Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-23-2020, 09:27 PM   #1

New owners of 2016 greyhawk 31 fs

We purchased a used greyhawk in great condition just the past weekend. My husband plugged it in for winter but we are trying to figure out if just plugging into house power is going to cause a problem. Manual wasn’t too helpful for my husband; are we doing something wrong?
Therisag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therisag View Post
We purchased a used greyhawk in great condition just the past weekend. My husband plugged it in for winter but we are trying to figure out if just plugging into house power is going to cause a problem. Manual wasn’t too helpful for my husband; are we doing something wrong?

Congrats. If you are simply keeping the coach battery(s) charged this is fine. Just remember that the outlet you are plugged into has a breaker for only that amount of A/C amps. Your converter is a 30 amp converter and capable of using 30 amps of power. Unless you are connected to a 30 amp circuit, this is not possible, and as I mentioned, you are limited by the circuit you are plugged into. If you over power that circuit, you will trip the breaker in your house. Just be aware of what you are turning on and using in the motor home and all will be fine. Make sure you check the water in your coach battery at least every month and fill as necessary. Also note that what you are doing will not keep your chassis (engine) battery charged and a supplemental battery charger/maintainer will be necessary to do so. Enjoy your new coach and good luck.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:54 PM   #3

Welcome to the JOF. Provide a little more info and you will surely get some help from other members.
For instance are you going to use it this winter? If not then you will need to winterize the water system if it’s exposed to cold temperatures. Are you parking it at home or at a storage facility? Do you have regular access to it? Plugging in to shore power will help keep your batteries charged but you will want to check the cell levels assuming you have lead acid. The generator should be run monthly. These are just few of the general things you need to be aware of but the good thing is there are lots of members with similar coaches who can go into more detail.
Enjoy the lifestyle and don’t be bashful about asking questions. You can learn a lot by searching for threads of interest to you and some of it will be like curling up with a good book. Notice I said some, and not all. All kidding aside, you and your husband have now embarked on a journey that will take you a lot of places. It won’t always be smooth sailing but that’s how we learn. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #4

Hello

Not using it during the winter. We live in WA state and we have to drive up a steep driveway to get it out. We are keeping it at our home (husband doesn’t trust storage companies) so I will tell him to check battery levels regularly, start generator monthly and there’s no water in black or gray tanks.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:02 AM   #5

You will want to winterize the fresh water system either by blowing the lines out with compressed air or by using RV antifreeze. This includes all faucets, shower, outside shower, toilet and removing any in-line water filter and draining the hot water heater. Make sure to bypass the HW tank if using antifreeze. It’s not necessary to put antifreeze in the fresh water tank but you will want to drain it. Turn the fridge off and leave the doors open so you don’t trap any moisture inside which can create mold or mildew issues. Also, put antifreeze down the drains to protect the traps. Not sure how your area is for rodents but you may want to take some protective measures against mice. Remove all food items as a minimum.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:04 AM   #6

We just bought it and we have not used it yet so there is no food or anything inside of the RV. I will have the husband turn off the refrigerator and open the doors I will get some more instructions from Jayhawk as to procedurally on how to winterize to prevent frozen frost buildup.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:34 PM   #7

Welcome aboard!

Yes keeping your rig at home and plugged in all winter is a good choice. Running the generator for 30 mins a month with a load (A/C or box heater running) is also a great idea. I unplug from my home port before running the generator - a personal decision.

Speaking of a box heater - we keep a small one on all winter and open doors cabinets. I set the furnace temp to 45º in case the box heater cannot keep up or power fails. The furnace is my backup heat source and it will run if you have 12VDC and LP. It is not our primary heat while in home port.

I'm in Texas and we don't worry too much about winterizing like everyone up north. We even use our rig for an extra bedroom while family visits us.

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:50 PM   #8

Washington here.