Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #21

We love our new Seneca....I think I am just annoyed more than anything. When it comes to RV’s they are all mass produced and basically a box in a constant earthquake going down the road and are going to have problems here or there unless you get into the high dollar stuff. Luckily I am a DIYer and find it easier to just fix it myself instead of dealing with taking it to a dealer. Unless it’s a major problem, just start making a list for when you do take it into a dealer.

I think a big part of my frustration is we had a Winnebago motorhome before for 10 years and never had a single problem. I was also used to any information I needed was always online for download from wiring diagrams, parts catalogs and manuals. I went round and round with Jayco CS for info on where to drill for the dryer vent, they were insisting I take it to a dealer.

Rustynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #22

I have owned multiple motorhomes going back close to 30 yrs. Most were low mileage used but 3 have been new. With any vehicle this complex and all manufacturers trying to meet a price point sometimes their decisions may not be the best choice. I believe the screw issue falls in that category. Self drilling screws are a good candidate for breakage especially when used on metal to metal attachments with high speed air or electric power tools.
Having said that they can be a pain but not a major problem. Fortunately almost all of the failures were brackets where 2 fasteners were used and a visual inspection can point out locations where 1 fastener has popped.
I would buy my Seneca again without hesitation. I should have researched this forum and I would have been a lot better prepared for a pre delivery inspection.
You will certainly have some minor issues come up but you can avoid some problems
by a thorough reading of all of the manuals and books that will come with the unit. Do not be afraid to talk to the dealer about anything you do not understand. I have found Jayco tech support helpful and have contacted the component supplier direct on several issues.
My experience has been the majority of problems are on the "home" side not the "motor" side. I will admit I always pack a small tool kit (pliers, screwdrivers, wrench assortment and multimeter)etc. Most of the time this is not needed but be prepared.

Good luck!
Harbour35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #23

The Jayco stuff I've had to fix on our rig pale in comparison to the stupid stuff I've done to it operating it! Have taken it all in stride and always enjoy opening the door to the outdoors despite it all.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote