Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #1

New owner of a 07 Seneca 34SS, step question

Just picked up our 07 Seneca this weekend. This is my 3rd MH. This is also my first with an electric step. I found a switch that will keep the steps positioned DOWN when your are staying in an area for a while. The switch flipped ON will have the steps opening and closing with every door open and closing. My question is: Is there a way to keep the steps in the UP/Closed position?

I absolutely love the coach after the 500 mile drive home.
SousaInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:39 PM   #2

They will come up when the ignition is on, or they are supposed to. If the don't you have bad connection some place.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:56 PM   #3

Welcome!
I picked up a 2008 Seneca 35GS late last year as the third owner and it is also my 3rd motorhome. Hopefully as they say; "Third time is a charm," and I have it all figured out, but probably not.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SousaInn View Post
My question is: Is there a way to keep the steps in the UP/Closed position?
I have had 3 RV's with electric steps, all 3 RVs from different manufacturers, and on all 3 the only way to keep the steps up with the door open was to pull the fuse feeding the steps. I suppose they wire them this way on purpose to keep one from inadvertently stepping out without the step being deployed.

It was mentioned by another poster that the steps will come in when the rig is started regardless of the position of the step switch and that is indeed the case, but open the door with the engine running and the steps on my three units still came out.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. I think I may end up putting a switch to cut all power to the step when needed. I just don't like the fact of it slamming into a tall curb at not being able to easily do anything. I like the "pull the fuse idea" for now.
SousaInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:32 PM   #6

The PO of my 2006 just pulled a wire on the switch. Which one, I'm not sure. Now, the steps always open when you open the door, and they always close when you turn the ignition key to "on" position. For the sake of safety (his sister stepped out once with no steps there), he only wanted them to retract under conditions that involved the ignition key. So, when I park the motorhome, and want the steps retracted, I just climb in and turn on the key real quick and get the job done.