Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #1

New Jayco 31FK Owners

We went ahead and purchased our new 2016, 31FK this morning. We had been looking at the damn thing for several months and finally made the decision in the 9F weather we had here in Idaho this morning. The price had been further reduced and the dealer offered a third year of warranty which helped seal the deal.
I look forward to taking part in the forum moving forward.
Gilm2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #2

Welcome to the wonderful world of a fully self-contained motorhome ownership.

Don't forget to change your profile About Me information to list your new motorhome.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:15 PM   #3

Welcome to the ranks of 31FK owners. We also shopped for months before finally deciding on ours. it has been as much fun as we'd hoped. My only problem is that, not yet retired, I do not get as much vacation as I'd like.

Maybe you can get out to warmer weather on it soon.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #4

Thanks Abarkl, I will update my profile. This isn't our first, we have had two other Class C's before this. This is our first Jayco. We are looking forward to this Spring.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #5

Thank you NC Roamer, we beat you there. I have been retired for going on 3 years and my wife a little longer. Still find it hard to just get up and go but we do manage 30-40 nights a year.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #6

Same make and model here! 2016 31FK.

I wanted the 29ME, but five others (wife, kids and dog) wanted the 31FK.
Outvoted, outgunned.

pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #7

Pconroy -- We weren't far off. The first time we started looking at the Jayco's we really like the 29MV. A couple of things that moved us in the FK's direction was the larger storage in the back and price. It being the end of the year and this one had been on the lot for a while so they were happy to get rid of it at a great price! Adding in the 3rd year warranty didn't hurt either.
We had two Forest RiverClass C's before this but we were very unhappy with the overall quality of the unit and the service department at Camping World was abysmal when things needed repair. We liked the floor plans of the Forest River but our last one had the full wall slide which I was never confident in. So the FK should be perfect with just the one smaller slide and other features that we are looking forward to getting to try.
Have a great holiday.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #8

We just bought a 2016 31FK as well, took delivery of it week before last. We won't get to fully use it for a few more months, but are planning a trek out West to go trout fishing this summer. I am not retired, so it is unusual for me to get this much time off at once, but we are planning a 2.5 week trip. The end of year markdown was too good to pass up. I hope this model is not fraught with problems.
TomE1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomE1963 View Post
p. I hope this model is not fraught with problems.

Hope for the best, expect the worst.
So far, the problems that have popped up on ours have been owner fixable - except for one biggie.

The previous owner didn't exercise the generator.
A new carb and install at the Cummins shop was expensive.

Exercise the generator twice a month for at least 30 mins and under 50% load. For us that means I fire it up, plug in a 1500 watt heater and let everything run for about an hour.

We like the 31FK.
Once I added some more shelving, it easily accommodates our family of five - two adults, three teenagers and a dog.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #10

TomE1963 -
I wish you the best of luck with your new motorhome. I understand your concerns with the quality of the units these days. I have owned two Forest River Class C's and ultimately got rid of them because of quality issues and having to deal with the service department at our local Camping World.
I am also in agreement with the year end pricing, we couldn't go wrong and they through n a 3rd year warranty for us as well. Ours is a local, privately owned dealer that seems very interested in keeping us well serviced. We will see when the spring roles around. It will be put to bed for the winter with monthly trips home for running things to keep them moving throughout our Idaho winters.
Best of luck.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #11

PConroy --
Where did you add the shelves?
Old 12-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilm2113 View Post
PConroy --
Where did you add the shelves?
I would also love to see some pictures.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #13

See here:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...elf-42210.html

Medicine cabinet got one extra one and that odd shaped TV cabinet in the main cabin got several. Will tackle TV cabinet in bedroom next.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:13 AM   #14

What did you pay??

I am looking at a used (barely) 2016 31FK. I am on the east coast, tri state area, so pricing tends to be a bit high. One owner, low mileage. Really, really clean. upgraded to a 37' Class A at the same dealer purchased from.
Lowest they will go is $68K with extended warranty.

What are your thoughts on this price? Is there anything I should be looking at or knowing about this unit? Oh...and does anyone know what size the fridge is in there? I forgot to ask. And...what is your experience with the A/C? Does is do a good job of cooling the rig while camping?
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
I am looking at a used (barely) 2016 31FK. I am on the east coast, tri state area, so pricing tends to be a bit high. One owner, low mileage. Really, really clean. upgraded to a 37' Class A at the same dealer purchased from.
Lowest they will go is $68K with extended warranty.

What are your thoughts on this price? Is there anything I should be looking at or knowing about this unit? Oh...and does anyone know what size the fridge is in there? I forgot to ask. And...what is your experience with the A/C? Does is do a good job of cooling the rig while camping?
Just sent you a private message sharing what we paid for our lightly used 2016 31FK.

Fridge - going from *memory* it's a Norcold NXA641. Not "residential huge" but big enough for our family of five (with three teens). Pantry space is OK. We don't feel like we need more food storage space.

A/C - is a *sore* spot with us. It does NOT cool our rig when it's very hot out meaning direct sun and temps in upper 90's or more.

Once the sun goes down and temps drop into low 90's or lower - then the rig cools off enough to sleep. But, the AC issue is a big enough problem for me that I'm planning on a second AC unit someway, somehow.

If you're camping in the shade and not in the hot Southwest, then I'd say you won't be too bothered by the AC unit.

On the plus side - having the heat strips in the AC unit has made winter camping a heck of a lot better for us.