Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2018, 04:42 PM   #1

New Guy

I hope I’m posting this in the right place. My wife and just retired and bought a 2018 Grayhawk 31fs and this is our first rv experience. Hoping to take grandchildren on some great trips. Since I am a newbie I’m looking to learning much from the forum. I do have a question. How do you check the tire pressure on the inside rear tires? It appears the valve stem is hidden between the tires. Would appreciate any advice.
Woundtight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #2

Lots of advice...got my best guidance off YouTube channel “RV 101”
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:57 PM   #3
Site Team

this is the spot for a question on your new rig. We have a section for introducing yourself.

Some do both with the first post but many members don't read the class C if they don't have one so you may want to make one there also. There has been much discussion of the problem you posed.

Welcome to JOF. Is Cumminh a place?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:55 PM   #4

Welcome and congrats on your 2018 Grayhawk 31fs!
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #5

Congratulations on your new Greyhawk and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #6

Welcome Woundtight! Your in for a lot of fun and great memories.

As far as the inside duals...yep they are not easy but there is a solution. Go to a truck tire store or call one local and tell them your problem. They will offer options. My suggestion is to go with the solid metal longer valve stems. They will have to dismount the tires to install these but you will never have another issue.

My Greyhawk actually came with these but I got the alcoa aluminum wheels option. So I have first hand experience with them. Some will say the flex braided extenders are fine and they are ok but many have been know to loosen and leak down causing a flat. The solid longer stems are the way to go.

Not sure if Discount Tire could install these. You could order them online and have them install. I would call them first. But I bet they would as they sell and install our Greyhawk tire sizes.

This is just an example. Ask the tire guys before you order. Mine are actually chrome.
Attached Thumbnails
6D9C7757-D935-4929-9217-AE23D8F6913F.jpg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:11 PM   #7

Welcome from Ohio!

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:24 AM   #8

It is possible to get your hand in thru the outside rim hole depending on the side of you hands, but it is still a pain. Valve stem extenders are a great countermeasure. I installed a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) on our 2016 31FK and love it. Gives me that added piece of mind while traveling down the road. And checking tire pressure before every trip is as simple as turning on the unit. Below is the link to the one I use (there are some good threads on the forum about different TPMS). Enjoy your new home on wheels!!

https://www.amazon.com/TireMinder-Pr...aRL&ref=plSrch
Old 07-28-2018, 02:56 AM   #9

Thanks guys for your response. Valve extenders sound like the way to go. My typing skills are rather poor, we live in Cumming, GA which is a little north of Atlanta.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:16 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundtight View Post
Thanks guys for your response. Valve extenders sound like the way to go. My typing skills are rather poor, we live in Cumming, GA which is a little north of Atlanta.
LOL, I knew where you meant. Home of TST!

You can edit it by clicking on your user profile.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:55 AM   #11

Question

I can’t get the inverter to come on in my Grayhawk. Since I’m a newbie I wanted to ask for ideas before I take it to a service center. I’m hopeful I’m just making a rookie mistake. Thank you for your thoughts.
Bob
Old 08-14-2018, 07:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Welcome Woundtight! Your in for a lot of fun and great memories.

As far as the inside duals...yep they are not easy but there is a solution. Go to a truck tire store or call one local and tell them your problem. They will offer options. My suggestion is to go with the solid metal longer valve stems. They will have to dismount the tires to install these but you will never have another issue.

My Greyhawk actually came with these but I got the alcoa aluminum wheels option. So I have first hand experience with them. Some will say the flex braided extenders are fine and they are ok but many have been know to loosen and leak down causing a flat. The solid longer stems are the way to go.

Not sure if Discount Tire could install these. You could order them online and have them install. I would call them first. But I bet they would as they sell and install our Greyhawk tire sizes.

This is just an example. Ask the tire guys before you order. Mine are actually chrome.

Yes, Discount Tire will install them. That is who installed mine for me. I trash canned the braided ones that came with my GreyHawk because they leaked at the crimped fittings, and were not reliable.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:35 AM   #13

Quote:
I can’t get the inverter to come on in my Grayhawk. Since I’m a newbie I wanted to ask for ideas before I take it to a service center. I’m hopeful I’m just making a rookie mistake. Thank you for your thoughts.
Bob
I have to hold the button down for several seconds before it comes on.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:49 AM   #14

Question

Thank you for reply, I will try holding it down longer. I was running the generator when I tried the inverter. Also I noticed the air conditioner and slides won’t work either. I don’t know for sure but I don’t think they use the inverter. What do you think?
Bob
Old 08-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Thank you for reply, I will try holding it down longer. I was running the generator when I tried the inverter. Also I noticed the air conditioner and slides won’t work either. I don’t know for sure but I don’t think they use the inverter. What do you think?
Bob
Bob, leave the inverter off...you only need that if you don't have generator or shore power. It will run your batteries down converting 12 volts to 120 volts. The inverter is only for light loads like the tv not the air conditioners.

To operate the slides and air conditioners the 12 volt master power switch must be on. That turns power to the thermostat and slide motors. You will also need 120 volts from shore power or generator to run the air conditioners. Jayco recommends you have 120 volts from shore power or generator also on to run the slides in or out as the battery may not be enough by itself.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #16

Question

Thank you so much for your help. Like I thought, rookie mistake. I forgot to turn on master switch.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Thank you so much for your help. Like I thought, rookie mistake. I forgot to turn on master switch.
Ha! Glad you found it...don't worry we have all been there and survived. It gets easier and becomes second nature after a few mistakes.

Enjoy and hope you and yours have many safe and memorable miles of camping fun in your new home on wheels!
Old 08-14-2018, 01:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Ha! Glad you found it...don't worry we have all been there and survived. It gets easier and becomes second nature after a few mistakes.

Enjoy and hope you and yours have many safe and memorable miles of camping fun in your new home on wheels!
A few of us are making a habit of making the same mistake over and over again. I can't seem to remember that the slides don't work with the ignition on. I've gotten super angry more than once thinking there was something broken that I'd have to troubleshoot and fix. After stomping around huffing and puffing and spouting several "choice" words, I remember what's happening, smack myself on the forehead, and move on. Maybe next time I'll remember! LOL!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:30 PM   #19

Bob, I'm across town from you, in Kennesaw area. FYI, just went to NIRV in Lawrenceville last week for an issue with one of the tire values on my Odyssey (an Entegra/Jayco). Great place to go if you need warranty / service. They do Entegra, so I'd check with them as they likely would support Jayco as well.
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #20

Enjoy your new home on wheels and this special time called retirement.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote