Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2024, 01:03 PM   #1

New Owner 2024 Greyhawk 27U

Just took delivery of our new Greyhawk 27U. After driving a Melbourne 24L Sprinter for four years, I have noticed the E450 chassis is a much different drive and has a little steering play in the steering wheel. Is this normal for this chassis? Has anyone installed a steering stabilizer like the Safe-T Plus or like kind? If so, what has been your results? Thanks.
rockymountainRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 01:36 PM   #2

Congrats on the 27U. I just picked up a 2024 Redhawk 26M. Have driven it <50 miles which was 99% interstate miles. I thought the same thing in the steering. I have a classic 65 yr. old Ford car with bias ply tires. I equated driving the new 26M to be like driving the 65 yr. old Ford on steroids. Look forward to hearing of suggestions / upgrades.
2024Jayco26M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 03:00 PM   #3

Get a front end alignment, it’s probably out of spec. They’re aligned for the empty chassis when they’re built. When the coach is added it changes the angle of the chassis and therefore the alignment (caster) for the front end.
Captain Skip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 03:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Skip View Post
Get a front end alignment, it’s probably out of spec. They’re aligned for the empty chassis when they’re built. When the coach is added it changes the angle of the chassis and therefore the alignment (caster) for the front end.

Alignment needed on a brand new vehicle (passenger/commercial/otherwise)? That shouldn't be...
2024Jayco26M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 05:23 PM   #5

There are some great posts here concerning suspension adjustments and add ons to the Ford E-450 chassis. The amount of information available using the search feature will allow you to really fine tune your rig. First thing to do, as mentioned, is to get a front end alignment. Maybe it shouldn't be but it is. In my case the dealer paid for it. Next is to adjust your rear Helwig helper springs J-ride additions. I have a 26XD classic C and adjusted them to 2 1/2 inches. Just those 2 adjustments made a huge improvement in the handling.
Oh, and I also added a steering stabilizer and replaced the anti sway bar with a Helwig but that was after I did the above work.

Congratulations on your new Rig!!!
Old 05-08-2024, 06:28 PM   #6

I also Have a 27U, if you have the know how crawl under and look at the helwig helper springs in the back. There are U-bolts on each end, watch videos and learn to tighten them up. You will instantly feel the sway leave.
Handieman1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 06:48 AM   #7

As referenced above.....get a front end alignment. You will be pleasantly surprised at the difference in the way it steers/drives.
Etsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 04:25 AM   #8

Thanks all. Has anyone installed the Safe-t-plus steering stabilizer and rear trac bar on your E450 chassis?
rockymountainRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainRVer View Post
Thanks all. Has anyone installed the Safe-t-plus steering stabilizer and rear trac bar on your E450 chassis?
Yup. If you are doing it yourself do the safety plus with a front heavy duty sway bar the same time. You have to remove driver side sway bar bracket to do safety T plus. I had a shop do the rear super steer track bar. MH weight must be on the wheels when installed. Not enough room laying underneath working. Shop can lift it by the wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3726.jpg  
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 10:25 AM   #10

Curious why everybody pushes the Safety Plus steering stabilizer? Is it just because of the Internet phenomenon of "monkey see monkey due" where if one person buys something everybody does without thinking for or researching themselves? Or is it better than lets say the Fox stabilizer, or a Rancho or Bilstein?
littleboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 10:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleboss View Post
Curious why everybody pushes the Safety Plus steering stabilizer? Is it just because of the Internet phenomenon of "monkey see monkey due" where if one person buys something everybody does without thinking for or researching themselves? Or is it better than lets say the Fox stabilizer, or a Rancho or Bilstein?
It was my understanding that the Jayco J-Ride included a steering stabilizer, which helps prevent driver fatigue from the steering wheel being influenced by changing road conditions. The Safety-Plus may simply be stronger or perhaps some Class C's don't have a stabilizer.

I will add that I replaced the steering stabilizer on mine (not sure what the oem installed unit was), and went to the Roadmaster Reflex which is spring loaded. You have to adjust it so that the spring pressure is zero when driving straight but the advantage in my case (likely all cases) is that because it is spring loaded, when making a turn left or right, the steering will self center on its own. Prior to the change, I had to use a bit of force to make each turn and again to center the steering when coming out of each turn. The biggest benefit was with making sharp turns (like those turning onto a different road vs going down the highway) but there was also benefit in simply going straight down the highway especially when encountering uneven road surfaces.

I will also add that having a steering stabilizer should help in the event of a front tire blowout which should keep an unsuspecting driver from having the steering (wheel) turn rapidly in the direction of the blown tire. I suspect that the stabilizer will indeed be of value in such an event, although I haven't ever had a front tire blowout and hopefully never will. ~CA
Old 06-18-2024, 11:44 AM   #12

Quote:

Thee Greyhawk may have a better steering stabilizer from the factory. My Entegra Odyssey 29V came through with the skinny little Ford OEM stabilizer, if you can call it that. I put a Safe-T-Plus on my last Class C on a Chevy chassis and it made a major improvement in handling and road manners. I put one on my 2024 Odyssey as soon as I got it home. Made a noticeable difference in helping to hold the vehicle in the lane with minimal steering. I can drive with one hand on the wheel comfortably. I will admit, they're expensive so if you don't think you need one then drive without one. But there's the safety aspect too, helping to keep the front wheels going straight or at least trying to go straight in the event of a blowout. That alone is worth the cost to me. Fox and Rancho make great off road suspension parts so their steering stabilizer may work great on a Jeep or pickup but I don't know if they're heavy duty enough for a motorhome. Bilstein makes great shocks so their stabilizer may or may not be as good, or better than the Safe-T-Plus, I went with what I know.
Old 06-18-2024, 11:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2024Jayco26M View Post
Alignment needed on a brand new vehicle (passenger/commercial/otherwise)? That shouldn't be...

I agree 1,000%, but then water heaters shouldn't quit, cabinet doors shouldn't open, slide motors shouldn't fail on a new rig either....but they do.
Old 06-18-2024, 12:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Is it just because of the Internet phenomenon of "monkey see monkey due" where if one person buys something everybody does without thinking for or researching themselves?
That's a bit harsh, isn't it?
Old 06-18-2024, 07:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Many of us know what we are doing. Anyone with half a brain can see that the front Ford stock sway bar and steering stabilizer on E450 cutaways are junk. Once changed out even a monkey can tell the difference. So in the mean time eat a few more bananas.
Old 06-19-2024, 04:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Many of us know what we are doing. Anyone with half a brain can see that the front Ford stock sway bar and steering stabilizer on E450 cutaways are junk. Once changed out even a monkey can tell the difference. So in the mean time eat a few more bananas.
Question is not whether you have half a brain or not but why everybody uses that stabilizer vs the name brands (Bilstein, Rancho, etc). If Bilstein and Rancho can make a stabilizer for a Ford Super Duty I am sure theirs for the E450 would be fine? As I said it appears to be an internet thing of everybody copies everybody else without doing your own research and maybe getting a higher quality and cheaper product.
Sometimes I think the makers of the products are on these forums pushing their products.
littleboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 10:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Question is not whether you have half a brain or not but why everybody uses that stabilizer vs the name brands (Bilstein, Rancho, etc). If Bilstein and Rancho can make a stabilizer for a Ford Super Duty I am sure theirs for the E450 would be fine? As I said it appears to be an internet thing of everybody copies everybody else without doing your own research and maybe getting a higher quality and cheaper product.
Sometimes I think the makers of the products are on these forums pushing their products.
I agree a lot is individual choice. But also stock suspension parts are junk when you add a MH and extend the frame. You pretty much have to spend a bunch of money to fix what the factory should have done. I am up in Canada from Fl on my way to Alaska. Sure glad I did front sway bar, adjusted the hellwigs, added steering stabilizer, rear track bar and front sumo springs. Drives way better but still gets your attention in wind towing my Gladiator.
Old 06-20-2024, 08:30 PM   #18

Quote:
AFAIK - no manufacturers are here, or with any regularity. What you see as Monkey-See Monkey-Do, I call research on a "trusted forum with like minded individuals."

Is it kind of a 'self-fulfilling prophecy'?
Sure. To some extent.
Old 06-21-2024, 04:31 PM   #19

This will do it

I have the 2022 model and found the handling pretty poor. It already has jride plus which means better springs or spring helpers, koni shocks and (as i recall) a heavier rear sway bar. I was flat towing a buick Encore GX and it felt like the tail was wagging the dog. I upgraded the front sway bar and that helped slightly. I had it properly aligned (it was off significantly) and added a super steer safe-t-plus stabilizer. I also added a super steer Trac bar which wasn't cheap but cured the ass wiggle. Then we went on a long trip across idaho (lots of long straight roads) and it was very good in all aspects except it wanted to wander slightly to the left. I adjusted the steering stabilizer by about 1/8" (pretty easy to do) and now everything associated with steering and suspension was outstanding.
You might want to bite the bullet and make these changes. For a couple grand you'll be thrilled.
CharlieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 04:35 PM   #20

Did you snug up the Helwig springs in the back? That is where you will notice the rear sway in a big way.
Handieman1965 is offline   Reply With Quote