Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #1

New Greyhawk 29MV!

Well, I finally got a pic, so I figured I would officially "announce" the new rig. A few weeks ago, we traded in the Jayflight 28BHBE on a Greyhawk 29MV!

The pic is my son and I in front of the new rig, all loaded out for the maiden voyage. Our "Toad" on this trip was our 1994 Jeep Wrangler (YJ), and it did just fine. Except for one hiccup at the beginning of the voyage; I didn't actually have it in neutral because I didn't verify it was so before we took off. I stopped a few miles down the road and fixed it. I didn't have a chance to wire in the lights before we left, so I used my set of magnetic ones. On the way home the wire pulled out and the plug ripped off. It's okay, I'll just hard-wire it like I had planned. Last weekend, I traded in my Ram 2500 on a Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 (which I absolutely LOVE; shhh, don't tell my wife!) and I'll be amassing the parts and knowledge I need to set it up to be our primary toad in the future. The YJ is great and all, but with no AC and 100+ degree weather for a majority of our traveling window, it's not so much fun; the GC will be a much nicer toad for us, and it has a low-range 4-wd transfer case, so I can still get dirty if I want to.

The MH did just fine except for a few hiccups there too. It needs an alignment ... BAD. The tires need to be balanced, and the Helwig helpers on the rear need to be adjusted. Once I get those few issues straightened out, I'm sure it will drive A LOT better. I finally found a place that can do the alignment near my home (or near enough anyway) and will get that done this week along with the balancing. The Helwigs are another matter completely. I have lots of "large" tools, and I'm relatively handy, so it should've been an easy adjustment. I fought with the first jam nut for hours, finally put a torch on it and was able to get it to move after an inordinate amount of impact gun activity. Then I went after the adjustment nut, and couldn't get it to budge. I took it to a diesel mechanic friend of mine (he has LOTS of REALLY big tools) and had him take a look at it the day before we were leaving. Turns out the threads on the U-bolt got fouled up somehow (probably because some jack-wagon jammed the jam nut up into the adjustment nut with an unfettered impact gun and stretched the U-bolt out; that would explain why I couldn't get the jam nut off ). Anyway, I'm going to either get another set of U-bolts myself, or have him fab some for me and just let him cut them all off and replace them. We left it alone so we could make our trip the next day.

I put valve extenders on the outside duallies so I could get air in them and check the pressure using the stuff I had currently available, and one of them leaked. So at the end of the trip when I lowered the MH off the jacks, I had a flat tire. Not a big deal, I carry a pump, so I aired it back up and took off the extender.

We have an intermittent fan problem in the bathroom. I think it's the switch. I'll take a look at it some day, but my plan is to put a better vent fan in anyway, so I'm not too worried about that one.

I went ahead and deleted the safety feature that disconnects the 110V outlet in the cabover so the boy can watch his movies in transit. This MH has the Garmin head unit. It's great as a navigation head unit, but it also controls all of the audio in the coach, and it's kind of clunky at that role IMO. Again, I'm getting used to it as we go... If anyone has any pearls of wisdom or tricks to use when operating that particular piece of tech, I'd love to hear them.

SUPER glad we took the advice of many here on the forum and got 2 AC units. It was pretty hot that weekend, but we stayed nice and cool. One problem is the skylight in the living area. That thing puts off SO MUCH heat. Luckily I have a good amount of Reflectix in the garage at home and I'm already working on a "plug" for that hole.

All in all, we had a good maiden voyage and most systems worked as expected. We're still getting to know one-another, and the family is still getting used to a new process. After two or three more trips, we should have things settled into a routine of sorts and we'll have a lot more fun I'm sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Greyhawk 29MV.jpg  

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE (Sold)
-2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73 (Sold)
-Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503) (For Sale)
-Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:59 PM   #2

A couple other little issues:

1) The mirrors shake something fierce. I haven't really looked at them yet, but it's on my list. They're still functional, but they shake more than I think they should.

2) The Styrofoam around the water heater is rubbing on something and squeaks incessantly! Other than that, the MH is virtually dead quiet other than wind and road noise.

I'll be taking a look at these issues this weekend. Hopefully I can get them sorted out in short order.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Well, I finally got a pic, so I figured I would officially "announce" the new rig. A few weeks ago, we traded in the Jayflight 28BHBE on a Greyhawk 29MV!

The pic is my son and I in front of the new rig, all loaded out for the maiden voyage. Our "Toad" on this trip was our 1994 Jeep Wrangler (YJ), and it did just fine. Except for one hiccup at the beginning of the voyage; I didn't actually have it in neutral because I didn't verify it was so before we took off. I stopped a few miles down the road and fixed it. I didn't have a chance to wire in the lights before we left, so I used my set of magnetic ones. On the way home the wire pulled out and the plug ripped off. It's okay, I'll just hard-wire it like I had planned. Last weekend, I traded in my Ram 2500 on a Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 (which I absolutely LOVE; shhh, don't tell my wife!) and I'll be amassing the parts and knowledge I need to set it up to be our primary toad in the future. The YJ is great and all, but with no AC and 100+ degree weather for a majority of our traveling window, it's not so much fun; the GC will be a much nicer toad for us, and it has a low-range 4-wd transfer case, so I can still get dirty if I want to.

The MH did just fine except for a few hiccups there too. It needs an alignment ... BAD. The tires need to be balanced, and the Helwig helpers on the rear need to be adjusted. Once I get those few issues straightened out, I'm sure it will drive A LOT better. I finally found a place that can do the alignment near my home (or near enough anyway) and will get that done this week along with the balancing. The Helwigs are another matter completely. I have lots of "large" tools, and I'm relatively handy, so it should've been an easy adjustment. I fought with the first jam nut for hours, finally put a torch on it and was able to get it to move after an inordinate amount of impact gun activity. Then I went after the adjustment nut, and couldn't get it to budge. I took it to a diesel mechanic friend of mine (he has LOTS of REALLY big tools) and had him take a look at it the day before we were leaving. Turns out the threads on the U-bolt got fouled up somehow (probably because some jack-wagon jammed the jam nut up into the adjustment nut with an unfettered impact gun and stretched the U-bolt out; that would explain why I couldn't get the jam nut off ). Anyway, I'm going to either get another set of U-bolts myself, or have him fab some for me and just let him cut them all off and replace them. We left it alone so we could make our trip the next day.

I put valve extenders on the outside duallies so I could get air in them and check the pressure using the stuff I had currently available, and one of them leaked. So at the end of the trip when I lowered the MH off the jacks, I had a flat tire. Not a big deal, I carry a pump, so I aired it back up and took off the extender.

We have an intermittent fan problem in the bathroom. I think it's the switch. I'll take a look at it some day, but my plan is to put a better vent fan in anyway, so I'm not too worried about that one.

I went ahead and deleted the safety feature that disconnects the 110V outlet in the cabover so the boy can watch his movies in transit. This MH has the Garmin head unit. It's great as a navigation head unit, but it also controls all of the audio in the coach, and it's kind of clunky at that role IMO. Again, I'm getting used to it as we go... If anyone has any pearls of wisdom or tricks to use when operating that particular piece of tech, I'd love to hear them.

SUPER glad we took the advice of many here on the forum and got 2 AC units. It was pretty hot that weekend, but we stayed nice and cool. One problem is the skylight in the living area. That thing puts off SO MUCH heat. Luckily I have a good amount of Reflectix in the garage at home and I'm already working on a "plug" for that hole.

All in all, we had a good maiden voyage and most systems worked as expected. We're still getting to know one-another, and the family is still getting used to a new process. After two or three more trips, we should have things settled into a routine of sorts and we'll have a lot more fun I'm sure.

Very nice ... glad you’re happy with your purchase. I have a 2017 GreyHawk 29 W and I love mine !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #4

You picked my favorite Greyhawk floorplan...

Sounds like your off to a great start! Happy Travels and many safe miles in your new 29MV!!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:45 PM   #5

Congratulations!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:55 PM   #6

Congrats on the new unit Bob. Being knowledgeable and handy is invaluable with these units.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:23 PM   #7

Congratulations from a fellow owner.
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:28 AM   #8

Congratulations on the Greyhawk!
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:48 AM   #9

Thanks guys!

We're pretty excited. We made a lot of great memories in the TT, so hopefully we'll ramp that up some with the ease and convenience of the MH.

Being handy is certainly high on my list of traits, and I totally agree that you must be at least somewhat handy (or at a minimum, willing to learn) to successfully own just about any kind of camper. Either that or have DEEP pockets and connections to good technicians. My pockets are pretty shallow, so I turn my own wrenches on just about everything. Even when I have lots of money some day, I'll still do as much as I can myself just because I like it!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-24-2018, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
A couple other little issues:

1) The mirrors shake something fierce. I haven't really looked at them yet, but it's on my list. They're still functional, but they shake more than I think they should.
The mirrors take a hex key to loosen / tighten in order to adjust them. I wonder if your mirrors simply need to be tightened down?

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote