Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2016, 07:56 AM   #1

Smile New to RVing thinking Redhawk 26XD

Just retired was looking at Class A's Thor, but now leaning toward Class C and Jayco, they seem to be a bit higher quality. Would like to make my first buy like most 3rd buys.....
Your thoughts and input would be appreciated

Nighthawk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:20 AM   #2

I personally like the layout of the 26XD. If they made it in a Greyhawk flavor I probably would have bought it.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:03 AM   #3

Newbie like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk65 View Post
Just retired was looking at Class A's Thor, but now leaning toward Class C and Jayco, they seem to be a bit higher quality. Would like to make my first buy like most 3rd buys.....
Your thoughts and input would be appreciated
Nighthawk - I'm in a similar situation to you; also retired less than two years ago and was considering the Melbourne and other brands based on the MBS Sprinter chassis. After test-driving the Melbourne, a Redhawk 23XD and a 26X1, I decided to go with the Redhawk 26X1. Jayco's 2 year warranty also factored largely into the decision.

As I began this search, I was most concerned with the "driveability" of the coach. I then came to realize that the "livability" of the unit was also important. The 26X1 will have space to relax, walk around, and cook (although that is low on the list) in the unit. The smaller units would require lounging at the dinette, and only from one side for TV viewing. The 26 has the couch to make for easy TV viewing and allows others to use the dinette for work space or laptops.

In driving the three units, the Melbourne felt more like an SUV; very easy to drive and pretty responsive and maneuverable. The 23XD felt a little more truck-like but I still felt comfortable in pretty short order. The 26X1 (this is the V-8 Chevy chassis) was more comfortable to me than the Ford. The steering felt tighter, suspension seemed less stiff, and the overall ride was smoother. Acceleration on the bigger 26X1 was just as good as on the smaller 23XD and I felt that I had the swing of the tail end during turns pretty much under control after a few miles.

The 26X1 also had a more attractive price than the other two units. The dealer was asking $5k less than for the 23XD and $15K less than the Melbourne. Although the diesel Melbourne would get better mileage, I estimated that the fuel cost per mile on the 26X1 would be $0.09 more per mile than the Melbourne. The break-even between the Redhawk and the Melbourne translates to almost 90k miles before the initial lower price is offset by the higher fuel consumption costs.

Picking up the new Redhawk next week after the dealer adds slide covers, spare tire and bumper mount, and a few other options. Like you, this is our first RV so I hope we've made the right decision.

Welcome to the forum!
CapeCodFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #4

Thanks, this was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Drivability is a big issue with the Dear Wife, doesn't want to feel trapped if I am not up to drivining.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I personally like the layout of the 26XD. If they made it in a Greyhawk flavor I probably would have bought it.
But you decided on the Greyhawk because?????????
Old 04-08-2016, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Toyota vs. Lexus
Ford vs. Lincoln
Honda vs. Acura

Redhawk vs. Greyhawk

We just wanted the extra goodies and creature comforts.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #7

Quote:
I went Redhawk 26 mostly due to price and size... most of the campgrounds we like up in the Sierras have length restrictions. I added the 5star tune and get about 1mpg better (V10) plus the drivability is WAY better (shift points, crusing rpm, etc) . Added sumo Springs, aligned it and adjusted the overloads properly and made all the difference in the world. we tow a 67 bronco or a 18ft enclosed full of dirtbikes. I suggest the Hydraulic levelers, most here say it's a waste but LOVE mine. The only complaint I have is propane & fresh capacities but that's just because I'm coming from a Toyhauler with huge tanks. my cousin bought the Greyhawk and loves it... I have to say the small differences in trim were nice but not enough to justify the price IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Wildhorses24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:14 AM   #8

Let us know how it goes next week, good luck!
Old 04-11-2016, 06:18 AM   #9

Smile New to RV World-Dealership Inquiry

Ready to make the "Leap" into RVing, going with Class C Jayco Redhawk 26XD. Final decision on local dealer or wholesaler. Anyone have dealings with Apache Village in Saint Louis, Mo.?
Old 04-11-2016, 07:01 AM   #10

One place I always check is the local Better Business Bureau to see if any and how many complaints have been filed, and have they been resolved.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco dealers, mo., redhawk 26xd