Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #1

New Shocks

I have a 2009 Greyhawk 31SS decided to install Bilstein's, coach has about 27k on the clock, what a pain the rears not bad to remove except working around the exhaust on passenger side, drivers side rear was easiest. The fronts another matter, ended cutting them off with a sawzall. Front very tight on drivers side but found the right tool to tighten the shock ended up using a 3/4 wrench to hold the top nut and in my tool box a old wrench called a urban 2000 kind of like a self griping pipe wrench I turned the lower nut on the on the shock cover put a little lub on the rubber so it would turn easier. Still a job I was worn out in the end. The drivers rear shock was bent in the middle was hanging up on half travel and the driver front compressed would not return sure made a difference in the ride.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:46 AM   #2

I've got a 2016 Redhawk 26X1. I had Henderson's replace the shocks. They recommended a Koni FSD shock so that's what I went with. The new shocks are amazing as they have settled the handling down. The mechanic said the standard shocks are no better than you would find in a Chev delivery van. Can't say enough good things about Henderson's and the Koni shocks.
mcole9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcole9 View Post
I've got a 2016 Redhawk 26X1. I had Henderson's replace the shocks. They recommended a Koni FSD shock so that's what I went with. The new shocks are amazing as they have settled the handling down. The mechanic said the standard shocks are no better than you would find in a Chev delivery van. Can't say enough good things about Henderson's and the Koni shocks.
I'm considering replacing the OEM shocks with the Koni FSD as well. Do you feel like they improved the ride quality much? I've already replaced the sway bars and added a trac bar so the handling is good now but I'd like to improve the ride quality.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #4

Yes, they did improve the handling. No bouncing or porpoising over the large bumps and and smooth over the small bumps. Really good and we noticed the difference right away.

Did you notice the difference with the Trac Bar??
mcole9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcole9 View Post
Yes, they did improve the handling. No bouncing or porpoising over the large bumps and and smooth over the small bumps. Really good and we noticed the difference right away.

Did you notice the difference with the Trac Bar??
I did. It really got rid of the side to side motion of trucks passing. I really notice the difference when towing the jeep. I used to feel the jeep pulling the rear end around when a truck passed and then the coach. It got very tiring fast. Having the axle locked to the frame really made it a lot more solid.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote