Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2020, 12:41 PM   #1

New Toad Info

Well my DW talked me into trading our Wrangler Sahara for a new Grand Cherokee. This vehicle does not seem like it is going to be as simple to hook up and drive away. The manual says you have to disconnect the - battery cable each time you tow. Not sure why (is there not a fuse you could pull instead). Also, do these vehicles have a locking steering column? For those of you with experience on towing this vehicle, what tips or tricks have you learned to make it easier (quicker) to connect and go?
txhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:08 AM   #2

For what it's worth the battery disconnect can easily be simplified. Any auto parts store will have battery disconnect switches for just a few bucks. The switch fits on the negative battery terminal, either post terminal or the bolt on type, and the cable end is then attached to the switch. To disconnect you'll have to open the hood and turn a knob. Poof, battery disconnected. Your radio and other accessories and appliances may "forget" your settings. If that's the case you'll have to reset the affected accessories. All your lights should work, powered by your MH but be sure to test. If you're towing four down you can leave the steering unlocked by simply turning the ignition on then turning the key switch back to OFF but stop before the lock position. The down side is you'll have to leave the key in the ignition. The key won't come out of the switch unless it's in the locked position. For me at least that's some serious aggravation. It may not be for you but give it some thought. I would find out why the dealer or builder instructions are to disconnect the battery. Being the committed skeptic that I am, I would ask three different people at at least two different dealerships why.

Best regards
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:41 AM   #3

Problem is the dang battery in this thing is under the front passenger seat and not that easy to get to. Also, it is a push button start, so no key to leave in the ignition. I was hoping to find someone with this vehicle to tell me if it was like the Wrangler and did not have a locking steering column. Manual says it is flat-towable so there has to be a way.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhood View Post
Problem is the dang battery in this thing is under the front passenger seat and not that easy to get to. Also, it is a push button start, so no key to leave in the ignition. I was hoping to find someone with this vehicle to tell me if it was like the Wrangler and did not have a locking steering column. Manual says it is flat-towable so there has to be a way.
I posted a reply in the other thread you started on the same topic.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:07 AM   #5

If it's flat towable thats a big plus. Half the problem is solved. Since the battery isn't in the engine bay there will be a relay or junction readily accessible under the hood. I would take it to the service manager at the dealer and lay out these questions. Another question I would ask is, since it's flat towable is there a limit on how far and or how fast it can be towed.
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:04 PM   #6

My 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk works great as a toad. My understanding is you need a Jeep with the QudraTrak II transmission.
barryfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:30 AM   #7

We just bought a Wrangler Sierra so we could flat tow. I was wondering about the steering, I’m guessing it does not lock. The manual does not say anything about a locking steering.
unzinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by unzinators View Post
We just bought a Wrangler Sierra so we could flat tow. I was wondering about the steering, I’m guessing it does not lock. The manual does not say anything about a locking steering.
My 2014 Wrangler has no steering lock. Somewhere around 2008 Wrangler lost the steering lock which makes flat towing so much easier. Hook up, key off or removed, put transfer case in N and if manual transmission in 2nd. Don’t forget to put transfer case in N. Please don’t ask me how I know.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:34 AM   #9

Perfect! Mine is a 2017 so I’m good! Thanks for the info! I plan on following the steps in the manual to flat tow to a “T”!!
unzinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #10

Just traded a 2017 Wrangler Sahara. No locking steering column.