Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2021, 10:58 PM   #1

new owner - Greyhawk prestige Ford V8 - TOAD

I recently purchased a 2021 Greyhawk Prestige 29MVP. This is our first motorhome and a move up for us from bumper pull trailers. I picked up the motorhome in Cincinnati and drove back to north texas. No problems whatsoever. Very pleased with the engine although I have nothing to compare to. We pulled our last trailer with a 2020 GMC 1500 AT4. I am curious to peoples thoughts on what is too much weight to tow. The GMC is about 5000lbs. I dont want to make it too difficult or a pain. would love to hear peoples thoughts on this. We are not stuck on the GMC but since we already own it seems reasonable. thanks
bmccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:13 AM   #2

It'll pull it, but that's about the upper limit of what I'd want to be pulling. Granted, mine is the Triton V-10, so yours may be a bit different with the new V-8. You're certainly going to know it's back there.

For me, I'd be a little concerned in terrain with lots of grades. You're going to be working that rig pretty hard pulling that much up and down hills/mountains. Every now and again, I'd probably be okay with it and make it work, but if you're in it all the time, I think that'd get a little old pretty quick. And maybe "concerned" is the wrong word ... It's just something I'd be thinking about I guess...

Also, just make sure you are truly within your capacities. AFAIK, the new Greyhawks have been equipped with gear giving them a towing capacity of 7,000 lbs. But there was a time when they were only equipped to allow a 5,000 lb rating. So just make sure all your gear is up to the task.

FWIW, I have towed a 1997 Jeep Wrangler, a 2015 Grand Cherokee, and now a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport. The 1997 is the lightest of the mix, and the Grand was the heaviest. I've towed the Grand all over the place (including some pretty intense grades) and did pretty good. The JLU is a bit lighter, so it tows a bit nicer.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:47 PM   #3

thanks camper bob. I appreciate the feedback. i know it is personal preference but what do you think a good weight to tow is?
bmccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccain View Post
thanks camper bob. I appreciate the feedback. i know it is personal preference but what do you think a good weight to tow is?
My personal opinion, I wouldn't want to tow more than about 5,000 lbs routinely. If I weren't doing it often, I'd do it. But if I'm towing all the time, I'd want something lighter.

Again, that's strictly my personal opinion. There's nothing wrong with towing more if it works for you and you're within the specifications of the equipment. Personal comfort and preference as well as budget all work into it, and you need to work out that decision matrix for what works best for you.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow weight toad