Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #1

New owner questions - 2005 Granite Ridge

If you've got a Granite Ridge or Grayhawk, you might be able to help me.
I just bought a 2005 Granite Ridge 31ss with 21k miles.
Under the rear bed, there is a DC to AC inverter - Xantrex, 400 watt inverter. A photos is below.
As 400 watts is pretty limited - typically what circuit does this power up?

I'm sure I'll have more questions...

Edit, the manual says:

"Your motorhome may be equipped with an inverter that converts 12-volt DC current to
120-volt AC current to operate the RV and home theater system. It is important that you
familiarize yourself with the inverter function and operation. Refer to the inverter
manufacturer’s owner’s manual for complete operating instructions and/or consult with
your independent, authorized dealer.."

I understand what the home theater system is.. but questions:
1) Does this include the (tube) TV
2) What else does it operate?

Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	8024
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #2

Hi,
I own a 2004 Granite Ridge. I just bought it last fall. It too has an inverter (400) watt quite small. But I guess that what Jayco used in these units.
It will power your entertainment center up front. The outlet is up front behind the right panel beside the TV.
The weird thing is you have too lift the bed up to turn the inverter on. I looked and looked for that switch. I found it by accident when i lifted the bed to store something.
That is the only outlet that is powered by the inverter. It should also run your DVD with surround sound. It does mine. That's it.
PS: I'm still learning. I just found the water filter this spring. If you don't know where it is I'll tell where mine was. I'll keep you posted.
Enjoy your unit . We Do! Still haven't figured out the Direct TV dish yet.
Dave & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #3

Dave & Deb,
Yes, I'll need the location of the water filter.
Thanks for the info on the inverter.

Additional questions:
1) The next thing I'm trying to figure out is the sanitation procedure. The manual mentions the ability for the water pump to pump in chlorinated water. I have no idea where that particular inlet is... The manual references "behind" the water control panel. My best guess is connecting a hose to the inlet side of the water pump drain....

2) The sewer hose setup on this thing isn't great. On ours, it's basically a PVC drop that contains "most" of a sewer hose. Two problems with this: It's hard to get a full length hose in there and the end fitting of the sewer hose won't fit in the PVC.. So you have to disassemble the sewer hose to put it away. Anyone got a good solution?

3) Ours has a subwoofer. Does anyone know if it's active or passive (powered or unpowered) - we'll eventually look to replace the aged memorex unit.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #4

Hi,
For the location of the water filter, it is located on the back wall behind the drawer above the water heater. You have to pull that drawer out to gain access to the filter. You should see it back in there.
I just tossed mine and am just using the bypass pipe provided. I hope you have one. Mine was laying on the floor where the hot water heater is located. I'll use an external filter on my inlet hose.
I normally use the water in my onboard fresh water tank. Yes all those valves can be overwhelming.
For speakers I don't know. I have 4 speakers located around the unit for the surround sound. PS: Only works on the DVD. Not TV
My sewer hose hooks up to the regular outlet. But there is a goofy drain thinghy. But I can hook up a regular sewer hose for draining black and gray water.
Hope I helped. I'm still learning. Past 5th wheel owner. PS: I still love this unit. I still got to figure out my Direct TV dish. Which is on this unit!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #5

Surround sound

The subwoofer is under the front facing dinette seat. You can actually have the TV work through th surround sound by running RCA a idiot cables from the rear of the TV (audio out) to the DVD player aux in. Set DVD player to aux when using TV.
Charles & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #6

I know where the sub is.. I was wondering if it's active or passive. It appears to be powered by the home theater system (speaker level, not RCA level).
I've replaced all of it except for the 5.1 system. The existing speakers are 8 ohm, so replacing the 5.1 system shouldn't be a big deal as long as I stay with one that pulls under 300 watts or so (inverter is 400).
Appreciate any other pointers you guys have... I like the unit, working re-sealing the roof and getting it ready for a big trip in August.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #7

Good to know this stuff. And yes keep the roof sealed. I had mine done last fall!