Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #21

Hey, Bob. Another Georgian here (Acworth).

I ordered a pair of Pacific Dualies (Part #18135) 135º Valve Stem Extensions off of Amazon. They work great for my outer tire stems and my TireMinder TPMS caps. Also makes pressure checks/fills a breeze.

Welcome to the dark side!
Old 08-15-2018, 06:50 PM   #22

JDP, I debated going that route as well, but I read a few mixed reviews so I went with the TPMS with the through valves. I hope both of our solutions work! Kinda surprised that they don't do the TPMS standard as on cars nowadays, but with the valve issue out of the gate i wanted to put a system in right away. Like that Greyhawk!
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #23

Question

I have a surge protector to my elec hookup and a pressure regulator for my water hookup. Someone told me I also need a surge protector for my cable hookup. I read a little on the topic and seems some believe they are not necessary and will actually weaken the signal. I could use some expert advice.
Thanks- Bob
Woundtight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundtight View Post
I have a surge protector to my elec hookup and a pressure regulator for my water hookup. Someone told me I also need a surge protector for my cable hookup. I read a little on the topic and seems some believe they are not necessary and will actually weaken the signal. I could use some expert advice.
Thanks- Bob
Bob...I’ve never heard of such? I guess if lightning struck it could travel through but like I said I’ve never heard of that problem.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #25

It will add a few dB of loss, but probably not enough to interfere. Each campsite will be different though. It's probably an ok thing to have on and should be pretty cheap.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #26

Have you found the water filter in your 31FS? I dont see one in any obvious places on my rig.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:46 PM   #27

My water filter is located right under the sink, behind a panel and you can barely see it, and it looks to be a pain to get to. The gent who was introducing me to the RV suggested that I take a jigsaw and cut the opening out a little bit more. It's one of the things I eventually plan to do. BTW, I also bought a filter that goes between the hose and the RV. In terms of the filter for the cable, would be good to have if there's bad weather, I would think.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:02 PM   #28

Thanks, I'll have to get in there and look. Something tells me they probably didn't bother putting a filter in. Boom, $3 a unit saved.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:07 PM   #29

Here's the one I bought for the outside hookup. Walmart for a reference, but they appear to be available everywhere.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Wat...-Hose/14504321
Old 08-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #30

Funny. Didn't know there were so many GA people here. In Alpharetta myself.

For the tire pressure;
remove the additional valve stem cap on the inflation that has the spring loaded top. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C68XW6Z...d_i=B07C68XW6Z
I had 20lbs of pressure in one back tire due to it leaking. Service shop said he sees problems with the valve extensions leaking all the time. I have a TPMS on all the rear tires to always give me a reading on pressure/temp now. Take the hub cap off (small crowbar or screwdriver works) or you'll cut your fingers all up on the hub cap openings trying to get in there. The hub caps go on and off pretty easy, but you may want a rubber mallet to put them back on so you don't dent it. Once they are off its much easier to access the valves. I bought and tried several different valve extensions and couldn't get any that fit well. A shop can probably do better than what I tried DYI. Eventually I found just taking off the hub cap and accessing directly worked well enough.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #31

Thanks! Funny, but I still have my old rubber mallet that I used to use on my '70 Chevelle back in my teens. Don't even want to admit how old that thing is!
Old 08-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #32

My filter is also under the sink. It was on bypass when I purchased the unit.

While we're in the same area, check out the bypass valves for the water heater for when you go to winterize. The valves are to the far right under the sink. Its hard to get to unless you unscrew the vent in front of the water heater (you can see the big white box through the vent). There's 3 there; one to cut off 'in' to water heater, one 'out' of the water heater and one for the bypass of the water heater. Normal would be open in/out and closed bypass. Winterize would be close in/out and open bypass. Don't forget to bypass the water filter (or at least remove the filter) when you go to winterize as well.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:24 PM   #33

Agree about the crow bar and a pita removing the wheel simulator.

Bought this after trying to get the tpms on and struggling. Haven't tried it out yet.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._AC_SY400_.jpg
Old 08-17-2018, 06:27 PM   #34

I snapped a pic of the valves under the sink when we were going thru the RV. Need to remove the two screws to access the panel.
Attached Thumbnails
bypasses.jpg  
Old 08-17-2018, 06:57 PM   #35

30 mile south of Atlanta
Old 08-23-2018, 03:29 PM   #36

Tire question

Absolutely no way to get rear tire pressure reading for my 2018 Grayhawk without removing the hubcap- not sure if that’s what it’s called. My question is is it one piece or do the caps come off the lug nuts separately before the main part is removed? My plan is to get extensions but I would like to check the pressure first. Anyone installed extensions themselves or is it a pro job? Recommendations for the type or brand of extensions would be appreciated as well.
Bob
Woundtight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #37

I installed some inexpensive extensions on our first motorhome and had one leak. Not fun.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #38

We just go to Discount Tire they check for free! Welcome
Attached Thumbnails
xxxcamper.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:29 PM   #39

Bob, I had to take the RV to NIRVC in Lawrenceville GA to get them to repair my valve under warranty. As they had everything off, I just told them to install the TPSM as it caused me enough grief (busted my Apple watch in my pocket). It would definitely be cheaper to install yourself, though. I bought the TST unit with the valve thru. Checked three different websites rating the systems and it was highly rated across the board. I was leery of extensions as I read pros and cons on them. I can access the vales thru the wheel covers, but you can always just pop them off if needed. Just have your rubber mallet handy to put it back on

Edit: just realized I missed your question. I think the cover is one unit. I checked Amazon and it looks like a single piece. BTW, with the valve thru on the TPSM units I don't need extensions. I went with the system for piece of mind.

Hope that helps a bit.

Bob
Old 08-23-2018, 07:02 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
Bob, I had to take the RV to NIRVC in Lawrenceville GA to get them to repair my valve under warranty. As they had everything off, I just told them to install the TPSM as it caused me enough grief (busted my Apple watch in my pocket). It would definitely be cheaper to install yourself, though. I bought the TST unit with the valve thru. Checked three different websites rating the systems and it was highly rated across the board. I was leery of extensions as I read pros and cons on them. I can access the vales thru the wheel covers, but you can always just pop them off if needed. Just have your rubber mallet handy to put it back on

Edit: just realized I missed your question. I think the cover is one unit. I checked Amazon and it looks like a single piece. BTW, with the valve thru on the TPSM units I don't need extensions. I went with the system for piece of mind.

Hope that helps a bit.

Bob
GaBob what kind of feeling did you get from their service dept. and do you know if they do warranty work for Jayco. I see they are a Thor dealer.