Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2021, 07:46 PM   #1

new sway bar bolts snapped off and nut plates stripped

so i took it upon myself to remove and install my new huge front sway bar....WHAT WAS I THINKEN? broke 1 of the big bolts clean off only a tiny bit sticking out, head snapped off, completely....

this thing did not come with new nuts, just end links (driver side end link has about ¼" space between it and the spring, passenger side is a good ½" clearance, odd)

both rear mount nut plates completely stripped....no threads left....cannot get to them inside of where they are....

what the heck do i do now??? how can u even get in there? are there some kind of nut plates that can be pressed in?

2018 jayco greyhawk 29mv
J2048b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:36 PM   #2

You can use a stud remover pictured below. You drill a small hole in the center of the stud where the head sheared off. These stud remover has reverse threads that bite into the stud while turning counter-clockwise on your drill to spin it out.

You can add new threads using tap and die set. You may need to use a wider bolt after you tap in new threads.

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	StudRemover.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	70969[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Tap.jpg  
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
You can use a stud remover pictured below. You drill a small hole in the center of the stud where the head sheared off. These stud remover has reverse threads that bite into the stud while turning counter-clockwise on your drill to spin it out.

You can add new threads using tap and die set. You may need to use a wider bolt after you tap in new threads.

[ATTACH]Attachment 70969[/ATTACH]
thank you, this was the plan except, im slow...and if i can break a bolt off, im pretty sure i can ruin whats left of the hole hahaha....plus there isnt much room to make a bigger bolt fit, im hoping to find some nutplates that can pull thru and extend...saw a few places at work that do this, just cannot remember the name of the nutplates, nor if anyone happens to have them them sizes id need

so im going to a buddies work tomorrow so he can set me up with the correct stuff...wish me luck, cause i need some of that pronto
Old 05-02-2021, 10:50 PM   #4

pics of said bolt
Attached Thumbnails
broken bolt 2 sway bar.jpeg   broken bolt in sway bar.jpeg  
Old 05-02-2021, 11:06 PM   #5

I think you'll be ok just extracting the sheared bolt. I think the threads are still intact.
If you can remove the bolt from the opposite side, take it to a hardware store to match the size/diameter/pitch of the bolt and a pair of grade 8 bolts so they will never shear off again.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
I think you'll be ok just extracting the sheared bolt. I think the threads are still intact.
If you can remove the bolt from the opposite side, take it to a hardware store to match the size/diameter/pitch of the bolt and a pair of grade 8 bolts so they will never shear off again.
i already matched all the bolts, then stripped the smaller holes using the new bolts...
Old 05-03-2021, 01:59 AM   #7

��
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:42 AM   #8

Ever used a torque wrench?

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:54 AM   #9

I have to tell you, I also Put the new thick sway bar on our 2017 29MV 450 chassis and it is very very easy to strip or thread in incorrect due to the chassis thickness is only (est) 3mm thick which equals 2-3 threads catching. The only solution after stripped threads was to put bolt in from the top that fit in the diameter and put nut from the bottom.

Ted Littleton,co
Tgroves526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #10

I stripped that infamous bolt hole as well. Many different solutions including dropping a bolt in from top, but access can be tricky.

I used a "Nut-sert" and matching bolt to get the job done as those were the tools I had access to at the time. I used a step-bit to open up the hole to accommodate the nut-sert.

I chose NOT to try to tap new threads because as mentioned previously, the thickness of the frame wall was not enough for me to be comfortable with that.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
Mine stripped before I ever had a chance to touch the torque wrench. It's VERY common with this particular installation.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-03-2021, 11:07 AM   #12

Quote:
21 years of aircraft maintenance with the United States Air Force....that there answers your question...

i never even got to that part of this installation...
Old 05-03-2021, 11:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I stripped that infamous bolt hole as well. Many different solutions including dropping a bolt in from top, but access can be tricky.

I used a "Nut-sert" and matching bolt to get the job done as those were the tools I had access to at the time. I used a step-bit to open up the hole to accommodate the nut-sert.

I chose NOT to try to tap new threads because as mentioned previously, the thickness of the frame wall was not enough for me to be comfortable with that.
thank you for this reply...where did u get ur nut serts? thats what ive been trying to find...
Old 05-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgroves526 View Post
I have to tell you, I also Put the new thick sway bar on our 2017 29MV 450 chassis and it is very very easy to strip or thread in incorrect due to the chassis thickness is only (est) 3mm thick which equals 2-3 threads catching. The only solution after stripped threads was to put bolt in from the top that fit in the diameter and put nut from the bottom.

Ted Littleton,co
if i had that option to put the bolt in from a different loacation, i never would hve posted this...it is totally encased...i have about 3-4 small triangle holes i cant even get my pinky into and thats it
Old 05-03-2021, 12:01 PM   #15

Quote:

yes - and what does that have to do with his problem?
Old 05-03-2021, 12:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2048b View Post
if i had that option to put the bolt in from a different loacation, i never would hve posted this...it is totally encased...i have about 3-4 small triangle holes i cant even get my pinky into and thats it
I had seen some videos of the installation of a front hitch receiver where they removed the front bumper that exposed the open channels of the frame looking from the front of the vehicle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	70987
Old 05-03-2021, 01:07 PM   #17

Quote:
thank you for this reply...where did u get ur nut serts? thats what ive been trying to find...
I got mine from Fastenal. But they don't "sell to the public" any more from what I understand. I don't have an account there, but I have several clients who do. This was when they first started doing that, so the guy let me buy the nutserts. I only went there because I needed it RFN, and I was relatively sure they would have it; didn't need to be wasting time driving all over town trying to find this thing.

I think I have a couple left at home in a bag in my tool box. I'll try to remember to get the part number/size off them. I didn't even consider that when I got them, I just knew the rough size of the hole, knew I was going to drill it out, so I picked up the one that fit that bill (let's say "close enough for government work"). I couldn't get a bolt from Fastenal that day, so I ran across the street to Home Depot and picked up a bolt just long enough, and the right diameter/thread pitch to fit the nut-sert, and a few washers for good measure. I want to say it was 3/8" though...

Sorry, I just did a search on Amazon, and I should be using the term "Riv-nut" I think. But it seems they're somewhat interchangeable?

Here's a link to my Amazon search: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nut+sert&ref=nb_sb_noss

Mine was ribbed (knurled, sorry) and zinc coated IIRC.

I did not use a special nutsert/rivnut tool as I had a "tool" leftover from an install of a tailgate damper install on my Ram pickup. It was basically a washer with bearings in it so you put the bolt in with this "washer", crank down the bolt to "smush" the rivnut, then take the bolt and washer out and install your bracket.

I'm not sure where you could source these locally, but if I couldn't get it from Fastenal (or similar), I'd check out the "specialty fasteners" cabinet at Home Depot (or wherever) and see if you can find one there. They're used often in the automotive aftermarket too, so perhaps an auto parts store? They might even have a riv-nut tool you could rent/borrow.

FWIW, I had the same issue with accessing the inside of the frame there. And while I COULD have taken the front bumper off and possibly gained access that way, what I did ended up being MUCH easier. If I couldn't have sourced a rivnut that day, I MAY have ended up taking off the bumper...?

ETA: Oreilly might help you: https://www.oreillyauto.com/search?q=nutsert

My local store doesn't have them in stock.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-03-2021, 01:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I got mine from Fastenal. But they don't "sell to the public" any more from what I understand. I don't have an account there, but I have several clients who do. This was when they first started doing that, so the guy let me buy the nutserts. I only went there because I needed it RFN, and I was relatively sure they would have it; didn't need to be wasting time driving all over town trying to find this thing.

I think I have a couple left at home in a bag in my tool box. I'll try to remember to get the part number/size off them. I didn't even consider that when I got them, I just knew the rough size of the hole, knew I was going to drill it out, so I picked up the one that fit that bill (let's say "close enough for government work"). I couldn't get a bolt from Fastenal that day, so I ran across the street to Home Depot and picked up a bolt just long enough, and the right diameter/thread pitch to fit the nut-sert, and a few washers for good measure. I want to say it was 3/8" though...

Sorry, I just did a search on Amazon, and I should be using the term "Riv-nut" I think. But it seems they're somewhat interchangeable?

Here's a link to my Amazon search: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=nut+sert&ref=nb_sb_noss

Mine was ribbed (knurled, sorry) and zinc coated IIRC.

I did not use a special nutsert/rivnut tool as I had a "tool" leftover from an install of a tailgate damper install on my Ram pickup. It was basically a washer with bearings in it so you put the bolt in with this "washer", crank down the bolt to "smush" the rivnut, then take the bolt and washer out and install your bracket.

I'm not sure where you could source these locally, but if I couldn't get it from Fastenal (or similar), I'd check out the "specialty fasteners" cabinet at Home Depot (or wherever) and see if you can find one there. They're used often in the automotive aftermarket too, so perhaps an auto parts store? They might even have a riv-nut tool you could rent/borrow.

FWIW, I had the same issue with accessing the inside of the frame there. And while I COULD have taken the front bumper off and possibly gained access that way, what I did ended up being MUCH easier. If I couldn't have sourced a rivnut that day, I MAY have ended up taking off the bumper...?

ETA: Oreilly might help you: https://www.oreillyauto.com/search?q=nutsert

My local store doesn't have them in stock.
many thanks for this detailed reply...i have a fastenal local, went there, and called them, they wont sell to me unless i have someone contracted with them....

went by oreilly, they were lost....autozone, same thing, napa, not a clue hahaha, i went by 1 auto body shop/mechanic shop, they only do exhaust now.... and everyone else doesn't have the space...

so both bolts taken out were a big 14-2.0 and a 10-1.5 both metric, im having a hard time finding a rivet nut big enough for the main big bolts tbh.... the smaller one no prob...

i may have to just get that bumper removed and get a long wrench in there to connect nuts, because no one around me has any idea what im talking about when i say rivet nut....

thanks i will search thru both oreilly link and amazon links, im just stuck because i dont see a rivet nut big enough for the bigger bolts...

going to home depot to ask if they have any, and tractor supply maybe?
Old 05-03-2021, 02:38 PM   #19

Quote:
many thanks for this detailed reply...i have a fastenal local, went there, and called them, they wont sell to me unless i have someone contracted with them....

went by oreilly, they were lost....autozone, same thing, napa, not a clue hahaha, i went by 1 auto body shop/mechanic shop, they only do exhaust now.... and everyone else doesn't have the space...

so both bolts taken out were a big 14-2.0 and a 10-1.5 both metric, im having a hard time finding a rivet nut big enough for the main big bolts tbh.... the smaller one no prob...

i may have to just get that bumper removed and get a long wrench in there to connect nuts, because no one around me has any idea what im talking about when i say rivet nut....

thanks i will search thru both oreilly link and amazon links, im just stuck because i dont see a rivet nut big enough for the bigger bolts...

going to home depot to ask if they have any, and tractor supply maybe?
In my experience at HD or Tractor Supply, you're pretty much on your own. They may have one, but you'll have to find it yourself unless you just so happen to run into the right guy/gal who's been working there forever and knows a thing or two. Same thing with auto parts. Back in the day, I worked for Oreilly. I was pretty good with GENERAL parts/repair knowledge, and I tried to learn as much as I possibly could. But there were guys there who could walk up and grab the right part off the shelf without even looking for the part number, and for obscure stuff too. There was even a guy I worked with who modded Jeeps (I'm pretty sure he worked there for the discount), and could tell you the exact part number for a specific U-joint depending on how the Jeep was configured. That was back in the days when even "parts jokeys" gave at least some care to their work. Nowadays, that's just a "job" for most; they're there to collect a check, less concern is given to "improving their craft".

I live in a fairly rural community. LOTS of the old farmers/machinists/mechanics will go work for a big-box just to earn some scratch, or get health insurance. So sometimes I'll literally look for the oldest, gnarliest dude I can find who's an employee. Sometimes that works, 'cause around here, that dude has probably seen a thing or two. But being in a small community also somewhat limits my access to parts/supplies I might need at a moment's notice, and oftentimes I'm not willing to take the chance to drive 30-45 minutes to another city on the chance they might have what I'm looking for.

FWIW, I think you can still order parts from Fastenal online and go pick them up without having a commercial account there. If nothing else, there are a few online retailers (even Amazon) where you could get it pretty quick I think. You might also try asking at a truck shop (like someone who installs lifts and accessories on trucks), or perhaps a body shop?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 05-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #20

When I put the bigger front sway bar on the redhawk 24b I had problems also. The threads crossed on me. I was able to retap the threads and make it work.
On the Greyhawk 29MV I decided I was not going to do that again. I put Sumosprings on the front instead of the bigger sway bar. I have no complaints, they seem to be doing good.

I was going to put the Roadmaster Steering stabilizer on but was unable to find one in stock. So I decided to go with Save T Plus. When I found out you had to remove the sway bar bracket I returned the mountain bracket and got the Roadmaster bracket. So far it is working good.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote