Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2019, 08:31 AM   #1

New Minnesota law

As of August 1 having your cell phone in YOUR HAND while driving is against the law. As i understand it that includes sitting at a stop light.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by whporwil View Post
As of August 1 having your cell phone in YOUR HAND while driving is against the law. As i understand it that includes sitting at a stop light.
Been like that here for years. We can't legally eat or drink anything while driving here but yet drive-thru restaurants are still being built.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #3

This is why we have hands-free conversions, or headsets.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:25 AM   #4

Should be Federal Mandate, just like seat belts and the legal limit. As was said there are plenty of Blue Tooth options available.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #5

We installed these in the cab of our Seneca...

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mo...p-hn910ibusta/

This charges our phone (without having to plug into the phone) and we can run google maps all day without using any battery charge.

We connect the phone to our entertainment system in the dash via Bluetooth and it can stream music, answer phone (hands free speakerphone) and broadcast directions without touching the phone.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #6

Same goes into effect in Maine Sept 19.. Even at a stop light

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:34 AM   #7

When are cars/trucks going to have completely blocked out dashboards and all electronics locked off as long as the engine is running and the transmission is in gear? This would include "everything" including the sound system and climate control. You would have to stop and put the vehicle in park to see or change anything, but the sound system would only work while stopped. The only item that would work while in gear would be the speedometer and fuel gage.

You want more government mandates? Be careful of what you ask for.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
You want more government mandates? Be careful of what you ask for.
I would normally agree, but for some reason people just can't stay off their phones while they drive. It's not just a young person thing, I see people off all ages on their phones while they drive.

Driving is not something that should be multi-tasked.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #9

If its like Calif. we have all kinds of cell phone laws but hardly ever enforced, not enough police. Same goes for speed 75 -80 on highways that are posted at 65 they think
these are suggested laws
corv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #10

I'm always amazed at the number of people that still have their phones in their hands in cars I know have bluetooth hands free. Connecting your phone to hands free takes maybe 2 minutes to set up.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #11

I live in Illinois and they just went hands free while driving recently. Good idea if they actually enforced it.

For my old car I have a Motorola Sonic Rider. Plug it in about once a month to charge then leave it clipped to the sun shield. Will even recognize spouse's phone if it rings. Good sound and battery life is still going after several years.

I was on a city street and saw the policeman ahead of me looking down to his right and seeming to lean over several times. When I came up beside him at a stop light I realized he was typing and reading his computer on the center console. Seen it before. I wonder if he should ticket himself???
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:19 PM   #12

August 1, we also enacted the new "Slow Poke" law. On multi lane roads, you cannot sit in the left lane, you must be passing, or preparing to make a left turn. You can not just sit in the left lane.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
We installed these in the cab of our Seneca...

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mo...p-hn910ibusta/

This charges our phone (without having to plug into the phone) and we can run google maps all day without using any battery charge.

We connect the phone to our entertainment system in the dash via Bluetooth and it can stream music, answer phone (hands free speakerphone) and broadcast directions without touching the phone.
Just out of curiosity, do you know how much data Google maps uses, say driving a typical 8 hour day?

I tow a TT so I'm using the factory GPS in my TV. Thinking about trying Google maps or Waze in Apple car play but I don't have a unlimited data plan.

I've heard it's not a lot but on a long trip it could be substantial.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I was on a city street and saw the policeman ahead of me looking down to his right and seeming to lean over several times. When I came up beside him at a stop light I realized he was typing and reading his computer on the center console. Seen it before. I wonder if he should ticket himself???

You will find that the law exempts all EMS (ie police & fire). Some find this hypocritical, others will think it's a necessary evil.....
KingRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Should be Federal Mandate, just like seat belts and the legal limit. As was said there are plenty of Blue Tooth options available.
Nothing should be a Federal Mandate. I am for leaving most everything up to the States. Oh, yeah.... I read that somewhere..... the 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #16

Any handheld device is illegal here in NY state as well when you are driving. If you get caught talking/texting while driving, the fines are stiff and points on your license as well. But, unfortunately a lot of people ignore this law.... Oh and yeah, Law enforcement is exempt. I see more cops on their cellphones yakking and laughing........Just sayin'
Old 08-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
Nothing should be a Federal Mandate. I am for leaving most everything up to the States. Oh, yeah.... I read that somewhere..... the 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

I concur.
KingRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #18

TN has the same law. It took effect July 1st of this year. The question is, will they enforce it?
I drove a truck for 30 years and you probably wouldn't believe all the things I have seen going on in vehicles (all types).
I had my first cell phone two weeks when I decided to get a wired ear plug. That was all they had at the time. I got tired of holding it up to my ear plus it blocked my vision on the side I was holding it.
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

Centerville,TN
backpack1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #19

Welcome to our world in California. Not hard at all. Handsfree and Siri
ltnunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpack1953 View Post
TN has the same law. It took effect July 1st of this year. The question is, will they enforce it?
I drove a truck for 30 years and you probably wouldn't believe all the things I have seen going on in vehicles (all types).
I had my first cell phone two weeks when I decided to get a wired ear plug. That was all they had at the time. I got tired of holding it up to my ear plus it blocked my vision on the side I was holding it.
Many cities in Tennessee, Memphis for example, are not enforcing the new law because it is a state law not a municipal ordnance. Of course the THP has jurisdiction on all state and federal highways, and they are enforcing it.
2017 Seneca 36FK
ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote