Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #1

New owner questions

I've just bought a new 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS, had a first trip to Southern California and back to Denver and have several questions.

1. Can I run the generator while driving?
2. I left both the propane and electrical water heater on for 2 days while there was no water in the coach. I have refilled the water and the water came out heated. Did I damage the water heater?
3. The driving was difficult with slight gusty wind all the way. Is it normal for the unit to be so unstable?
4. Is there any good recommendation for place(s) to install towing equipment to a 2011 automatic Honda Fit in Boulder-Denver area?

Thanks.

Michael
m400wyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #2

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Michael. I'm curious to hear what other mh owners have to share regarding the above. Congrats on the new MH!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Site Team

Everything I have ever heard says that your water heater should be toast. If it still works, count your blessings and keep on camping.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #4

If that water heater was full when you disconected the city water hookup, it should have just kept that water hot, and perhaps you have done no damage. If it were running empty, like above, it should be toast
ACA6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #5

Yes you can run the generator while driving. I have done it in hot climates like Florida to keep the house cool if I have passengers sitting back there to run the house A/C.
Hope your hot water tank is OK. If it still works maybe no damage was done.
If you are not getting a nice smooth ride, you may have to get an alignment.
Enjoy your 31SS, we love ours.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:12 AM   #6

Safe-T stabilizer

Thanks, guys.

1. Regarding the water heater On with no water: it seems that no visible/permanent damage was done even it was on for some time without water.

2. Does anyone have experience with addition of a stabilizer to reduce the steering wheel "wandering"?

General comment: As a new RV owner I am a bit disappointed with the industry: for a $80K + transportation unit the Jayco Greyhawk manual is very poorly written compared to a $20K Honda Fit car. Many safety items have to be added by buyers: I had to have the dual tire valve stem extenders installed at the dealer otherwise there would be no way to check the rear tire pressure. Steering stability is terrible. Why should owners have to research and add stabilizer after getting the unit home? It will add to the cost but product liability cost for safety failure can also be very costly. And consumer product support at Jayco manufacturer/dealer is quite dismal.

Michael
m400wyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:02 AM   #7

Winds? Where are they out of. Head winds are a killer on MPG. If the winds are from the side, no mater what you do, the stability will be poor. In both cases, in extreme winds pull over and wait for the winds to subside.
Many safety items have to be added? What safety items? You make Jayco sound like it makes a poor quality product, which it does not! Items that make the ride better are up to the opinion of who is doing the driving and what they expect.
One thing about the water heater, if you would have read the instructions that came along with your SS31 you would have been told not to use it when it was empty.
As far and leaving the propane one, go to u tube and type in RV propane fire, and you will see lots of RVs on fire, all of the fires start right where to propane tank is. ALWAYS BE CAREFUL AND HAVE GREAT RESPECT FOR PROPANE.
If I sound a little defensive, I too have a new SS31 and think its well made and the instructions are more than adequate along with the ton of owners manual they give to you from all the suppliers of the equipment.
As far as a alignment, talk to Jayco and if it is a new unit they might pay for it.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by m400wyn View Post
Thanks, guys.

1. Regarding the water heater On with no water: it seems that no visible/permanent damage was done even it was on for some time without water.

2. Does anyone have experience with addition of a stabilizer to reduce the steering wheel "wandering"?

General comment: As a new RV owner I am a bit disappointed with the industry: for a $80K + transportation unit the Jayco Greyhawk manual is very poorly written compared to a $20K Honda Fit car. Many safety items have to be added by buyers: I had to have the dual tire valve stem extenders installed at the dealer otherwise there would be no way to check the rear tire pressure. Steering stability is terrible. Why should owners have to research and add stabilizer after getting the unit home? It will add to the cost but product liability cost for safety failure can also be very costly. And consumer product support at Jayco manufacturer/dealer is quite dismal.

Michael
Hopefully this helps. We took delivery of our new 31ds last month and had a similar issue with the steering wandering a bit. In fact the wheel was like 45 degress turned to the left to go straight down the highway. It did track straight for the most part though. Contacted my dealer and jayco, was told warranty would cover an alignment and wheel adjustment. No Ford dealers within 45 minutes of me could handle such a large truck. Anyway, took it to a heavy truck service shop recomended by rv dealer. Turns out it needed a slight caster/camber adjustment, tires were over recomended psi by 10-15psi per tire and they adjusted the wheel during the aligment as well. Had it out on the highway this weekend for a 5 hour dirive each way and it drives a million times better. Tracks straight, wheel straight, ride is better now with ther proper tire pressure etc..... You may want to look into getting this done. Cost me $275 our of pocket but Jayco is sending the check this week for reimbursement.

Fyi, I hear what your saying these things ought to come without needing adjustments. The truck shop told me the rv manufacturer buys bulk e-450 chassis's that are stripped with nothing on them. They come aligned that way, then Jayco or any other mfg puts the coach body on it adding 8-10000lbs depending on equipment/size/options and sends it to dealer with no additional alignment. Adding all the weight certainly changes the weight and balance of the vehicle requiring a alignment. And guess what? Most rv dealers dont offer alignment services. Anyway, enjoy the new rv!
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #9

I just picked up my 2011 Melbourne 29D. Drove 620 miles home with a overnite stop. Drive was an experience. 55-60 mph we were all over our lane. Seem to smooth out at 70 mph but eat the gas. We are looking at Steer Safe for our rig.
I agree with all you say........
The owners manual is the pits! Don't understand why I should go through 3 or 4 manuals to find what I need. Needs to be a 3-ring binder with everything on your rig in it.
Wonder if there's a Jayco suggestion BOX!
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Copeland View Post
I just picked up my 2011 Melbourne 29D. Drove 620 miles home with a overnite stop. Drive was an experience. 55-60 mph we were all over our lane. Seem to smooth out at 70 mph but eat the gas. We are looking at Steer Safe for our rig.
I agree with all you say........
The owners manual is the pits! Don't understand why I should go through 3 or 4 manuals to find what I need. Needs to be a 3-ring binder with everything on your rig in it.
Wonder if there's a Jayco suggestion BOX!
Bought a Travel Supreme 5th wheel 3 years ago and it had the worst manual from the company I have ever had in 40 years of RVing! Info was mostly from "all the manufacturers" of "all the equipment" in the RV (frig, furnace, etc.). Looks like Jayco may be doing the same since they bought out the manufacturing of Travel Supreme. We ended up putting all the info in a 3-ring binder like you suggest. This situation is extremely annoying for "new to RVing" people. We have a 2012 Melbourne 29d coming in July!!
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:13 PM   #11

Unless you drained the water heater by removing the plug on the outside of the WH tank, it should have been full of water.

The water pump fills the WH with water from the fresh water tank. When the FW tank is completely empty, the water pump can no longer force water into the WH, and correspondingly, along the HW lines. However the WH is still full of water.

Quote:
I've just bought a new 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS, had a first trip to Southern California and back to Denver and have several questions.

2. I left both the propane and electrical water heater on for 2 days while there was no water in the coach. I have refilled the water and the water came out heated. Did I damage the water heater?
3. The driving was difficult with slight gusty wind all the way. Is it normal for the unit to be so unstable?
4. Is there any good recommendation for place(s) to install towing equipment to a 2011 automatic Honda Fit in Boulder-Denver area?

Thanks.

Michael

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Unless you drained the water heater by removing the plug on the outside of the WH tank, it should have been full of water.

The water pump fills the WH with water from the fresh water tank. When the FW tank is completely empty, the water pump can no longer force water into the WH, and correspondingly, along the HW lines. However the WH is still full of water.
Just FYI, You're responding to a post that's over 9 years old...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #13

we are also new with our Jayco Senena and need advise on towing a small truck
Big J and S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #14
CAG

Quote:

Thanks.

Michael

There are a number of threads here concerning the control issues with the Greyhawks and others. Use the search in the gold bar at the top and you may have to try several different configurations of wording but basically you are looking for threads that contain information on steering stabilizing. Roadmaster, is one of the stabilizers used and that may help you find some of the info.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:11 PM   #15
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J and S View Post

That is pretty broad topic. Try Google and towing a TOAD to help find what you are looking for. Some vehicles cannot be flat towed and there are articles on what and how to set up and tow.

There will be some info in here if you use the search to find your subject.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J and S View Post
You should start your own thread. Like I said, this thread was originally created 9 years ago.

But CAG is right, that's a VERY broad topic with LOTS of options. You probably want to begin by perusing the Class C section and perhaps do some searches here on the forum so that you can narrow down your question when you create that new thread.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote