig. I simply over drilled the hole and tapped it for the next size bolt and all is well !! The frame metal is softer than I realized .... or I got over zealous, lol. Easy fix, just a pain in the butt. And you are right, that thing is heavy and really fun to handle by one’s self when working in a limited space on your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
I stripped that bolt too. I enlarged the hole and fish-wired a new bolt down through the frame from the inside.
Thanks guys! It's very comforting to know I'm not alone in that!!

I was also surprised at how soft that frame metal was! And a little disappointed they used a tapered "self-tapping" bolt there that is only held in by 2, maybe 3 threads!

Last night I went to install a rivnut I had laying around, but quickly found out I didn't have the "right stuff" for that.

So I put some JB weld on in hopes that it would be enough for me to crush the nut with the bolt I had. Then remembered I had something else that might work for that install. It didn't, and I ruined my JB weld (hadn't set yet).

So today I'm headed to my local Fastenal to purchase the correct rivnut, along with a bolt. [sigh]

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
Please give us a follow up on the Sumo Springs with your evaluation, and let us know if they are worth the time and expense. Thanks !!
Will do!

Although I won't be able to tell if the Sumo Springs did more good or the Hellwig sway bar. Since I'm putting them both on at once...

Hopefully will have a test drive tonight...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #170
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

That doesn't sound good... I am planning on sliding under mine and install the front one today... Should be interesting. I also have the Reflex to put on too, and the instructions say to do the sway bar first...

I also have the rear Hellwig, which is last on the to-do list...

and.... it's going to be 94 today.... oh joy...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:50 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
That doesn't sound good... I am planning on sliding under mine and install the front one today... Should be interesting. I also have the Reflex to put on too, and the instructions say to do the sway bar first...

I also have the rear Hellwig, which is last on the to-do list...

and.... it's going to be 94 today.... oh joy...
Just be careful with those smaller bolts. It seems they strip easily...

As for putting the sway bar on first, I don't know about that. In my mind's eye, it would be easier to access what you need without a sway bar there at all. What I would do is take OEM sway bar off, take OEM steering dampener off, install Reflex, install sway bar.

But again, it's not sitting right in front of my face, so I don't know if that's totally right.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #172
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Just be careful with those smaller bolts. It seems they strip easily...

As for putting the sway bar on first, I don't know about that. In my mind's eye, it would be easier to access what you need without a sway bar there at all. What I would do is take OEM sway bar off, take OEM steering dampener off, install Reflex, install sway bar.

But again, it's not sitting right in front of my face, so I don't know if that's totally right.
I'm thinking they said to do it last might be because of the wrestling around with the sway bar, and not to hit the Reflex. I'll see when I'm under there.

Another question, being that you did it already, any benefit to maybe supporting the center of the sway bar on a floor jack, to hold up some of the weight, while I attach the ends? Does that sound like it might work to save some struggling?
Old 07-17-2019, 09:06 AM   #173

Quote:
I'm thinking they said to do it last might be because of the wrestling around with the sway bar, and not to hit the Reflex. I'll see when I'm under there.

Another question, being that you did it already, any benefit to maybe supporting the center of the sway bar on a floor jack, to hold up some of the weight, while I attach the ends? Does that sound like it might work to save some struggling?
Perhaps. The thought crossed my mind while I was down there. But I decided it would be too much trouble to dig out the floor jack and just sucked it up.

One thing that made it easier that wasn't in the instructions (that I recall anyway) was to put the bolts through the end links first. Then you can sort of let the bar rest while you get the brackets ready. Once I had one of the bolts in the bracket, and threaded into the frame, I snugged it up with my fingers, and that's enough for the bar to rest basically in place while you get the rest of the brackets and bolts ready.

I know what you mean about the heat. It's been in the upper 90s here every afternoon, and that concrete gets hot. Luckily most of this particular work area is shaded most of the time for me. But I've still completely sweated out a shirt every day. Finally got some Gatorade and Propel yesterday and today I feel more or less normal again!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-17-2019, 09:32 PM   #174
Lost in the Woods

Well, I had my fun today. I swear my mother must have dropped me on my head too many times. It was a sunny 94 degrees and I have an asphalt driveway (need I say more??)

Anyway, I went for the trifecta: front Hellwig sway bar, Roadmaster Reflex steering damper and rear Hellwig sway bar.

Front sway bar was a piece of cake (once I came back from the store with a new 18mm socket, since I cracked the one I had and threw it away and didn't replace it). Thanks to you guys for the warning about that smaller bolt. It actually wasn't that tight to start with and when I put it back in, I was gentle and gave it a coating of blue locktite, as a precaution.

Reflex was a little bit more of an issue, but still bolted right in. Got to be careful near that lower radiator hose....

Now, the rear sway bar, it initially looked like a piece of cake, until I had to remove the front supports. Somehow Hellwig didn't mention that the top bolt that holds the sway bar arm can be blocked by the helper springs. I had to completely unload the front U-bolt for the helper spring to get access to the frame bolt when the helper spring rose up. Plus, the threaded U-bolt was so long, a deep well socket couldn't reach and had to be unbolted manually (22 mm wrench). This was a MAJOR pain in the butt.

Then, the slide underneath was a lot deeper than going under the front and too low to use a creeper. Also, this new rear sway bar is a BIG, HEAVY chunk of metal, and trying to hold it up in that awkward position to bolt it in really sucked!!

Did I mention it was a sunny 94 degrees on a asphalt driveway??? I thought retirement was suppose to be fun!! HA....

So, the whole front took a little over an hour for both parts, the rear was at least 3 hours.... remind me never to do a rear sway bar again!
Old 07-18-2019, 07:38 AM   #175

So I finished my install last night. It's AMAZING what having the right tools can do!!

It literally took me longer to change clothes than to set the rivnut and finish the installation.

Anyway, a recap and initial review is in order.

I decided to install Sumo springs and a Hellwig sway bar in the front of my motorhome in an effort to get a handle on some of the excessive body roll I experience in this thing.

Installation would have been SUPER easy except I stripped out the rear-most self-tapping bolt on the passenger side sway bar bracket. A common occurrence it seems. After monkeying around with various attempts at solving that problem, I finally broke down and went to Fastenal and purchased the correct rivnut and bolts and washers. After that, install was easy again.

First test-loop relatively unloaded yielded VERY positive results immediately. My street comes off a larger rural road and there is a significant dip in that transition. This dip often caused me some discomfort because of all the body roll. It felt like I was going to roll right over, especially coming in. A major grade change inside a turn has always been tough in this rig; think going in and out of fuel stations and other driveways. Going out, I could tell immediately there was an improvement! Then I got to the first turn in my test loop and made the turn nice, smooth and even. The next turn was across a dip and onto a major road; again, MUCH better manners through that turn! Things are looking good so far! A few curvy roads, some stiff breeze, all behaving well. Then the ultimate test on this loop was turning back onto my street. The turn was flat, smooth and easily controlled! YAY!! Success!!

At this point, I will say it was well worth it to install these items. I cannot say which was more responsible for the improvements between the Sumos and the Hellwig since I did them both at the same time. I will know more after our next trip, but still won't be able to isolate. Based on other's experiences, I would say the Hellwig is likely responsible for most of the improvement, but that's just conjecture.

In other news, I finally got to test my Grand Cherokee as a dinghy! I have had the parts installed for a few weeks now, but never had a chance to actually hook it all up and pull it around.

It was a totally undramatic event, and that's good. Super smooth tow, quick and easy hookup. It towed VERY well on my test loop (2nd lap after testing the front-end improvements). Based solely on that short loop, it tows better than my old Wrangler, even though it weighs quite a bit more.

The only "hiccup" on the test tow was my brake setting. I started with it set at the default of 5. Going around my first turn, the brakes applied so hard it felt like I had pulled out the emergency disconnect! I stopped, checked everything out, and turned it down to 4 and completed my test loop with no more drama.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-18-2019, 07:51 AM   #176
Lost in the Woods

That body roll is really an issue, and the problem I had with it was that it was inconsistent. Depending on turning speed, wind, road slope, etc. it never reacted the same way. I have nerves of steel, and not knowing how the box was going to move really bothered me.

There were a few times just changing lanes or when a 18 wheeler came by, that there was a good roll. Even wifey grabbed the armrest a few times, as the roll was unexpected.

I know you did the Sumos, hopefully they helped. But just putting the upgraded Hellwigs made a hell of a difference in calming down the roll.

Plus, the rig wasn't loaded like we normally go out, so I expect it to calm down even more with a full load of water, fuel, bodies, clothes, poochie and a full refrige. We're going out on a trip next week, so that will be the real test.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #177

Quote:
That body roll is really an issue, and the problem I had with it was that it was inconsistent. Depending on turning speed, wind, road slope, etc. it never reacted the same way. I have nerves of steel, and not knowing how the box was going to move really bothered me.

There were a few times just changing lanes or when a 18 wheeler came by, that there was a good roll. Even wifey grabbed the armrest a few times, as the roll was unexpected.

I know you did the Sumos, hopefully they helped. But just putting the upgraded Hellwigs made a hell of a difference in calming down the roll.

Plus, the rig wasn't loaded like we normally go out, so I expect it to calm down even more with a full load of water, fuel, bodies, clothes, poochie and a full refrige. We're going out on a trip next week, so that will be the real test.
I never really looked at it that way, but I think you're right about the unpredictability. I would watch for grade changes in turns (that was my biggest issue) but sometimes even the slightest change would result in a jilting "ride" to one side or the other.

All that is gone now, and I very much look forward to seeing how she behaves on the highway. I'll get the chance this weekend.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-30-2019, 02:12 PM   #178

I just read this entire thread... WOW!!!
Camper_bob and all the others, I am beyond IMPRESSED and am now wondering how I can possibly give my;
2019 Greyhawk 29mv (w/8cf refrig, pantry (with roll out drawers ) and recliners)
the proper care and service it needs based on all the mods and upkeep 'tricks' I've read here.
I'm not mechanically gifted so I foresee a major blow to my wallet to get a few of these mods installed. So for my amazing feats of mods is the installation of the pantry roll out shelves.
However, I'll definitely need the wandering and weaving of the rig resolved as many of you have. I'll just have to find someone to do it. $$$.
I'll should be able to do the great idea of the heat and sound muffling of the dog house and cab floors but beyond that... oh my.

THANKS ALL for the experienced insights!!

Bill
Sacramento, CA
billgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #179

Brought the rig home over the weekend and tried to knock out some items on the maintenance/mod list.

-Exercised generator 1 hr under load.
-Changed generator oil (208 hrs on the clock).
-Sprayed some "Corrosion X" on some rusty spots (this will continue to be a process).
-Lubed the entry door.
-Treated all slide seals.
-Lubed the Schwinteks on the rear slide (works a lot better now, not that I was having problems, but you can hear the difference in the motors from up front where the switch is).
-Installed accumulator tank and "silencing kit" on the water pump. Can barely hear when WP kicks on now, and only then if you're listening for it.
-Insulated under the bed platform using a combination of a couple things I had left over from insulating the cab area.
-Changed out the heat lamp bulbs in the reading lights in the bedroom for cooler-running LEDs.

I have quite a list to get done ahead of a long vacation in a few weeks, so it was nice to get some items crossed off ahead of time...

Put it back in storage yesterday afternoon.

Side note: I forgot to pack up the brake for the Jeep when my son and I went to pick up the rig from storage. I thought "no big deal, we're not going that far". Noticed the SIGNIFICANT difference in stopping at the first traffic light. Pretty much not going to do that again. Despite the interface in the cab giving me little indication the brake was working that hard before, it's obvious it was doing more than I thought!! Don't leave home without it!! Probably going to store it in the rig from now on...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #180

Quote:
Brought the rig home over the weekend and tried to knock out some items on the maintenance/mod list.

-Exercised generator 1 hr under load.
-Changed generator oil (208 hrs on the clock).
-Sprayed some "Corrosion X" on some rusty spots (this will continue to be a process).
-Lubed the entry door.
-Treated all slide seals.
-Lubed the Schwinteks on the rear slide (works a lot better now, not that I was having problems, but you can hear the difference in the motors from up front where the switch is).
-Installed accumulator tank and "silencing kit" on the water pump. Can barely hear when WP kicks on now, and only then if you're listening for it.
-Insulated under the bed platform using a combination of a couple things I had left over from insulating the cab area.
-Changed out the heat lamp bulbs in the reading lights in the bedroom for cooler-running LEDs.

I have quite a list to get done ahead of a long vacation in a few weeks, so it was nice to get some items crossed off ahead of time...

Put it back in storage yesterday afternoon.

Side note: I forgot to pack up the brake for the Jeep when my son and I went to pick up the rig from storage. I thought "no big deal, we're not going that far". Noticed the SIGNIFICANT difference in stopping at the first traffic light. Pretty much not going to do that again. Despite the interface in the cab giving me little indication the brake was working that hard before, it's obvious it was doing more than I thought!! Don't leave home without it!! Probably going to store it in the rig from now on...

What make brake are you using for your Jeep? I use a Blue Ox Patriot, and it seems to work well.