Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2016, 07:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
One place I always check is the local Better Business Bureau to see if any and how many complaints have been filed, and have they been resolved.
Thanks, I did that and the RV dealers review site, looking good on both counts. Thought it might help to hear of a personal experience. Thanks agaon for replying.

Nighthawk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:21 AM   #12

Redhawk 26XD test drive

Finally got a chance to drive the Redhawk 26XD, first RV, even the wife took for a spin. I think this is the one, dealer is being very understanding of a Newbie and not pressuring the sale. Did suggest awning on the two slide outs to keep debris from being pushed in during retraction. It will take some adjustment to be so dependent on the side view mirrors any advantage to the camera's as an extra? Thoughts? PS any suggestions on GPS/RV?

Old 04-29-2016, 07:29 AM   #13

So far they have been a pleasure to deal with no pressure answering all questions and have made the unit available for test driving both wife and If the price is right I believe I will go with this dealer. Stilllike to hear from anyone that has purchased from this dealer...
Old 04-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #14

One thing you can do if you have any local campgrounds, is take a slow drive through the park. Look for units that have one of the local dealer decals on them. Good way to get personal opinions. I have not met anyone yet that does not like talking about their unit and dealer if they have had positive experiences. Sounds to me like your dealer is being very positive in their reactions with you. IF you are happy with them, that is what counts!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #15

My personal opinion is that it is worth having a personal relationship with a local dealer. Let's face it, regardless of the build quality, you are going to have some issues with an RV and unless you are real comfortable fixing things yourself you will be making trips to a dealer.

Emergency repairs while on the road can be handled by probably any dealer, but those nagging little one's that are not trip breakers are the one's I'm talking about.

With that said there is a limit of what I would spend to establish this relationship as well, but if your local dealer is within a few thousand of the next option I tend to buy local. I have purchased 5 RV's in the last twenty years starting with a pop-up, each of them have been from the same person at the same dealership. The young guy who we bought that pop-up from years ago is now gray haired, sitting in the owners seat, and as we are looking at a new Eagle fifth wheel I will be purchasing it from him. The journey has not been perfect, I have had issues with every trailer I purchased but in the end the dealership either got it taken care of from the manufacturer or absorbed it. One particular issue with a stuck slide, the dealer got in his truck on a weekend, drove a hundred fifty miles with his tech and helped me get the stuck slide in and did it with a smile. Another time was a medical emergency that required us to leave and he sent a tow vehicle and got our rig home for us. Not every dealer is going to do that, probably very few, but all I'm trying to say is that there is value to finding the right dealer and that it's hard to put a price on the service.

It's kind of like owning a 4WD truck... you don't really need it most of the time until you REALLY need it.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #16

Glad you liked the Redhawk. Like I said before, the addition of the sofa just makes it so much more attractive over the 23XD. I negotiated the addition of the slide covers as part of the sale (also a spare tire and mount) and I'm very happy that I did. I wish I had also included the thermostat-operated fan in the vents but that's a potential future mod project.

The side mirrors give you pretty good visibility and I don't have too many blind spots. I just try to avoid sudden lane changes and use turn signals to give others plenty of warning. I thought I'd like side cameras also but there are lots of forum posts here with both pros and cons. The first true shakedown comes next week with a trip to Disney's Fort Wilderness.

As for GPS/RV, I think I'll try my iPhone since can leave it plugged in with one USB and two 12v outlets in the cab. With a little route planning, I should be able to get by and avoid clearance and weight concerns.

I know this is entirely a matter of preference, but drive the Chevy chassis if your dealer has access to one. I drove both the Ford and Chevy before buying and I liked the Chevy over the Ford. The handling was better, the steering was tighter, the vehicle had a more car-like feel and the Ford felt more like a...well, U-Haul box truck. I thought it was noisier and the doghouse was a tiny bit roomier in the Chevy (I could move my feet between the seat and the engine compartment more easily). The acceleration was about the same for both. The Ford was still a nice unit, but I just preferred the feel and handling of the Chevy.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #17

Over the past 20 years I have purchased 2 units from the Myers family, owners of Apache Village. They are top notch and first class all the way as far as I'm concerned.
Good luck
Jr
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #18

Somewhere I read that it is good to go into the service department and talk with customers that are leaving - just sit in a chair or wait for them outside the door to ask them questions about service and their buying experiences. I have never done this, but it sounds like a good plan. Similar to what you are asking here, but more stalking in person involved

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #19

Smile New Owner

It's official I've ordered a Jayco 2016 Redhawk 26XD. Followed a lot of the advice on this forum and other RV forums, I think I've made the right first choice and it's with a local dealer.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:35 PM   #20

Went with Apache Village, ordered a 2016 Redhawk 26XD, thinkit will be a good first choice!

Tags
jayco dealers, mo., redhawk 26xd