Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2021, 01:23 PM   #21

Oh Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Back in or pull through the site. Turn off the engine. Open a beer and wait for the rain to stop. That's worked for me every time.
Now this IS the best advice I've heard today!
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdktm View Post
Because of covid, we have driven more miles and spent more nights away from home in our RV than we ever have. It's a great way to social-isolate.
X2 that.
22 trips in 2020 because of Covid. Best year yet and it's not going to stop us this year either.
As for the rain, in the 2 years and 3 months that we have the RV now, I got wet once. I am really not worried about that.
KregChar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:49 PM   #23

Beware tailswing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacavillebob View Post
I purchased a new Class C Jayco motorhome last March and still have not taken on its first trip because of the covid. But I plan on driving around the US this spring or summer. My question is when in a camp site and hooking up to the shore power and dump tanks if its raining what is the best way to get this done safely and stay somewhat dry. Not sure about plugging and unplugging the power cord in a heavy rain. Any suggestions are welcome.
First tip is BEWARE TAILSWING, make sure rear bumper CLEAR of GAS PUMPS/ obstacles BEFORE turning steering wheel; 2nd TIP is WAIT for a BREAK in the rain :-)
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:55 PM   #24

As mentioned above the really good surge protector is good investment. Ours saved our coach I think last week when I inadvertently overloaded the circuit. Oops!!

Also consider a pressure regulator for the fresh water hose. Some RV parks and campsites have extraordinary pressure, which I guess can blow some of your plumbing in the coach. On the other hand, some places have almost a trickle...lol.

Can't comment on rain safety. In our almost 2 years we haven't encountered enough for concern. I guess cause we have been primarily in the high drought area of the southwest. That said, I have taken note of all advice given here should we get so lucky!!

Happy trails...and get out there and enjoy that new rig. You won't come in close contact with much of anyone..hollering distance is about it.
Silvernelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenne1713 View Post
First tip is BEWARE TAILSWING, make sure rear bumper CLEAR of GAS PUMPS/ obstacles BEFORE turning steering wheel; 2nd TIP is WAIT for a BREAK in the rain :-)
Excellent point, on a similar note to be aware of, if you are at an intersection where you have two lanes going in your direction and you are in the right lane taking a sharp right turn to go right, your tail section will swing left out of your lane and into the lane left of you and if there are any vehicles in the lane left of you, you would likely hit them. ~CA
Old 01-27-2021, 02:09 PM   #26

It might be worth it to see them wade out in the rain and tell me
greyhawktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:20 PM   #27

I just getter all done except sewer hose do that when need to drain tanks. Breaker off at pedestal, back on after plug in thinking all the time that beer is getting colder. All done and tast even better.🍻
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:08 PM   #28

Quote:
I purchased a new Class C Jayco motorhome last March and still have not taken on its first trip because of the covid. But I plan on driving around the US this spring or summer. My question is when in a camp site and hooking up to the shore power and dump tanks if its raining what is the best way to get this done safely and stay somewhat dry. Not sure about plugging and unplugging the power cord in a heavy rain. Any suggestions are welcome.
Follow the safety advice of other but I suggest buying a good rain coat or a set of foul weather set. I purchased a 3/4 length rain jacket with hood, (DW thinks I look like a flasher in it!), and I wear flip flops if it’s raining hard. I’d rather just dry my feet then wash Sox and dry out my shoes/sneakers!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:36 PM   #29

Make sure breaker is OFF. Get a good surge protector/ electrical management device, (VERY happy with my Southwire 34931) heavy rubber rain boots, lineman's gloves, and a piece of thick rubber to flip the breaker on after everything is hooked up. Oh, yeah, might want a good raincoat too. This is how I do it even when it's dry, except I wear Crocs then. I try not to screw around with electricity.
Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Take your class c for a long drive around large trucks and when you get tired of it swaying all over the place ask the people here for the modifications to make it handle well. This can be all fixed before your first camping trip so you will feel safe while driving it. I use a rain coat, gloves, beer and turn the breaker off before I plug in.
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:13 PM   #31

Good quality electrical post checker /surge protector and water pressure regulator are crucial. A raincoat will keep you dry enough. As others have said, turn off breaker at pedestal, plug in tester/protector, turn on power; if good turn off breaker, attach camper cord to tester/protector, turn on pedestal power. Don't put up with backward wired posts, burned receptacles and other shoddy stuff at a camp. Doesn't take that long to plug in and unless it's really pouring you won't get that wet. But maybe we're just used to rain here...

Keep reading, this forum is rich, watch videos, make lists and instruction sheets for quick reference, make modifications as you see fit, and soon you'll be right at home with your unit on the road and in any camp - and you will be among friends there.

Best wishes for many happy travels and memories.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdktm View Post
Because of covid, we have driven more miles and spent more nights away from home in our RV than we ever have. It's a great way to social-isolate.
I agree with this too. We have been out during the week, usually at Texas state parks when fewer people are there. We use a hot spot and a cell booster (they really, really work!!) and do our 'WFH thing' while staying away from crowds.

It seems counterintuitive to me to *not* camp during a pandemic since you are usually able to stay pretty far apart from other campers. We have even visited camps from Sunday-Wednesday where we were some of the only 3 or 4 RVs in sight.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote