Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #1

Newbe,looking at a RedHawk 26xd or 26x-1

I'm looking to buy my first motorhome..my questions are does the master bed fold up when the side comes in..aka you can't use it unless the side is out?and the old ford vs chevy thing?thanks..I was also looking at the coachman Freelander 26rs any input would be great...thanks again..
Mudduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #2

The 2016 Ford has the 6 speed transmission, and it makes a world of difference!

Yes, the bed folds up, but we still use it... one or even both of us use it when it's folded up, as there is still room to get in. For a quick nap at a rest stop, or over night at a Walmart, I usually use the cab-over bunk, or the couch (if the dogs haven't gotten to it first! lol).

The 26XD is by far the best motorhome that we've ever owned, just the right size, and the 2 year warranty gives great piece of mind.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:49 PM   #3

6 speed?

I thought the chevy had the 6 speed and the ford had the 5?sounds dumb but what type of mpg are you getting?ford or chevy,I don't mine ether...
Old 02-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #4

Nope, it's the Ford... I know because that's what we bought.

We got a bit over 11 mpg on our last trip to Florida.

We really love it!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 02-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #5

Thank you so much for your reply...there is so much junk being made nowadays and to think spending 60,000 is not on the high end is crazy..i just want to make the right choice...I can't rely on the dealers to tell me the truth..thanks again..
Old 02-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #6

Smile Redhawk 26XD

You're very welcome!

How many are going to be camping in the Redhawk? With my wife and I, and usually 3 of the dogs, we're very comfortable. We love the size, as it's easy to maneuver in parking lots. We like to stop frequently and just play tourist, and it's easy to do in that size rig.

If you ever get the chance, try and visit the factory in Middlebury, IN., and take the tour. You can take both the travel trailer and motor home tour, and their both free.

If you get to the point at the dealership where you're ready to make the purchase, THEN, negotiate in some of the extra stuff that you want. We went for the MaXXair Vent covers and reversible fans, slide toppers, and mounted spare tire & tire carrier ( Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories ). It's amazing how much the dealer will throw in to make the deal happen.

Let me know if I can be of any help!

Happy and safe camping
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Cairn Terrier
Old 02-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #7

Myself the wife and my two girls 12 and 10 and my pain in the butt dachshund..lol..i was working on a deal for a new 2016 with the chevy motor..I like the ford but we'll see what deal we come up with..my dealer wanted $1,700 for the toppers..I wanted the max aire vent cover added on too..
Old 02-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudduck View Post
Myself the wife and my two girls 12 and 10 and my pain in the butt dachshund..lol..i was working on a deal for a new 2016 with the chevy motor..I like the ford but we'll see what deal we come up with..my dealer wanted $1,700 for the toppers..I wanted the max aire vent cover added on too..
My understanding is that Chevy stopped production on chassis awhile ago.

You should confirm the chassis year before you buy. That way you will know what you are buying and not have a disturbing discovery. It is not unusual to have a chasis that is a model year older than the house on top but sometimes people get bent out of shape when discovered.

I have a Chevy 4500 chasis and it is the best handeling motorhome I have driven. Great power and tracks perfectly.

Personally check the date code on the tires. You don't want tires that are 2 or3 years old on a new motorhome. My 2013 had 2011 tires and rotted out within a few months of ownership lasy year (bought slightly used).
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #9

I called jayco and they told me that they are still making them on the chevy chassis..just not as many as the ford chassis..thank you about the tire date check,I never would have thought of that...
Old 05-05-2016, 09:48 AM   #10

Smile Redhawk 26XD test drive

Decided to put money down on the Redhawk 26XD, picking it up next week. IT just flat out handled better and the interior workmanship and floor plan seemed to fit us best,for out first RV. Wish us luck!
Nighthawk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:36 PM   #11

I love ours,just the right size I drive it everywhere...took it to my girls dance competition last week..everyone wanted it go for a ride..
Old 05-06-2016, 06:10 AM   #12

Did you get the 6 Speed Transmission?
Nighthawk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:10 AM   #13

Yes I did get the 6speed.I love driving it so smooth...if it wasn't for this forum I would have never got it..I have learned so much because of this forum..
Old 05-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #14

RedHawk 26

Same experience here. Sometimes we just go for a drive on the weekend for fun👍

« Gps | Radio Use »