Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2018, 11:34 AM   #21

The V10 in the Class A has a extra valve on each cylinder which produces more HP and torque, but not dramatically so. You'll find the A's have rear axels that are geared much differently in order to help the engine motivate the rig.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:44 AM   #22

Okay. I was told by someone recently that they thought the Class A V10's were tuned differently. They were probably referring to what you mentioned. So, if Class A rear axles are geared lower, then they most likely require higher RPM's to produce the same movement. Therefore, lower MPG. Would that be right?
Flight Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:49 AM   #23

Check this out:

Class C V10 vs Class A V10

Old 03-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #24

I bought my 2017 ME in Oct 2017. I just got back from my first big trip (Dallas to Sedona to Phoenix and back over 2 weeks). This trip included 6% grades- up and down- and significant wind currents at times through west Texas. I am pleased with its handling in all instances. I used tow/haul down the grades and never had to use the brakes as long as I started at 60 MPH at the summit. It shifts uphill as described in other posts, but it pulled the grade and didn't struggle or overheat. This is coming from a guy who had a Dodge 2500 Cummins for 11 years to pull previous RV trailers and I was very happy with the V-10. I got 7-9 MPG at 65-70 MPH.

I had it weighed on the way back with the following results: front axle: 4,640 lbs., and rear axle: 9,300 lbs. (with 3/4 fuel and 1/2 propane plus all dishes/towels/bedding/beer/ice/food/and 2 weeks summer clothing for two). I am under the tire size on both axles. I believe the rear axle weight rating from Ford is 9,050 lbs so I may be 250 lbs over there, but I can move some weight to the front if it bothers me). The rig's weight is under the tire size for each axle, which tire size is the most important of all the weight ratings to me (as a former DOT enforcement officer, the only citations we could issue on weight were: 1) over axle- in Texas the max is 20,000 per single, or 34,000 per tandem so no concerns there; 2) over tire size; or 3) over registered weight- which just means companies wouldn't purchase enough registered weight and has nothing to do with the vehicle's capacities).

After this trip I realized why these Greyhawk C's don't have diesel engines- they don't need them because the V-10 does the job well. And the cost is so much less than that of a Super C.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:59 AM   #25

Your rear axle is 9600, your front is 5000.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Control View Post
I am a bit disappointed with the 8 MPG on a vehicle that is only 14,500 GVWR. I keep the highway speeds under 65. And it just seems to labor hard when climbing. Does anybody have any comments about this? Do I expect too much?
Our 31FK does the same thing.

Just be grateful for $2.30 a gallon.
We're leaving $4.00/gallon California and heading back to CO as fast as we can.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:38 AM   #27

Yes, I'm trying to be grateful for that. (smile)

I've learned a lot from the various posts, so I have a better perspective now on the V10 issue. One important thing I learned is that it's okay to wind it up to high rpm's to generate the HP in the high end. In my earlier years, that's how one could suck the life out of a gasoline engine, i.e., by running it hard. These newer engines, especially the V10, are designed to work hard, and stay cool doing it. I just wish Jayco would have put the 362 HP version of the V10 in these Class C's. I would gladly pay the difference.

If you're taking I-70 to Denver, wave as you pass through Grand Junction.
Flight Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:06 PM   #28

It’s not a choice Jayco can make. The E450 cutaway only comes with the 2 valve V10. If you want the other engine, you’re in the F53 stripped chassis market - Class A.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Control View Post
If you're taking I-70 to Denver, wave as you pass through Grand Junction.

we waved!

Old 05-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #30

great purchase, love mine for the layout and storage
ncbomaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #31

Me Too...Best of Luck

We purchased the same unit about 6 weeks ago. Took it on our shake out trip and came back with some issues (rear A/C dead, Garmin not working, water heater died, and another handful of issues). Now it’s been with the folks at CW for a full month! They claim that they’re still working with Jayco and the various individual vendors for approval to fix the issues. Someone needs to fix the RV dealer process. Consumers like us spend good money and then get stuck between Jayco/Dealer/Supplier... not a great experience at all. Love the floorplan and specifically spent the money for the Jayco quality. Many of the minor issues could have been handled before shipping the unit to the dealer. Just another couple of hours of inspection and much of the pain could be avoided. Spoke with Jayco directly and they were very good to work with yet, 1 month with my rig sitting at Camping World and not camping. Ugh.
Fmaylett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:35 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmaylett View Post
We purchased the same unit about 6 weeks ago. Took it on our shake out trip and came back with some issues (rear A/C dead, Garmin not working, water heater died, and another handful of issues). Now it’s been with the folks at CW for a full month! They claim that they’re still working with Jayco and the various individual vendors for approval to fix the issues. Someone needs to fix the RV dealer process. Consumers like us spend good money and then get stuck between Jayco/Dealer/Supplier... not a great experience at all. Love the floorplan and specifically spent the money for the Jayco quality. Many of the minor issues could have been handled before shipping the unit to the dealer. Just another couple of hours of inspection and much of the pain could be avoided. Spoke with Jayco directly and they were very good to work with yet, 1 month with my rig sitting at Camping World and not camping. Ugh.
Wow, sorry to hear about all that. We had just minor issues so far thankfully. Have taken the 29ME out at least once a month since Dec, twice in March visiting many nearby Texas state parks. The park pass is a good value. Already paid for itself a couple of times.

We had a good customer experience with Camping World in Denton, TX recently. Ordered a too large Dish network antenna online that just took up too much room in the basement. They let me take it back locally and swapped it for a much smaller one, about half size which works better and I got $160 back too!

We are making our first out of state trip in July to Colorado and NM. Looking forward to some higher elevations and lower temperatures. We are already hitting 100 in N Texas at least a month earlier than usual.

Had the rig weighed n the way home weekend before last and need to go post the numbers (they are in the cab). I think we were under on both axles however.

Good luck with the unit. Hope it is fixed quickly for y'all.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote