Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #1

New Redhawk Question

I am looking at a 2013 Redhawk 26 and the command center has a gauge status indicator for a inverter but the coach does not have one installed. My previous motorhomes did not have inverter (other then small one I installed for phone charging, computer etc.), would all the house outlets be wired to the inverter ?

Could I just buy and install an inverter myself ? Where is it located ? Any idea level of difficulty of job ?

Also, related question, the panel under the rear bed, is it made to come up or be removable ? i.e. would there be room for additional battery (sealed type) under the bed, or would it have to go in outside storage compartment and have wiring ran into coach ?

Thanks for any information.
bubbleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #2

To wire all the house outlets to the inverter you aym have to redo the breaker panel. Most have a separate breaker that is dedicated to the the inverter and then breakers for each circuit/outlet that the inverter feeds. If you have the inverter gauge the breaker panel may be set up to add the inverter, I would look at that to start.

With that said, to run all the outlets you would need at least a 2000 watt inverter and 4 house batteries to get power for any length of time.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #3

It really depends on how much you are willing to spend... I have a whole house inverter on my TT.. if I ever plug into shore power it will automatically shut off.. but the cheaper ones will not and things will fry if you forget to turn it off before hooking into shore power..

Remember (if you do it yourself) heavy gauge wires directly from the battery to the inverter 00 ga not 8 or 10 and a big fuse.. inline.. in this I assume you are going with a min 2000 watt inverter...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #4

I own a 2013 Redhawk 26' and the inverter runs the TV outlet in the bunk only. Not sure about other manufacturers but with the Jayco the inverter will not function when going down the road. There is a simple fix to cure that though...

As far as the battery goes there is only one and no room for another. It's the biggest issue with this unit. Otherwise we love it.
rcase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:02 AM   #5

Battery Upgrade suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleup View Post
I am looking at a 2013 Redhawk 26 and the command center has a gauge status indicator for a inverter but the coach does not have one installed. My previous motorhomes did not have inverter (other then small one I installed for phone charging, computer etc.), would all the house outlets be wired to the inverter ?

Could I just buy and install an inverter myself ? Where is it located ? Any idea level of difficulty of job ?

Also, related question, the panel under the rear bed, is it made to come up or be removable ? i.e. would there be room for additional battery (sealed type) under the bed, or would it have to go in outside storage compartment and have wiring ran into coach ?

Thanks for any information.
Bubbleup, regarding your question on battery capacity. You might want to take a look a an article that I wrote for Motorhome Magazine recently published. Here is the link. It may be a little radical for a brand new motorhome buy I took a chance with my 2007 and it has worked very well. Thanks, Larry
http://www.motorhome.com/rv-how-to/u...mple-retrofit/
Old 03-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #6

I have a Redhawk 26XS. The inverter is in the corner of the rear queen bed. The TV doesn't work with the engine on because of a relay on the back of the plug where the TV plugs into. There is a wire running to the relay that cuts it off. You can disconnect this wire or run the a/c wires from the top of the relay to the bottom. Take off the receptacle to you see the relay. Make your coach power is off when you do.
Jayco did this for safety, I don't know why, you can't see the TV when driving.

Don, Lake Elsinore California
Jayco 2013 Redhawk 26XS
Ford 2012 E450 V10
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote