Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2019, 06:42 AM   #1

New Radio Install

Been having problems with the Jensen head unit that Jayco gave me with the coach. I never liked that head unit to begin with and now it was time to replace.

Ended up purchasing the Kenwood Excelon DMX706S. Background on why I went with this one:

1. Most of my vehicles now have android auto/apple car play. Navigation is part of the app. Now I don't need a navigation system built into the head unit for more things to go wrong.

2. The side view cameras on the coach were never aimed correctly to actually help with side views and looking inward toward the radio to see the side view was not my favorite. I was seeking to eliminate that function.

3. I really don't use CDs anymore and wanted an all digital unit

The process was not easy. I've been doing car stereo installs for years now (just as a hobby). The amount of wiring in the coach was a bit ovewhelming at first and not everything is labeled. I should have taken pictures.....

Our coach used the audio/video to go out to the TV over the bunk and for the rear TV in the main bedroom. If you wanted to watch a DVD, you'd have to put it in the head unit and then to watch in the bedroom. Jayco uses a line signal booster (PAC LD-10) to go to the rear of the coach. Got rid of all that wiring except for what actually goes under the coach in wire looms. The overhead bunk TV now uses a standalone blu-ray player. I was going to hook up a blu ray player for the head unit, but Crutchfield said none of their head units would play blu ray discs.

The backup and side view cameras are from Voyager and use a proprietary 4 pin cable that requires power. Most aftermarket head units do not have this input, so you need to purchase an adapter on Amazon or the like. The only trouble I still have is which wire is the reverse trigger. I couldn't figure out which one it was so I now have to manually push the cam button to see behind me. At least there is a camera button right on the front face of the head unit.

Jayco has the head unit set up to stay on as an option even if the coach is turned off (Ford key off, not main power off). We have found this is rarely used and only causes issues if the coach is not connected to power and we forget to turn off the radio as it will stay on and drain the battery.

I also purchased a USB/Aux jack to mount in one of the cigarette lighters so the USB for the radio is always easily accessible. I believe it was $15 or so.

The only side note from the process is that Jayco (probably not just them) use every different kind of connection for wiring. Some wires have just residential electrical twist on caps, there are some butt connectors (non marine grade), some were actually soldered with shrink tubing, etc. There was no standard apparently. Wires were not tied up well and quite a few RCA connections were loose and likely explains why some of my features never worked properly.

The 706S head unit actually has time alignment settings as well as level settings, so I was able to bring the sound stage up considerably and have it almost at eye level on the dashboard which is lightyears better than the old system. I did also swap out the front door speakers with direct bolt in upgrades.

The only drawback to the 706 was it did not come with a remote.

Sometime over the winter I will hook up the reverse wire so the camera is automatic.

The Jensen radio I took out was a beast and at least 3-4lbs heavier than the one I put in. I think the radio was a decent upgrade. I keep debating about adding an amplifier and a sub at some point, but with the kids watching DVD's on the long trips I just don't see the need.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:04 AM   #2

Nice write up. There are a few remotes available. The KNA-RCDV331 does everything needed. But it doesn’t turn the head unit on or off. There is also an old discontinued version, the RC-406, which can be bought on amazon. It will turn the unit off, but not on. Both of these do volume & select input.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:07 AM   #3

By the way- I swapped the door & ceiling with Excelon speakers. Sounds much better. But the bass was low- I added the KENWOOD KSC/PSW8 under the passenger seat and now it sounds really, really good. Walmart has it for $180.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeek View Post
Nice write up. There are a few remotes available. The KNA-RCDV331 does everything needed. But it doesn’t turn the head unit on or off. There is also an old discontinued version, the RC-406, which can be bought on amazon. It will turn the unit off, but not on. Both of these do volume & select input.
I may look into that. For the meantime, I will set the volume level with the bluetooth connection to my phone and control the tracks and volume that way. Only real downside to that is the key needs to be turned back to turn the HU on.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #5

Hmm, you mentioned you have to turn the key- does it not turn on when you hit the master power switch?
Old 06-27-2019, 10:05 PM   #6

We were faced with a similar fate as you... We ran into a company that sells refurbished units and I put a write up on JOF here: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ild-64024.html

We had the similar issues with the DVD player for the coach having to be inserted into the head unit... We pulled all of that BS wiring out, including the line amplifier for the audio.
Attached Thumbnails
20190627_215820.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeek View Post
Hmm, you mentioned you have to turn the key- does it not turn on when you hit the master power switch?
Not anymore. There need to be 2 power sources run to the radio for that to work. I wasn't sure which wires that was.

Its actually fine though for now. I may change it in the future.