Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2020, 12:53 PM   #1

New Redhawk owner with a couple questions...

We take delivery of my 2018 redhawk 26xd (4000 miles and 25 hours on the genset) tomorrow and have a couple questions. After looking at the 2020 31f and 2019 31xl we could not make those units work due to very limited carrying capacity. The 26xd we purchased has almost 3100 pounds of CCC and a 7500 tow rating.

Has anyone towed on the high end of the tow rating with their rigs? I have a boat that is close to the max for the rig and hope to use the redhawk when we go for a week at a time so I don't have to get a hotel room.

Our redhawk does not have self leveling system (not sure if it has manual either). Is that something that can be added and if so and rough estimates on cost? Is it a DIY install or leave it to a dealer type of thing? I have not owned an RV in 15 years and don't remember always using my jacks back then.

We really want to take some trips to the rocky mountains for ski trips and remote camping. How do the redhawks do in cold climates? I'm sure there are things I will need to add or modify to help with the trips.

We took a long break from rv's when we started our family, but now with a 15, 5 and 1 year old we are ready to get back out and show these kids the country. At least that is our plan.

Thanks in advance.
clkb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:54 PM   #2

we have a 18 RH 26XD we had auto levelers put on at the dealer well worth it we're planing on towing so watching
geowol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geowol View Post
we have a 18 RH 26XD we had auto levelers put on at the dealer well worth it we're planing on towing so watching
How do you like the rv so far? Have you used the rig in cold weather by any chance?
Old 02-05-2020, 06:39 PM   #4

I had the Greyhawk 26y (sister to yours) with 2500+ cargo. Couldn’t come close to using it though as we had 800 pounds to spare but were over the rear axle rating. That model could’ve used a longer wheelbase.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I had the Greyhawk 26y (sister to yours) with 2500+ cargo. Couldn’t come close to using it though as we had 800 pounds to spare but were over the rear axle rating. That model could’ve used a longer wheelbase.
So you ran out of rear axles
Rating before the weight capacity? I need to learn the ins and outs of the weight limits. I am going to weigh the rv in the way home and see where it is empty.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:17 PM   #6

Yes. Your rear axle is rated for 9600 pounds. As are all E450 based motorhomes. Anything between the two axles is shared by both, the ratio of which depends on how far off the middle. Anything aft of the rear axle is all on the rear, unloading the front. Think of a seesaw.

The relatively short wheelbase of the 26Y/26XD and the layout inside contribute to not being able to really use all the weight the chassis affords. There was only so much I could move forward, including the overhead bunk.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:31 PM   #7

My print out tomorrow from the scale should show rear axle weight and I will be able to figure out the difference from the max capacity. That is how much I can add to the rv. Correct?
Old 02-05-2020, 08:35 PM   #8

At the scales or close by, fill your coach up with gas.

Your math:

14500 - (rear axle weight + front axle weight) = CCC

CCC is your family, gear, food, water, sewage, etc. Essentially everything but full propane and that full tank of gas. Since you’ll be in your coach when you weigh it, you’re already included in the weight of your coach.

Your waste tanks are likely aft of the rear axle. Best advice is to keep them empty when underway as it will quickly unload your front axle and add unnecessary weight to your rear axle.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:40 PM   #9

I guess my plan to use the 7500 lb tow capacity may be out of the question.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:42 PM   #10

Depends on what you’re towing and what you weigh out at. If you’re towing a toad 4 wheels down, you’ll have more leeway.

Weigh it and see what you have. At least you have a lot on the sticker to work with, you have that much going for you.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #11

We have a redhawk 29xk and we are towing an enclosed trailer with utv and other items like aux generator. We are pulling around 5000 or a little more. You just have to be wise on cargo placement when loading rig to distribute the weight considering in your trailer tongue weight, i just figure in the max of 750 lbs. tongue weight when towing and not load heavy items in our rear storage. Towing is easy with our redhawk. And we had auto leveling jacks added by our independent shop with LCI system same as dealer recommended but way cheaper than dealer price (1000’s). Our rig is loaded up with most all goodies we need with just the sofa to be replaced with Recpro recliner later.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote