Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2018, 04:26 PM   #1

New Jayco Greyhawk 30Z issues!!!!

Yes, I read the forum and all the sloppy build job Jayco has been doing when slapping these things together, however I ordered one anyway.. We previously had a Hummingbird with no issues, so thought we would try our luck ,,

Anyone else buy a 30Z yet?? They just came out end of June?? Several issues I had fixed with half (bleep) PDI, loose fittings under sink, etc. The main issue is the new SoundStream Radio... Or the wiring I guess.. Dealer still cannot figure it out even with speaking to Jayco techs.. Hit a bump radio goes out, slam the door it goes on or off, drive and chassis rocks it goes in or out... Swapped out 3 radios, so a wiring issue. Dealer thought replacing interior/exterior speaker switch was the issue but once I pick it up of course one bump and no sound lol...

When I first picked it up 2 weeks ago as soon as I left lot, radio goes out, so went back at that time it was a power issue took them a week to figure out where fuse was blown, now it has power but a sound issue.

I reminded dealer Texas does have a lemon law!
jnunes22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #2

When you say the radio goes out, what do you mean? Loss of power, loss of sound, loss of reception, etc.
JPHealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPHealy View Post
When you say the radio goes out, what do you mean? Loss of power, loss of sound, loss of reception, etc.
Loss of sound now, originally was power, as the first radio blew the fuse near the battery disconnect, then once they replaced fuse got real hot and smelt burnt plastic, so they changed that unit out. Now its just intermittent sound, depending on bumps etc, but it's mostly no sound, occasionally now the sound will come on briefly.

Dealer getting electrical schematic from Jayco tomorrow...
Old 07-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #4

Sounds like a bad wiring harness behind the radio. Just thinking.
JPHealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:14 PM   #5

You my friend have a wiring issue...I would start by jumping around the power hot wire to a known good power source say from a cig plug on the dash.

If that doesn't do it try disconnecting one speaker from back of radio at a time. That is only way to isolate this. When you find the problem run new wiring to that speaker.

It sure sounds like a power issue...I would try hooking the radio up to a good known source first and see what happens.

These type electric gremlins can be really tiring and difficult to find. Hang in there! It can be fixed.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:05 AM   #6

i purchased my 30Z on july 6th we have only had one or two issues as of yet and none of them came from the stereo. Maybe you could tell me if you have had to reset your main power to get the slides to work after stopping at camp site and when trying to leave the site i have to shut down the main power switch and generator and make sure the truck is turned off before they will operate again ?? am i doing something wrong ????
donfiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donfiori View Post
i purchased my 30Z on july 6th we have only had one or two issues as of yet and none of them came from the stereo. Maybe you could tell me if you have had to reset your main power to get the slides to work after stopping at camp site and when trying to leave the site i have to shut down the main power switch and generator and make sure the truck is turned off before they will operate again ?? am i doing something wrong ????
The Greyhawk manual says to always level the coach first before using slides. So before the leveling jacks will work you must make sure the ignition is off and the parking brake is set. Then it says you must have the main power switch (battery disconnect) on for slides to function.

Sure sounds like yours is working properly to me. Always be sure the coach is plugged into 120 volt or the generator is running when running slides. This gives your batteries a boost from the converter. It even mentions this in the Greyhawk manual. Low battery voltage is harmful to the slide motors.
Attached Thumbnails
2CE13567-80B1-40AD-98B2-E0D509741B16.jpg  
Old 07-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
The Greyhawk manual says to always level the coach first before using slides. So before the leveling jacks will work you must make sure the ignition is off and the parking brake is set. Then it says you must have the main power switch (battery disconnect) on for slides to function.

Sure sounds like yours is working properly to me. Always be sure the coach is plugged into 120 volt or the generator is running when running slides. This gives your batteries a boost from the converter. It even mentions this in the Greyhawk manual. Low battery voltage is harmful to the slide motors.
thanks we are going to add to our lot at the lake to be able to level better because its just to much and the auto leveler wont work so we didnt get level the entire weekend due to the fact that i left the andersons at home in the garage lol
Old 07-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by donfiori View Post
What cabinet maker said above is correct., I normally park, set brake; with engine on, auto level, then shut off vehicle. Plug in the electric, then I extend the slides. I haven't tried to extend with generator on. My first time out for a short 2 day trial, I couldnt get the slides to go out, because I had left the engine running after auto level. But to answer your question no, I don't have to shutdown the main power switch, I normally just leave it on while travelling.

Best thing to do is develop a checklist... I just got mine back from dealer, so I will work on that this weekend.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:00 PM   #10

Okay, dealership working with Jayco figured out the issue, a loose speaker wire that I guess fell behind refrigerator, and would contact the coils and cause the short etc..

Seems to be working now, so I will be packing up for our trip to yellowstone..
Old 07-26-2018, 08:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnunes22 View Post
Okay, dealership working with Jayco figured out the issue, a loose speaker wire that I guess fell behind refrigerator, and would contact the coils and cause the short etc..

Seems to be working now, so I will be packing up for our trip to yellowstone..
Yellowstone!!! Man I'm jealous...one of my favorite places if not my number one.

Glad you got the radio fixed. I thought it sounded like a wiring problem. Thanks for following up and letting us know what they did to get it sorted. Might help someone someday.

Be safe and enjoy your trip!
Old 07-27-2018, 10:26 AM   #12

im glad u got that taken care of nothing makes my heart drop like spending that much money on a item and it malfunctions in such a way that you cant use it till they fix it hope this info helps any dealers or techs to find a problem faster next time