Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2019, 06:56 PM   #1

New to the Forum and Having Issues with My Jayco

I am new to this forum.....

I have a 2019 Greyhawk 26Y with 3000 miles on it. We have owned it for 9 months and it hs been at the dealer for 4 of those 9 months.

Issues with the side mirror cameras, the propane/electric water heater and the tank heaters.

The side mirror cameras have given us the most issues. Cameras fog over, not moisture, but the dash display clouds over when you put the turn signal on.

We have been through 6 to 8 sets of cameras and when the dealer contacted JCO home office, they pulled RVs off the line and did the same thing.

Has anyone experienced this and is this a sign of things to come for my coach. This is our retirement vehicle and really did not want to start out this way.

The dealer has been through 3 tank heaters, they won't stick on the tank and when we were bringing it in this evening for the water heater that doest work, my wife was following me and called and told me the tank heater was dragging the road.

Would like to hear of anyone experienced these issues and what was the fix.

Thanks,

77Bronc
77Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to JOF. Sorry for all the issues you are having. We have many members who hopefully can share their experiences and solutions to problems.

Glad you found us.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:40 PM   #3

So far I haven’t had these issues. As I’m taking the coach to Florida next week I’m hoping I don’t discover I do ! We shook the rig down over Columbus Day weekend - all systems worked fine.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:08 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum and hopefully you'll get your problems resolved soon.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:42 PM   #5

I don't think you are alone with the tank heaters.. Crawling under my new rig, I noticed something wadded up into a ball and zip tied to the frame, that was the tank heater for the fresh water tank. The others are starting to fall off as well.

I don't rely on the dealer to fix anything. I have a list of things wrong, I just work through them and fix them myself. Yes, it would be cool if I could bring it in and the dealer fix stuff, but that's not how it works in RV land.

The quicker you come to deal with the fact what you and I bought is junk and the dealer will only add frustration and delay to your use of the junk, and the fact you can fix the stuff as easily as the minimum wage RV "tech" with no training to fix anything, the quicker you are to enjoy your new and improved junk!

Welcome to Jayco and RV industry as a whole!
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:15 PM   #6

I have a 2018 Greyhawk 31DS, and I also have an issue with one of my sideview cameras having a clouded display (which is not moisture). I have pretty much just learned to live with it. Luckily, no other major issues with the rig. If it were me, I would hound your dealer to fix your issues in a timely manner.
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #7

The mirror cameras are a novelty and don't really add any real value. With the mirrors adjusted right, I can just look and see what's next to me vs. click on the turn signal, wait 3 seconds for the display to switch, take off my sunglasses and bend my neck down to the display to look for a car.

I have to admit, it's a good idea, but real world, not much of a value add.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
The mirror cameras are a novelty and don't really add any real value. With the mirrors adjusted right, I can just look and see what's next to me vs. click on the turn signal, wait 3 seconds for the display to switch, take off my sunglasses and bend my neck down to the display to look for a car.

I have to admit, it's a good idea, but real world, not much of a value add.
I agree with bababooey. I use mirrors, not cameras and find the turn signal cam all but useless on my 2016. The contrast on the screen is lousy and washes out with any sunlight at all. I do use the rear cam for backing and watching my toad, but for driving, I use the mirrors which on the Ford chassis are quite good.

As for problems, my first year of ownership was a full legal size pad of complaints, my second year half a page, then third year 4 or 5 items, now 2 so far for this year and so far, those were easy resolutions, so hopefully your experience will improve over time.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:28 AM   #9

i have a 2015 grey hawk , and had multiple issues with it, but have most fixed by now.
The jensen radio / cd/dvs/camera display was the worse form of technolgy.
It was changed out to a jvr9000 and am much happier.
the right camera works sometimes , but the mirrors are my go to.
greyhawktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:29 PM   #10

I have a 2017 Grayhawk 31DS and use my mirrors also. So far very few problems, we use it at least twice a month for 3day weekend camping. What dealership are you dealing with, we are from the Slidell area ( Oak Harbor ).
Ljnasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Bronc View Post
I am new to this forum.....

I have a 2019 Greyhawk 26Y with 3000 miles on it. We have owned it for 9 months and it hs been at the dealer for 4 of those 9 months.

Issues with the side mirror cameras, the propane/electric water heater and the tank heaters.

The side mirror cameras have given us the most issues. Cameras fog over, not moisture, but the dash display clouds over when you put the turn signal on.

We have been through 6 to 8 sets of cameras and when the dealer contacted JCO home office, they pulled RVs off the line and did the same thing.

Has anyone experienced this and is this a sign of things to come for my coach. This is our retirement vehicle and really did not want to start out this way.

The dealer has been through 3 tank heaters, they won't stick on the tank and when we were bringing it in this evening for the water heater that doest work, my wife was following me and called and told me the tank heater was dragging the road.

Would like to hear of anyone experienced these issues and what was the fix.

Thanks,

77Bronc
I've got the same model as you. I have also noticed the really crappy cameras. They are funny because mine are crystal clear when I firs start a trip, then seem to get cloudy over time. After about 2 hours you can't see out of them at all. I plan on asking the dealer about it, but after talking to people on facebook, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'll be using my mirrors. Which I primarily use anyway.

I haven't had issues with the tank heater, and am not even sure where that is. If you describe it to me, I'll check under there and let you know what mine is secured with and get back to you.

We used our water heater a couple weeks ago and it was good. We will use it again this weekend, so I'll let you know if we have something come up with it. Was yours not working at all? Or just electric or propane? We have only used it with propane, haven't tried electric yet.

Hope you get it resolved. So far, I love mine. It's been a lot of fun for our family.
Diesel_tke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Seems nobody wonders why they wouldn't stick, it seems heat and glue are partners. When I installed mine I installed 1/2" ply with support. Thanks are so soft they wrap around strapping when filling. Industrial workers pride is hard to find and beside even a master craftsman has to do what his order says.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:27 PM   #13

My 09 Greyhawks tank heater pads were starting to curl on the edges pulling away from the tanks good ole Eternabond tape fixed it cleaned the are good first the put tape around the edges of the heater pad
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:24 PM   #14

I'm going to jinx this, but my pads are still sticking fine. This is an issue with the adhesive and Jayco's just along for the blame.

Barring misapplication by Jayco.

My heaters are Ultraheat brand.
Jayco or not - I'd be calling them and asking what's up with the adhesive? And what I can do to reattach?
Old 04-17-2019, 04:58 AM   #15
Site Team

Read this owners simple fix to the problem. Eternabond tape

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ded-61884.html
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #16

tank heaters a wasted idea

What good are tank heaters, supposedly to help with freezing temperatures, when half the plumbing is just hanging out in the open...its a stupid gimmick that means nothing in reality.
StevWb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #17

My tank heater pads were coming off also, fixed with eternabond, that being said I have never used them . Turn cameras work well, but I don't use them either, as an old truck driver I rely on mirrors. I am thinking of diverting the 12v power from the side cameras to (blinking) LED side turn signals like I had on my truck, that would make more sense and improve safety. As I am in my 3rd year of ownership my repair list is now very small, and NOT due to any dealer help.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:49 PM   #18

We have 2019 MV. Other than slide issue right after we drove it home which our dealer fixed promptly (Owasco) we think there have been few issues. Our cameras do the same thing we just thought it was normal and my DH prefers mirrors. We have not used tank heaters as we don't really understand them. We have had issue with house battery not holding charge and many wires are left hanging under the coach we will be replacing battery and cleaning up wires when weather improves. Our only complaint really is the GPS which sounds like it has a stutter and a mouth full of marbles, and when it switches from camera back to gps it takes some time to come back. I'm sure we will find more things as we use it and hopefully us newbies with help from Google can fix them. Good luck with yours
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:19 PM   #19

Hi All! Just my 2 cents.... (is there really no cents icon on a keyboard?) Anyway, I'm just visiting your fine forum since I own a 2018 Winnebago Minni Winnie and wish I had bought a Jayco instead.... BUT, I too have fogging issues on my side cameras. They start off on a trip just fine, but get worse and worse as the trip progresses. So this is not just a Jayco thing. I've also read lots of similar stories on the other forums as well. No one has an answer that I've found. Hope your all enjoying your Jayco's and "don't worry, be happy" that you didn't buy a Winnebago.
TonyOIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #20

I have a red hawk, it’s only a couple of months old, I was checking my tank heaters and I found the pads that hold the heaters up in place were peeling off. So I cleaned them clean the area around them and I use gorilla tape and attach them back up into place before we went camping this winter. I also zip tied all the wire leads so they didn’t catch onto anything during travels. I would advise everybody to check their heaters. They are put on whit a piece of rubber with adhesive.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote