Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2020, 09:21 PM   #1

New Seneca roof crack...

Well I was inspecting the roof tonight of our BRAND NEW Seneca and found a crack in the fiberglass roof along the edge above the awning...

I filled it with some silicone sealant for now since I don't know what else to do and I can't really express how frustrated and disappointed I am... Can I even still use the rig? I sure hope so... We've got a trip planned this weekend.

Thanks,
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
0F3B826F-4A7A-4FAC-AC61-78559697B76E.jpg  
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:32 PM   #2

I would put some Dicor roof sealant on it to keep the interior safe from any possible water damage. I would go on the vacation and enjoy it with family. Then I would take it back to the dealership and press them to do something about it. Take a couple of pictures of it before applying the sealant, that way you can show the dealership what's under the sealant. The sealant can easily be removed by the dealership when they go about causing a repair. Sorry about the horrible start. Once the initial frustration passes, I believe it'll be more an inconvenience with regards to how long they keep it to repair it. At least with a good application of the sealant, the coach can be used, and the damage it out of view. While on vacation, give your coach a very thorough once or twice over. Good Luck, and Happy Trails!
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:27 AM   #3

Agree put dicor on, set an appointment for an inspection and use the rig. I have notice that the edge of these are pretty soft and flex. It looks like someone stepped on it or a branch dropped on it.
Since it is the beginning of camping season I would ask the dealer to inspect it to confirm it is damage not something serious structurally and then set an appointment for the winter to get it fixed. Dicor it and use the heck out of it.

In the future dont use silicon sealants on your unit, while it makes a good sealant it make future repairs difficult. In this case they will have to apply fiberglass and gel coat and will be sanding it down anyway so no problem. However if you apply silicon sealant to areas that flex like the picture frame around the slides, silicon will not adhere to old silicon and gets difficult to repair
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:46 AM   #4

Good to know on silicon, I just sort of panicked.... I'll find some dicor and clean up (by clean up I mean remove it as best as I can) my silicon job and then put dicor on it not to mention the inspection and all of that. Appreciate the reassurances. I totally get that things happen and being this isn't my first RV I shouldn't have been so negative about it but such is life.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-28-2020, 12:39 PM   #5

My repairing Dealer uses a product made by Geocel called Pro Flex. Just an alternative to Dicor.
Martigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martigg View Post
My repairing Dealer uses a product made by Geocel called Pro Flex. Just an alternative to Dicor.

x2.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #7

Best thing to do is, is drill a tiny hole (1/16" or smaller) at each end of crack. This will stop the crack from migrating any further. Then seal it and keep an eye on it, until you get in for warranty work. My preference is eternabond.

Personally, I would not let that small crack keep me from my adventures. Might even try to schedule the repair off season when they are not as busy and you do not miss out on any summer trips.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Best thing to do is, is drill a tiny hole (1/16" or smaller) at each end of crack. This will stop the crack from migrating any further. .
This may be a great tip for later but since its under warranty don't drill anything. The last think you need is problems at the dealer or with Jayco because you drilled into it, let the dealer fix it.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
This may be a great tip for later but since its under warranty don't drill anything. The last think you need is problems at the dealer or with Jayco because you drilled into it, let the dealer fix it.
Number of people have commented that after they spoke with the dealer, they agreed with drilling the holes to stop the crack, until the repair could be made. Just make sure to have pictures, prior to drilling.

Long enough piece of Eternabond would help to in case the crack grows, and give support to keep it from growing.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Number of people have commented that after they spoke with the dealer, they agreed with drilling the holes to stop the crack, until the repair could be made. Just make sure to have pictures, prior to drilling.

Long enough piece of Eternabond would help to in case the crack grows, and give support to keep it from growing.
The dealer is not an authorized representative of Jayco. The dealer does not authorize repairs. The dealer performs repairs authorized by Jayco. Talk to Jayco and send them pictures if necessary. Have Jayco authorize drilling the holes if that is what is recommended.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:23 PM   #11

Silicone is the enemy of the RV world. Remove it using Goo Gone(be patient) and never use it again on the exterior of the MH. Always remember nothing sticks to silicone, not even silicone.
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #12

Dicor is some amazing stuff... Silicon removed, won't use again, and that self leveling dicor amazed my wife and I...

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
The dealer is not an authorized representative of Jayco. The dealer does not authorize repairs. The dealer performs repairs authorized by Jayco. Talk to Jayco and send them pictures if necessary. Have Jayco authorize drilling the holes if that is what is recommended.

x2. I totally agree.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:41 PM   #14

I use Geocel ProFlex on everything but the roof
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #15

Geocel ProFlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
x2.
ProFlex is wonderful stuff, but don’t use it on rubber roofs. Always use Dicor Self-leveling Sealant there. I use ProFlex everywhere else.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:07 PM   #16

Take pics, seal it, and contact dealer! Likely can be replaced at end of season.
Kwarstler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:23 PM   #17

Oh... And one more thing I should have mentioned. Always carry at least one extra Dicor sealer tube and an application gun with your coach. If it doesn't come in handy for you on the fly with repair work to your coach, you might be a Godsend to someone else in need of a quick roof patch-up job. Enjoy your coach and this camping season!!!!!!!!! Happy Trails
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:50 PM   #18

During a tour of the factory on my second visit to Jayco Service the guide told me how critical it was to get pieces of foam in the right place to prevent this exact issue. Then he explained how they slapped them together to get paid more! Hmmm?
Old 06-07-2020, 01:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot View Post
ProFlex is wonderful stuff, but don’t use it on rubber roofs. Always use Dicor Self-leveling Sealant there. I use ProFlex everywhere else.

You didn't read the OP's post. They have a fiberglass roof not a rubber roof.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:10 PM   #20

My guess is that something hit the rolled edge or a ladder was layed up against the rolled edge. From where the black paint line starts at the beginning of the roll there is nothing supporting it underneath, they roll it over and it is held down by the awning rail. So if force is applied to the rolled part, it could buckle it up causing the crack. Had the exact same thing happen on our old Winnebago as it is built the same way. I sealed it with dicor and it never leaked at all in the 12 years we had it.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote