Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #1

Question New Owner Jayco GReyhawk with question

Pardon my ignorance, but my wife and I just took delivery of a new 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK. We plan to use it to visit the kids and explore the country as empty nesters. The MH is pretty nice and has about everything in it we wanted. After we took delivery, I noticed that the "shore" electrical system when plugged into the 30 AMP box at our indoor storage unit does not appear to automatically send power to the "house". Does this mean that you have to turn something on, such as the inverter, in order for it to provide power? and does this need to be left on in order to keep the batteries charged? I have read thru the manual and it is not very clear from it exactly how all f this works. Also when I go to turn on the generator it does not want to start unless I have the vehicle started and running at the time. After it starts I can shut down the vehicle, but prior to that it acts like the batteries are too weak to start the generator. It had been winterized when we took possession and the company claims to have gone thru everything, and perhaps something is turned "off". Any ideas where I should start looking to solve this issue, or is it even an issue? Thanks
TomE1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #2

Do you have the master power switch turned on? In my 31FS it's right at the floor of the entrance door.
jschulz1720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschulz1720 View Post
Do you have the master power switch turned on? In my 31FS it's right at the floor of the entrance door.
If all switches and breakers are on then the coach battery may need to fully charged or replaced if it continues to fail to supply enough voltage to start the generator.

If the master power switch is found to be on then perhaps the converter breaker has been turned off or has tripped and needs to be reset.
The converter takes the 30 amp shore and generator power and charges the coach battery and provides voltage to all other 12 volt accessories.

Let us know what you find to be the problem, and welcome to JOF, we are glad you joined us!
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:46 PM   #4

I will do that. I thought I had the main power button on, it is just inside the door near the steps. In the box above it you have the generator switch and another unit, which I thought was some type of inverter, but it shows battery strength on the side. I will take a closer look when I am back out there this weekend and have more time to play with it. Thanks for all the help. I am sure I will have more questions in the future.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:01 PM   #5

Congratulations on your new Greyhawk and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new motorhome!
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomE1963 View Post
new 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK.

I noticed that the "shore" electrical system when plugged into the 30 AMP box at our indoor storage unit does not appear to automatically send power to the "house".

Does this mean that you have to turn something on, such as the inverter, in order for it to provide power?

and does this need to be left on in order to keep the batteries charged?

We have the same make and year, so holler if you run into any specific questions.

As others have said, check the little Master Power rocker switch down by the Leveling Jacks panel. If it's off - the cabin lights won't work, the thermostat will show blank, etc. If it's on, and you're still not getting shore power to power the coach, something else is wrong.

Plugging into shore power, you should see the microwave clock go on (after 30 secs), the thermostat comes alive. The Xantrex Inverter control light should show green, and so forth.

As for keeping the coach battery charged, your choices are:
- run the Ford engine, let the alternator charge both batteries
- run the Onan generator, charge the coach battery
- plug into shore power
- plug a battery tender or solar charger in and hook directly up to battery

The manual is one of the thickest and most worthless stacks of paper I've encountered.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum. We just bought our first trailer (23MRB) and I've spent hours just reading through the posts. Really some great people here.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:53 PM   #9

TomE. nobody has said anything about the outlet you plugged into. Hopefully, you tested it for ground and power. Could a circuit have broken power from the outlet?

Bob
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:49 PM   #10

Ditto on Bob's post...on most storage sites and most any place where you hook up 30A or more, most of the time the breaker is off at the wall or on the post where the outlet is. Double check and make sure the outlet itself has power. If you have power there then make sure the transfer switch is doing its job. If your plugged in and then start your generator, you should hear the transfer switch (if you are close to it) kick over to gen power, then after 10 minutes (don't run gen sets for shorter than 10 min durations) shut the gen back down and you should hear it click back to shore power. If you don't hear that then you need to take it to the dealer to have them look at it. They should have easily caught this though in the PDI.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:10 AM   #11

Where is the Inverter green light at conroy? I am not sure I am looking at the right thing. And I will definitely check the shore power source. It is a new facility and they may have it turned off.
These are all great suggestions for a newbie like myself...
Old 12-16-2016, 07:15 PM   #12

The inverter control panel is up there, behind the glass door, with all of the other controls. Upper left. Should say Xantrex Pro.

Press the green button once and the inverter should come one. The red LED digits will display coach battery voltage.

When plugged into shore power or the generator is running, the status light will be green. If the status light is yellow, you're drawing electricity from the battery.
If it's red - somethings wrong and the red digits will display an error code.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #13

The inverter does not need to be on unless there's no shore or generator power source available and one wants to watch TV for a couple of hours (depending upon the size and number of batteries).
Old 12-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #14

OK, When I tunr on the inverter I get an error code E05, which means overload. I did the reset....turned it off, unplugged, and turned it back on and it shows a voltage of 14.3. Then if I go to start the generator, I hear a loud clicking, like one would hear if the battery is weak, and the genie will not start, and the inverter goes back into error mode. If I turn on the engine of the motorhome, the genie will start up with no problem. I opened the side door where the battery is and pulled out the battery to check its connections and they all appear to be tight and clean. Is there another battery that goes to the genie that needs to be checked? Is there a switch somewhere that must be turned to allow the full connections? I thought the plug in to the inverter would be automatic and nothing else had to be switched over.This is becoming frustrating but I literally just took possession of this thing this last week. I had it delivered and did not drive it home from dealer because we bought it out of state.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomE1963 View Post
OK, When I tunr on the inverter I get an error code E05, which means overload.

it shows a voltage of 14.3.

Then if I go to start the generator, I hear a loud clicking, like one would hear if the battery is weak, and the genie will not start, and the inverter goes back into error mode. If I turn on the engine of the motorhome, the genie will start up with no problem. I opened the side door where the battery is and pulled out the battery to check its connections and they all appear to be tight and clean. Is there another battery that goes to the genie that needs to be checked?
Mine shows E05 frequently. Irritates me. And I haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet. Maybe we can debug that together.

If you're seeing 14.3 then I think you're plugged in and you're seeing the voltage applied to try to charge the coach battery. Mine shows 14.3 when charging and 12.3 ish when unplugged. The 12.3 being the voltage in the battery.

have you checked the health of the coach battery? I'm wondering if you've got a dead coach battery. Others can chime in on how best to check it, but a good old fashioned hydrometer is the best way I'm told.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4619-Prof.../dp/B0050SFVHO

If you're seeing 14.3 and you're NOT plugged in or running the generator or running the alternator, then I'm lost.

Right now, I'm thinking - dead coach battery.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:10 PM   #16

Hello
we had the same problem with our New Grayhawk that was delivered
July 2016.
The battery was already out of warranty when we got it.
The original battery was from a sub standard company with only a 6 month
warranty.
New battery was paid for by Jayco and it solved our problems.
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiedog View Post
Hello
we had the same problem with our New Grayhawk that was delivered
July 2016.
The battery was already out of warranty when we got it.
The original battery was from a sub standard company with only a 6 month
warranty.
New battery was paid for by Jayco and it solved our problems.
x2

Sounds like a dead coach battery. Take it to an auto shop and have it load tested.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:44 AM   #18

The more I have played with it, I think it is probably the battery. Gonna pull it out and take it to the local AutoZone and have it checked. Will then contact the seller and see if Jayco will replace it. I usually leave a battery tender on my plane and on previously owned boats. I am assuming I can do the same on this setup.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:22 AM   #19

Yes, many owners use battery tenders.

We installed a 50 amp circuit on the side of the house where we have parked our motorhomes and leave them plugged in while in storage.
We then also installed a Trik-L-Start connected to the coach battery so that its builtin converter/charger provides a charge to the chassis battery.

Whenever the we are plugged into shore power or running on the generator all our batteries are being charged.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #20

Well I think I may have found the culprit. I decided to start at the source and try to track it down. I put the battery charger / tender on the battery and after about 15 minutes the diagnostic comes up and says the battery is bad. I talked with the service department where I bought the RV, and they want me to take it to a service center, get a printout, and photo the battery and report and send it to them. They will replace it for me. After I get the new battery I will let you know if this solves the problem, but looks like the majority of you smart RV owners were right on point with your initial diagnosis. Thanks again for the help.