Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2024, 10:05 AM   #1

New to forum with question about front snatch strap placement

I have read many Jayco threads and the help was great. Question I have is this. Planning on a Trip to the Glamis Dunes in March with my Greyhawk towing my SXS. I have gone a couple times before in past years but only as a guest and not with my RV. I am trying to figure out an emergency Attachment point on the front for my Kinetic Recovery rope. Any ideas would be appreciated. Scott.
Texomascott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 11:05 AM   #2

If you plan to RV in an area often where you may need a tow, I would install a front receiver and bring a tow hook to slide into the front (or rear) receiver. Short of that, I would bring a shovel (in case it is needed) and an additional strap and connect to the frame cross member just above the I-Beams and keep the tow strap as low as possible. ~CA
Old 01-17-2024, 11:20 AM   #3

Thx.

Shovel holder built into SXS trailer. I hope to not need it but Glamis is always changing. With a group of 10 others parking at wash 10 for a week have lots of help if needed. I like the crossmember idea due to not a lot of time spent in dunes. Front hitch $$ for hopefully not needing to use it. I use Rv mostly in Arkansas and Rocky trail riding areas due to living a bit north of Dallas. Have found my kinetic snatch rope works well for folks I have pulled out of mud with my 4x4 pickup Thanks for answer!!
Old 01-17-2024, 12:32 PM   #4

I miss Glamis a lot as we have gotten out of the off road scene. We had a group that would go every Thanksgiving to Mammoth Wash or Glamis itself. I have camped there in an Econoline van, 2 different campers, and since late 2016, my Greyhawk. Probably 40 years of dry camping there.

So, I can give a lot of recommendations regarding camping there.

1. I installed a front receiver hitch on the Greyhawk as there is no tow connection point down there. Used it a couple of times. Have a very strong tow strap and go with someone who has a vehicle that can help you when stuck.

2. Recommend that you air down your tires to better float over the sand and lessen the chance of getting stuck, which you will end up doing as no matter how experienced one is at driving in that sand, you will get stuck.

3. If you can air down, take a small 120 volt compressor with you to air back up. You don't need a big one with wheels but don't get a little hand unit as it would take forever and may burn it up. You will also need an air hose to reach all tires and an accurate pressure gauge. I recommend a digital one that is attached to the air chuck.

4. A small inverter generator is a great purchase to keep your battery topped off. If you run the heater at night, your battery will be very low come morning. It is much better to use a small 2k generator compared to the 4k big one - less fuel, quieter, less wear and tear on big generator which costs a lot to service.

5. Conserve water. Use minimal water for washing dishes and showering. You have a limited amount of fresh water and holding tank space. You can take extra jugs to refill the tank but you still have to contend with the holding tank volume. Grey fills up pretty easily while black is usually OK. If you have an on-demand water heater you will waste a lot of water just to use hot water. You can't dump your tanks in the sand as it would be a very expensive ticket.

6. If you haul it in, haul it back out. Don't leave trash in the dunes. If you go down the wash road by the Glamis store there are trash bins there to dump into.

7. Use paper plates & cups to minimize items requiring dish washing.

8. No matter how much stuff you haul in, food, tools, supplies, you will probably forget something. Be prepared with a "next trip" wish list that you will add to on every trip. I have a spreadsheet of items to load, service, repair, etc. that I print out before every trip. You will never remember everything without something like this.

These are thoughts off the top of my head. I may send another post adding to my recommendations. Wash 10 was our favorite spot. If you don't trek in too far, you lessen your chances of getting stuck. Glamis can be a lot of fun, more so on off weekends. Have a great time!

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 07:10 AM   #5

great helpful thread, thanks for reply. Since retirement my bucket list has grown Glamis is on the list. lol
Old 01-18-2024, 07:54 AM   #6

Also I do have a small 50 watt solar charger/maintainer that does a far job keeping house side charged up weather permitting. How low do you suggest dropping pressure to. I guess I can stop at wash 1 next to beach store to air down and back up when I leave. At least we are doing a Monday thru Saturday so crowds should be ok. Went 1 time as a guest with BIL on Hallowen weekend, complete mayhem NUTS.
Old 05-26-2024, 06:06 PM   #7

Exclamation Snatch straps kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texomascott View Post
I have read many Jayco threads and the help was great. Question I have is this. Planning on a Trip to the Glamis Dunes in March with my Greyhawk towing my SXS. I have gone a couple times before in past years but only as a guest and not with my RV. I am trying to figure out an emergency Attachment point on the front for my Kinetic Recovery rope. Any ideas would be appreciated. Scott.
Snatch straps will break, receivers will pull out, anything in the tow setup can and will fail.
So, be safe. If you must be towed from the front, do not remain in your rig. Do not remain in your rig. If if the snatch strap comes loose from the towing vehicle it snap back towards you with tremendous energy. Whatever broke loose from the towing will have huge momentum, smash through the of your rig, possibly striking anyone in that area.
Tragedies have occurred. Do not remain in your rig when being towed from the front,
JimLaJoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 06:16 PM   #8

Thumbs up One more tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I miss Glamis a lot as we have gotten out of the off road scene. We had a group that would go every Thanksgiving to Mammoth Wash or Glamis itself. I have camped there in an Econoline van, 2 different campers, and since late 2016, my Greyhawk. Probably 40 years of dry camping there.

So, I can give a lot of recommendations regarding camping there.

1. I installed a front receiver hitch on the Greyhawk as there is no tow connection point down there. Used it a couple of times. Have a very strong tow strap and go with someone who has a vehicle that can help you when stuck.

2. Recommend that you air down your tires to better float over the sand and lessen the chance of getting stuck, which you will end up doing as no matter how experienced one is at driving in that sand, you will get stuck.

3. If you can air down, take a small 120 volt compressor with you to air back up. You don't need a big one with wheels but don't get a little hand unit as it would take forever and may burn it up. You will also need an air hose to reach all tires and an accurate pressure gauge. I recommend a digital one that is attached to the air chuck.

4. A small inverter generator is a great purchase to keep your battery topped off. If you run the heater at night, your battery will be very low come morning. It is much better to use a small 2k generator compared to the 4k big one - less fuel, quieter, less wear and tear on big generator which costs a lot to service.

5. Conserve water. Use minimal water for washing dishes and showering. You have a limited amount of fresh water and holding tank space. You can take extra jugs to refill the tank but you still have to contend with the holding tank volume. Grey fills up pretty easily while black is usually OK. If you have an on-demand water heater you will waste a lot of water just to use hot water. You can't dump your tanks in the sand as it would be a very expensive ticket.

6. If you haul it in, haul it back out. Don't leave trash in the dunes. If you go down the wash road by the Glamis store there are trash bins there to dump into.

7. Use paper plates & cups to minimize items requiring dish washing.

8. No matter how much stuff you haul in, food, tools, supplies, you will probably forget something. Be prepared with a "next trip" wish list that you will add to on every trip. I have a spreadsheet of items to load, service, repair, etc. that I print out before every trip. You will never remember everything without something like this.

These are thoughts off the top of my head. I may send another post adding to my recommendations. Wash 10 was our favorite spot. If you don't trek in too far, you lessen your chances of getting stuck. Glamis can be a lot of fun, more so on off weekends. Have a great time!
Here is an old trick for getting unstuck. It is for getting unstuck, not for turning your rig into an off road vehicle/
I just used this in Canyonlands last week.
When stuck, notice that usually only one wheel is spinning. The differential does this, don't ask me why.
If you step on the brake your differential will "see" that there is traction at both wheels (the brakes are providing the "traction") and the differential will send power to both wheels. Be gentle and you may back out easily.
Do not use the emergency brake for this as many emergency or parking brakes do not apply friction to the wheel brakes. Use the foot brake.
Read the other good tips, above, regarding lowering tire pressure.
JimLaJoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 06:47 PM   #9

Get two soft shackles and a kinetic rope. Put soft shacked around one of the a arms and kinetic rope to pull you out. NOT a tow strap, if you try it with anything other than kinetic rope, you will probably damage your vehicle or the one trying to pull you out.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote